HP Microserver problem. Please help!

Moomz

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have had my microserver (N40L) for about a year and a half and have just started to put it together a couple of days ago. I have loaded it with 4x3tb hard drives and have installed the 250gb drive to where the ODD should be. Cabled it up properly and everything up until now has gone smoothly.

I have just switched it on for the first time (I didn't try it, stupidly, before making hardware changes) and I'm not getting any signal to my monitor. I have tried to hook it up to a different monitor and same problem. Am I doing anything wrong?

The lights are coming on as you would expect and the fan is whirring quietly so it has powered up.. Any ideas? I would be gutted if it was faulty as it is too late to have it replaced!

Please help..

First thing to do is to remove the drives you've installed and try again. You should at least see the BIOS screen. Have you installed any additional RAM or PCiE cards ?

Thanks. It was the additional RAM I had installed. I hadn't put it in properly.. Working now, but seems to only be picking up 2GB RAM and not the additional 4 I have installed.. Should I have replaced the 2 with my 4??
I have used (Kingston 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Memory)

Nope, you should be able to add it. Same additional RAM as I have used, and my machine sees 6Gb.

Sounds like you need to pull apart again and check it is correctly seated.

Should it see it straight away the first time it boots? I'm sure it has been seated correctly this time! I really don't want to pull it apart again :(

If I do, will swapping them over help do you think?

Yep, during Boot it should report 6Gb.

You need to swap them to determine if the MB is damaged or the RAM.

Now reporting 4 so my guess is MB damage.. Shame, but maybe 4 is enough for my needs.. Will MB supprt 8Gb in a single slot if I want to upgrade?

Although the box is rated at 8Gb Max (2x4Gb), others have certainly got 16Gb (2x8Gb) to successfully run.

So you should be able to get a single stick of 8Gb to run, but you'll need to do your research and use the same RAM that "the others" have used in order to get 16Gb to run.

Thanks. Will see if the 4gb I have does what I want it to do first but useful to know the option to upgrade is there. I wonder if there is any way to repair the motherboard..

Have got sabnzb, couchpotato and headphones up and running.. Just need to get sickbeard and plex and xbmc sorted now..

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom