Quantcast

HP ProLiant MicroServer GEN8 G1610T for Plex server?

Corbula

Hey all, I've been looking recently for something low powered and small that can be always on and used as a Plex Media server to transcode 1080p video.

I was looking at a QNAP but they are quite expensive and don't really have a great CPU in them for transcoding. Then I came across this, http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/products/proliant-servers/product-detail.html?oid=5384977#!tab=specs

From what I've been able to work out the processor gets a passmark of just over 2300 so think it might be ok to transcode even 2 1080p video but wanted to get the opinion of you guys or even if someone has one of these.

What do you guys think?

Thanks

Corbula

Thanks.

I have seen and looked through that however that list is for NAS devices and doesn't include the one I'm talking about above.

cjed

Interestingly the only CPUs in that list that have an unqualified "yes" in the single 1080p transcoding column have i3 or Xeon CPUs of 3GHz or faster - with passmarks of > 4000. It seems unlikely that the G1610T will be able to transcode 2 1080p video streams.

A little more investigation give this page with some figures for 1080p transcode to Passmark equivalence. This suggests that the G1610T might support a single 1080p transcode stream.

Last edited:

richard plumb

This has £60 cashback at the moment from HP, so it is only £120 from ebuyer at the moment (£180 before cashback)

what will it need to transcode to? tbh most of my content these days only needs a change of container, so even a relatively low powered CPU should be ok. I'm not sure what an ipad can play though - eg can it take a 1080p MKV converted to 1080p AVC?

I'm assuming the plex requirements are based on full transcoding to a different resolution/bitrate?

I still have my old N34L microserver with 6 drives, but I use my mac mini as the plex server. Consolidating that into one box would be handy.

cjed

You might have problems fitting 6 drives into a Gen8 Microserver - there's not as much space available in the Optical Drive bay at the top. However, as the CPU is socketed in the Gen8, there are options for more CPU horsepower if really required.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
I run plex from a hp microserver.
For ipad, get an app that supports file playback natively, such as buzz player hd, this has full network functionality and means no transcoding is necessary on the server.

Corbula

Thanks for resurrecting this thread guys.

I've actually decided at what might be a better solution for me is to use my home PC to transcode and stream media which it's doing fine and instead of using the HP microserver to download (which was the plan) I thinking of using a Raspberry Pi 2.

Raspberry Pi 2 with an attached portable HDD setup to download and organise then copy them over to my main PC to stream it when I need to.

It would be much cheaper and would probably suit all of my needs tbh.

Tom Tom

Thanks for this, having been looking at the new Shield TV but that seems to have issues with Plex losing files randomly and for it to be a better fit I would need the £280 pro version. The gaming stuff would be nice, but my main reason was for Plex so I can turn off my Desktop.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Thanks for this, having been looking at the new Shield TV but that seems to have issues with Plex losing files randomly and for it to be a better fit I would need the £280 pro version. The gaming stuff would be nice, but my main reason was for Plex so I can turn off my Desktop.
The thread is from 2015, but in any case yes, the 16GB shield , if used as a Plex server, will not have enough space for a large library and will lose content.
Its fine as a client and needs no transcoding though, so an excellent player, a crap server.

Tom Tom

The thread is from 2015, but in any case yes, the 16GB shield , if used as a Plex server, will not have enough space for a large library and will lose content.
Its fine as a client and needs no transcoding though, so an excellent player, a crap server.
Thanks for the reply, My question for £125 is the Proliant a good option as I want a Plex server to transcode multiple streams (although it is a largely shared library, I never seem to have more that 2 streams at a time). There is a mix of SD content to H265 content.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply, My question for £125 is the Proliant a good option as I want a Plex server to transcode multiple streams (although it is a largely shared library, I never seem to have more that 2 streams at a time). There is a mix of SD content to H265 content.
Not really, none of the off the shelf microservers are good for transcoding.
They are great as file servers to capable clients , no good for trancoding at all.
Plan it properly and you shouldnt need to trancode.
For example , the VLC app can play anything on iOS without transcoding, a shield or other media box can play content from it for the TV and so on.

Last edited: