HP Pavilion DV9000 Laptop Screen Problems

JoeF2k2

Banned
got this laptop and all of a sudden when i turn it on, the screen is just blank and nothing happens? the lights and everything is running just i get a blank screen? any ideas

JoeF2k2

Banned
i have not tried this no, is it pretty sraight forward taking a laptop bits out, done pc many timies before but never a laptop

Ital71

Novice Member
There is two philips no1 screws in a plastic cover it should have a symbol like two squares side by side under that cover will be the memory. Dont forget to disconnect the mains and take out the battery before removing the memory. The memory has a lever either side of the they should lift out pretty easily, then reseat them and power up.
Hope that helps

lnicol

Standard Member
Hi,

I've had a similar problem with my HP laptop. I can hear the laptop load up but the screen remains blank. I can connect to another screen and it operates okay on that, so I presume the ggraphics card is okay. I tried removing the memory cards as you suggested, but this didn't work.
I did wonder if there were any of the function keys that would switch the screen OFF, that may have been pressed accidentally.
Any suggestions would be appreciated

cheers

Lindsay

Crash_Override

Standard Member
got this laptop and all of a sudden when i turn it on, the screen is just blank and nothing happens? the lights and everything is running just i get a blank screen? any ideas

Hi, I am assuming your location is Bolton UK?

The HP DV9000 can be prone to motherboard problems, most notably the video IC can overheat and desolder itself from the board partially causing the exact problem you have described. I have had 2 do the same thing so far and have someone local who has the equipment to remove and resolder the IC, curing the problem. (basically he has access to a professional rework station) as the company he works for is currently repairing motherboards for HP themselves with this problem. If you don't get any joy out of the solutions posted let me know via a pm as I am only in Oldham and I'll see about arranging a repair for you. Worst case is if the screen itself is faulty but the motherboard is fine, but he can supply replacement 17" screens for under 100 fitted so if it does cost, you know the bill will be under that limit.

Love the DV9000 machines, the media remote is useful, shame about the video faults.

[mod comment by graham.myers]Post reinstated, poster clarified position]

Last edited by a moderator:

Crash_Override

Standard Member
Ok, spoken to graham and clarified the position.

The problems the dv suffer is as my previous post, I have someone I use for SMD . BGA rework who can repair these machines and will be willing to pass the details on should anyone need them. (For clarification to other mods than graham, speak to him as the situation is I do not get anything out of the referral other than a verbal thank you) I have also spoken to my SMD guy and he says there is a power management IC on the dv9000 motherboards that controls the TFT panel powering on and this also has a tendency to blow.

lnicol

Standard Member
Hi,

Thanks for the info. The computer is only 18mth old so we are hoping to get this repaired and paid for by HP. I'm sure the info you have provided will be helpful. We tried getting PC world to fix it, but they said we had to go back to HP, prove it was a manufaturing fault, get it fixed and hope they would pay the bill. Unfortunately we live in Shetland, so getting the work carried out isn't quite so straight forward, but we are looking at a couple of options. We'll see how we get on.

manwagy2004

Standard Member
Hi there I have a DV9500 model 9572ea ( on turning it on the lights come on and the screen comes on but there is no display.
I was wondering if you can email me the the person who could fix it. I really do like the machine and hate to lose it. For under a 100 pounds its worth it.

Attached is a pic of it as well
[Mod Comment: Removed email]
Thansk and appreciate it.

Hi, I am assuming your location is Bolton UK?

The HP DV9000 can be prone to motherboard problems, most notably the video IC can overheat and desolder itself from the board partially causing the exact problem you have described. I have had 2 do the same thing so far and have someone local who has the equipment to remove and resolder the IC, curing the problem. (basically he has access to a professional rework station) as the company he works for is currently repairing motherboards for HP themselves with this problem. If you don't get any joy out of the solutions posted let me know via a pm as I am only in Oldham and I'll see about arranging a repair for you. Worst case is if the screen itself is faulty but the motherboard is fine, but he can supply replacement 17" screens for under 100 fitted so if it does cost, you know the bill will be under that limit.

Love the DV9000 machines, the media remote is useful, shame about the video faults.

[mod comment by graham.myers]Post reinstated, poster clarified position]

Attachments

• DV9500.jpg
    DV9500.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 9,099
Last edited by a moderator:

craig8661

there a very good laptop but are prone to the ic chip desoldering on the mother bored we have stopped using ours at the min and are using two acers 5315's also is yours a amd by any chance been told the amd's are more likley to go wrong due to the high tempretures the prosesers run at

manwagy2004

Standard Member
Thanks for the reply.... Mine is an Intel based machine. So do you think its the motherboard. Can anything be done to slove the problem. Cheers.

there a very good laptop but are prone to the ic chip desoldering on the mother bored we have stopped using ours at the min and are using two acers 5315's also is yours a amd by any chance been told the amd's are more likley to go wrong due to the high tempretures the prosesers run at

Crash_Override

Standard Member
Make sure you have the latest bios installed as it changes the thermal management profile to run the fan more and keep it cooler.

on a seperate note can someone edit manwagy's post and remove the email address?

brenjenn

Standard Member
There is two philips no1 screws in a plastic cover it should have a symbol like two squares side by side under that cover will be the memory. Dont forget to disconnect the mains and take out the battery before removing the memory. The memory has a lever either side of the they should lift out pretty easily, then reseat them and power up.
Hope that helps

hey buddy i too have the same problem with my hp latop...i did remove the RAM and refit it back...but still am nto able to get the laptop to work again...any thoughts???

kchain

It does seem like this is a very common problem with the HP DV9500 as well.

I brought mine (a DV9655) from Staples nearly 2 years ago and even though it was out of warranty they offered a partial refund (90%) of the original price as they were well aware of this particular fault. Just had to mention the sales of good act to them and get a letter from a PC repairer stating what the problem was and they were very helpful in sorting me out.

I also followed a you tube video that showed how to fix it using a £15 heat gun and a wing and a prayer. This fix only lasted about a week though before it went again so I wouldn't rely on this as a long term solution. But it wasn't too difficult if you're reasonably competent at following instructions and undoing screws - I only had 3 left over once I reassembled it :rolleyes:.

The cooling on these is appalling though, one fan and two copper arms to cool the CPU and two graphics chips! The fan was well clogged up with dust as well - no wonder it ran so hot all the time.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom