HP ProLiant MicroServer N36L Owner's Thread - Part 3

try taking a look on youtube. There's a great video by an Australian tech blog on how to strip your microserver to get to the RAM, pretty straightforward (I did it last night)

Here -

I everybody, I have a problem: I can't remove the motherboard 'cause there are 2 screws at the end of the tray so I can't upgrade the ram. Can you help me??? It's impossible for me to remove the motherboard for an upgrade???
Unscrew them then, dear god.

Anyone had any issues getting theirs to turn on properly?

I usually have mine switched off for days on end as it's currently a secondary backup for my main NAS, but the last few times I've tried to start it the HP logo goes red then off. The logo doesn't turn blue and it doesn't boot up.

If I connect a monitor then nothing is displayed (the monitor goes into power saving mode as if it's not getting any signal at all) during the attempted bootup. I have to hold down the power button to turn it back off, and when trying again the logo doesn't even turn red unless I unplug from the mains first.

I initially thought maybe there was a bios setting so it needed a USB keyboard attached but no joy. Seems a strange intermittant fault as it does eventually start up if I try enough times.

Maybe there's a loose connection inside (it was boxed up and relocated during a house move earlier in the year), but with it being so tight in there I don't really want to have to strip it down to check all connections.

Otherwise it looks like it may have developed a fault. :(

Edit: Looking at that YouTube vid tuttonp has just posed I think I'll give it a go stripping it down to check all connections and reseat the ram etc, to see if that fixes it.

Last edited:
Unscrew them then, dear god.

On a slightly more helpful note. There's an allen key to fit the screw head clipped into the inside of the door to loosen them.

tuttonp said:
On a slightly more helpful note. There's an allen key to fit the screw head clipped into the inside of the door to loosen them.

You turn them with your digits!

You turn them with your digits!

Providing they've not been done up too tight, yes

But the allen key does fit into the screw tops to loosen them if required

(Maybe we're all not a super butch as you :) )

tuttonp said:
Providing they've not been done up too tight, yes

But the allen key does fit into the screw tops to loosen them if required

(Maybe we're all not a super butch as you :) )

If you've been tugging on it then it's going to be tight, give your mainboard a little push back and the tension will go.

A few little wiggles and it will come free.

Seriously, should you be in there??

Probably best to address that question to the guy struggling to unscrew his thumbscrews (mine were loose)

After 9yrs of rebuilding my PC's, HTPC's and Laptop's I'm comfortable sticking my hands inside computers.

Anyway, back on topic :)

nuffio said:
I everybody, I have a problem: I can't remove the motherboard 'cause there are 2 screws at the end of the tray so I can't upgrade the ram. Can you help me??? It's impossible for me to remove the motherboard for an upgrade???

Is this a joke?

Those 2 screws are thumb screws. Undo them (not surprisingly, using your thumb) and then the leads and pull the mobo out.

Is this a joke?

Those 2 screws are thumb screws. Undo them (not surprisingly, using your thumb) and then the leads and pull the mobo out.

Don't forget to welcome the new member to AVForums ...

... and don't forget that there is a mixed level of knowledge around, eh?

Probably best to address that question to the guy struggling to unscrew his thumbscrews (mine were loose)

After 9yrs of rebuilding my PC's, HTPC's and Laptop's I'm comfortable sticking my hands inside computers.

Anyway, back on topic :)

Missing reference in post from moi, you knew what I meant :smashin:

Don't forget to welcome the new member to AVForums ...

... and don't forget that there is a mixed level of knowledge around, eh?
I'm all for mixed level of knowledge, but if something is screwed in and you can clearly see that, surely a monkey would know that you unscrew it to remove it?

So the guy knows to take the screws out, now can we leave that one be. There's no need to rip someone for asking a question.

Can I add a PCI 800 Firewire card to this and connect it to a mac mini server? I've got WHS 11 installed and then 4x2TB set up in Raid 5. Could I keep the raid, or would I have to reinstall all the data (presuming I can connect it to a mac mini server for this purpose)

Anyone? :lease:

Well, got mine working again. Did a CMOS reset and moved one of the hard drives to slot 1 (the leftmost slot) as I had left that empty. :facepalm:

Seems to have sorted the problem with it not booting reliably.

However I couldn't remove the mini-SAS connector from the motherboard to allow me to pull out the motherboard further to get access to the ram. As I'm now looking at upgrading the ram I'm wondering if there's a knack to removing this connector? I tried pressing the silver latch thing and pulling bit it won't budge. Feels like I'm going to damage the socket's connection to the motherboard if I try to force it. I'm assuming they've not glued it in place? :rolleyes:

Nah!

Fairly common problem

Some of them are exceedingly tight

Try using a tiny electricians screwdriver to trigger the latch

Long strong nails are essential for moving jumpers (showing my age :(), strumming and fiddley connectors! The SAS outer shell is designed to be a very snug fit for shielding purposes, ensure that you are lifting it completely vertical as it's in quite deep.

That feeling of breaking your new baby is awful I know.

Yes if you use an screwdriver and push it in just below the actual connector you should hear it click as it comes undone.

Ok, thanks for the help, will give it another try later.

Has anyone managed to get Windows installed and working on a USB flash drive, to take advantage of the internal USB connector as some have with Unraid and other non-Windows operating systems?

Got wondering about this after looking through http://www.avforums.com/forums/networking-nas/1429720-tims-7-24tb-tiddler-unraid-nas.html for tips on dismantling the server and seeing he'd got Unraid booting from a USB drive.

I've seen reports elsewhere that Windows won't boot from USB due to the USB drivers not being loaded at boot time so wondered if the HP BIOS settings to allow a USB device to emulate a DVD or Hard Drive solve that problem?

As 16gb or 32gb flash drives are very cheap now I'd prefer running windows from that than taking up a drive bay for the operating system.

Hi guys
What sort of transfer speeds are you guys getting?

Not sure whats changed but I'm getting 256kb/s on a 36GB file.
Running windows 7 client and WHS 2011 on server

It's gonna take ages:mad::thumbsdow

Hi guys,

First post on this forum, Been a long time user though some great threads on here.
Looking at the N40L from dabs for £239.98

I'll be purchasing one of these units next week as the rebate offer is not valid until the end of the year at least.
HP ProLiant Microserver G7 N40L NHP EU SVR (658553-421) - dabs.com

Undecided on which graphics card to use? really want to use a Nvidia GeForce 430 or a 220 low-profile.
But concerned that there is a 25watt limit for cards? Would either of those options be ok?

Also I was looking at Quadro Cards due to better picture quality etc but couldnt find anything reasonable? Any suggestions please?

I am looking at purchasing 8Gb of non-ECC RAM due to price, Should this be a major worry?
I was specifically looking at these sticks for £32
Corsair CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 XMS3 8GB Two Memory Module Kit: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

I also wanted to put in a dedicated RAID card for the drives, This was what I am currently looking at. Anything better price / performance wise?
Highpoint RocketRAID 2300(RR2300) 4 channel Internal PCI-e x1 to SATA II RAID controller(card) - RR2300 - Scan.co.uk

I understand these units only have 2 PCIe slots 1x16 and the other is 1x. But there is mention of a management card?
Could I not use something like this instead?
Xeno Pro Killer NIC: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

I wont be buying the drives until Q2 2012 due to the price at the moment so I'll leave that for the moment. I understand the WD Green series are quite good, Alot of people also seem to like the Samsung F4 drives. What's your thoughts about drives?

I will be using this for ESXi which I'll host on a USB stick, The Super Talent one's are supposed to be best in class?

I want to utilise this a my home network storage device and DLNA streaming server mainly.
I am thinking of using unRAID and either XBMC or Plex? Any better options?

I was also looking at possibly using WHS in another VM session to back-up the laptop as well? Or Can I do this with unRAID and rSync?

This will be the first time I am using VM's is all the above possible?
The last thing which does concern me is Heat. What have people done or can do to help keep this system cool? Cost efficient ideas please :)
Anything else to consider?
Sorry for the long winded first post just wanted to hit most of the bases in one hit ;)

Last edited:
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
I broke the metal clip on the SAS connector as I was struggling to pull it out. :(

Yes it's a really poor design. Probably by the same guy who designed the scart and then went overboard after the criticism of how easy they came out. :laugh:

I've decided 1gb ram is enough for now (so I can avoid damaging mine) and will stick to Windows Server 2003 (works well enough with the right drivers for the AMD embedded stuff) instead of anything newer that requires more resource. :rolleyes:

Hi guys,

First post on this forum, Been a long time user though some great threads on here.
Looking at the N40L from dabs for £239.98

I'll be purchasing one of these units next week as the rebate offer is not valid until the end of the year at least.
HP ProLiant Microserver G7 N40L NHP EU SVR (658553-421) - dabs.com
I will be using this for ESXi which I'll host on a USB stick, The Super Talent one's are supposed to be best in class?
This is the N36L thread not the N40L thread but anyway, for what you want this might be good:
HP RB-404, RB-414, SH-S222AB/BEBE, KVR1333D3N9/4G, ESXI5-HYPERVISOR, 658553421-VMSKIN Special Edition ProLiant MicroServer N40L 'ESXi 5 Testbed' Bundle | ServersPlus

£269 but already upgraded to 8GB ram, has a DVD writer included aswell and a 2GB memory stick with ESXi installer on it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom