• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HP Pavilion zd7000 laptop power jack problem

addyb

Distinguished Member
Hi all, ok well thought id post this in here to see if anyone else has encountered the same problem before.
Ok i have a HP Pavilion ZD7000 laptop and recently the main power connector has gone completely so basically when i plug in the power jack into the socket it doesnt seem to connect properly internally, therefore wont charge the battery at all. If you try and slightly wiggle the lead the jack just falls out. My only work around at the moment is to plug the power supply into my media cable (for usage with my projector) that i have and this charges the battery but also mutes the sound so i have to plug some speakers in seperately. (those with this laptop will know what i mean).
Anyway i was going to upgrade this year and sell my current laptop but would prefer to try and get this fixed before i do. Does anyone know cost wise how much this would cost? I know it prob wont be cheap as i heard the connector itself is soldered onto the system board internally. Its not under warranty anymore so thats out of the window.
The laptop does work absolutely fine with the media cable and as i always have the laptop set up in the kitchen its not a problem with speaker setup etc.. just becomes a pain when i want to have it on my lap so to speak!!

So if anyone out there has had the same problem, got it fixed, or knows the probable cost to get it fixed. Please let me know!

Cheers!

Uridium

Distinguished Member
Afraid you'll need a new system board.

I had a similar problem with a Compaq laptop, Unfortunatley mine "fell" ahem.. off a table and was replaced by my home insurance company under new for old.

Have since picked up a system board off Ebay and swapped it out myself, pretty easy swap really.

maybe worth keeping an eye on the bay for a system board as they do often come up (usually laptops with bust TFT's being sold as parts.

addyb

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the reply!

Yes was thinking that i would prob need to swap the system board. Cheers for that. Ill keep my eyes peeled on the bay!

addyb

Distinguished Member
Mmmm just been on a few sites regarding my problem and quite a few people said i just need the actual power jack replacing. Not sure how to go about this. I can get the part on ebay.. im unsure if it needs soldering or it just slots/clips onto the board etc!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom