• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

HP Microserver

deep1986

Established Member
Hi everyone,

I've currently got a 4 bay Synology. My uncle wants to get a NAS drive and I would sell him my Synology and buy HP Microserver in place.

Now I would use it for streaming tv shows (SD, 720p and 1080p), streaming DVD's I've ripped, storing music and finally for downloading on Usenet.

The streaming stuff I assume would be quite easy but would the Usenet be possible on a microserver?

I currently have Sickbeard set up on my Synology, its not perfect but it does an ok job. I've tried to use Sabnzb but I found it very flaky.

So will I be able to do the above?

Thanks Guys

Deep

deep1986

Established Member
From my limited research I'd end up using WHS.

I would soley use it as a NAS. I already have an Acer Revo for my HTPC needs, I just need something that'll stream at 1080p to XBMC, download and repair downloads automatically.

I'm not a fan of the DSM web based system tbh, I much prefer creating Windows Network folders and fiddling from in there, I think that with WHS it'd be easier to do.

Another issue I have is that if it's connected to my router and then the router is cabled to my Acer Revo (XBMC Live) and my laptop is connected wirelessly, is it possible to access all the information using my laptop (Windows 7Prof)

themediaman

Established Member
Found this post.................

WHS and newsgroups (USENET) - AVS Forum

So think it may be fairly easy to set up on WHS.......

You can map shares on your NAS/Micro-server on any PC/Laptop on your Local Network, allowing you to move files about, access them on that specific device..............but you will be limited to wireless transfer speeds essentially.........

deep1986

Established Member
That link is brilliant.

I'm going to order on Tuesday probably, take the HDD's out my Synology and use this one.

Hopefully in 6 months the price of HDDs will normalise, as I want to buy 2x3tb and 3x2tb drives! So will have a healthy amount of storage!

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom