HP or ASUS?

SteveNovice

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have recently bought the HP G72-102 for my folks christmas present for £399 from comet. The laptop has an i3 processor, 2gb of RAM, 250gb hard drive and a 17" screen. Buy HP G72-102 | 17.3" WIDESCREEN LAPTOP - Laptops | Comet

I have looked on the comet site and they are now doing an ASUS X52F-EX486V for the same price. This also has an i3 processor, but has 3gb of RAM and 320gb hard drive. Buy ASUS X52F-EX486V | 15.6" LAPTOP - Laptops | Comet

As the laptop i have bought is a christmas present I havent opened it yet and i am able to take it back. My question is would people recommend exchanging the HP for the ASUS? Are ASUS a good make?

What are peoples thoughts?

Thanks
Steve

I doubt parents would need anymore than 250gig but that extra gig or ram would come in handy. 2gb is minimum really these days. As far as i know ASUS are every bit as good as HP

IAs far as i know ASUS are every bit as good as HP

that's a bit of an insult to ASUS! ;)

I personally would go for the ASUS, brilliant reliability (I've never had an ASUS let me down),slightly faster CPU, bigger HDD and more RAM and I also think it looks better

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply guys. I wasnt sure if ASUS were a cheap make so thought id check it out first. Would you say it is a good deal for £399? (I get 10% off at comet so actually getting it for £360. Plus an extra £10 off by going through a cashback site!)

Thanks for the reply guys. I wasnt sure if ASUS were a cheap make so thought id check it out first. Would you say it is a good deal for £399? (I get 10% off at comet so actually getting it for £360. Plus an extra £10 off by going through a cashback site!)

well ASUS are a well regarded component company, they are famous for their brilliant mobos and they are the company that invented the netbook as we know it. They have been quietly building their reputation with their own branded computers and those machines are a bit of a hidden gem but it's good to see they are becoming more available in the UK.

For £400 odd, the best deals I could see from Comet were the HP and ASUS that you posted, so my vote is still for the ASUS :thumbsup:

p.s. corrected my other post, meant to say "I've never had an ASUS let me down"

Thanks dc8900.

Would you mind answering 1 more question? The write up for the HP says it has Intel HM55 graphics (or something like that). I read a few reviews which said that this wasnt great but I thought that as the laptop is for my folks they wont exactly be playing many games on it! The ASUS write up doesnt give any details of the graphics card, is this also likely to be something basic like the HM55 shared graphics the HP has?

Sorry if it is a stupid question!
Steve

Thanks dc8900.

Would you mind answering 1 more question? The write up for the HP says it has Intel HM55 graphics (or something like that). I read a few reviews which said that this wasnt great but I thought that as the laptop is for my folks they wont exactly be playing many games on it! The ASUS write up doesnt give any details of the graphics card, is this also likely to be something basic like the HM55 shared graphics the HP has?

Sorry if it is a stupid question!
Steve

no it's not a stupid question :thumbsup: well, I've found more detailed specs for the ASUS here: ASUS X52F-EX486V Laptop | Laskys.com

as you can see, it states it's shared. For your parents, it will be fine for their needs

dc8900

I exchange the HP for the ASUS this morning and ive got to say its a great decision. The ASUS seems 100% better.

Thanks for your advice.

dc8900

I exchange the HP for the ASUS this morning and ive got to say its a great decision. The ASUS seems 100% better.

Thanks for your advice.

that's great to hear :thumbsup: like I said, ASUS is a bit of a hidden gem that few seem to know about :thumbsup:

Asus are an OEM manufacturer, they make kit for a lot of people who you might consider a premium brand. It's only in the last few years that they have really pushed their own branded kit. Asus even manufacturer some parts for HP :)

HP are also fantastic, but not on their low-mid consumer range where they are no better than any others in the same market space. Their business ranges are excellent.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom