HP N40L esata issue

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by RaringCoder, Mar 13, 2013.

1. RaringCoder

RaringCoder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I recently bought the HP N40L as a home NAS system. I've connected an IcyBox 5.25" caddy to it, inside which sits a blu-ray player.

It connects and is recognised initially fine, and the drive can be seen in My Computer. Then randomly after a period of use (say, 5 or 10 minutes), it drops off the radar. There are some errors in the event viewer, one error titled "cdrom" and a warning titled "atapi", both of which don't yield anything obvious other than memory dumps. Also strangely, as I type this, it has dropped off but the copy I'm doing from the blu-ray drive is still progressing.

I have verified that the issue isn't with the caddy, the drive itself, or the cable because it works when plugged into my laptop.

Does anyone know if there are some BIOS settings / power management settings that are attributable to this issue?

Cheers.

EDIT
    ===

OK so when I thought it was continuing to read, it was in fact not working correctly. The data it read after disappearing was corrupt. I'm going to try the same read on my laptop tonight to re-confirm that the caddy / cable / drive work as expected.

One last thing for me to try is instead of connecting the caddy via esata, connect via USB instead and see if it disappears again.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  2. nacmacfeegle

nacmacfeegle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,488
    The E-sata port on these units is notoriously picky about cables for some reason. A few guys have had issues when using the top slot for an additional internal drive via this connection
    Perhaps try some other E-sata cables, or as you say stick with USB.
    If you have nothing in the top optical slot you could always shove it in there for further testing etc, and connect the sata on the drive to the motherboard port.
    I can't help you further as I have 3 drives nestling in my optical drive space!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  3. RaringCoder

RaringCoder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi mate,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realise they were picky. I've got another (albeit ridiculously short) e-sata cable to try, I'll give that a whirl after me tea.

4. RaringCoder

RaringCoder
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Unfortunately another wire has the same issues, though obviously this doesn't preclude this wire from also being at fault.