• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question HP laptop - spec check!

Lionrock

Standard Member
Hi gang.

In and out of work meetings all day but trying to source a laptop at the same time to buy today!

If anyone has 2 minutes just to scan an eye over this laptop spec it would be much appreciated.....

Really after a 17" display for under £400 (this is £330) so obviously options/specs are limited. But this one has stood out (admittedly with my limited knowledge).

Main use will be for;
Excel work - lots of formulas and open workbooks
Online poker
Streaming video / movies etc

Liking the 8gb installed memory, 1TB HDD and I think the graphics card is decent for the budget.

No idea at all on the processor (AMD A8-7050 APU) so any comment on this welcome. Probably my main area of concern.

Also only 1 HDMI port and 1 USB 3.0 port. But in reality probably not a big issue.

Manufacturer HP
Price £330
Operating system Windows 10 Home 64
Processor family AMD Quad-Core A-Series processor
Processor AMD Quad-Core A8-7050 APU
Memory 8 GB DDR3L SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)
Hard drive 1 TB 5400 rpm SATA
Display size 17.3"
Display HD+ BrightView WLED-backlit (1600 x 900)
Graphics Radeon R5 Graphics (1.8 GHz, 2 MB cache)
Audio features DTS Studio Sound™ with 2 speakers
Webcam VGA webcam (front-facing) with integrated digital microphone
Wireless 802.11b/g/n (1x1) and Bluetooth® 4.0 combo (Miracast compatible)
Ports 1 HDMI
1 headphone/microphone combo
2 USB 2.0
1 USB 3.0
1 RJ-45
Expansion slots 1 multi-format SD media card reader

Like I say, really need buy this tonight if going for it, so any comments appreciated.

Cheers gang!

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It doesn't have a graphics card listed, the R5 is the integrated graphics on the CPU. Although it doesn't sound like you're making much use of the GPU anyway, I'm guessing poker games aren't graphically demanding.

As far as I'm aware there's no such processor. There's an A6 Pro-7050B and an A8-7100 but searching AMD's website brings up no indication of an A8-7050:
http://products.amd.com/en-gb/search#k=A8-7050

If it's an A8-7100 or A8-7150 that's fine but the A6 in that range is only a single module processor and they do tend to fall a fair way behind in some tasks.

The usual lack of SSD on budget laptops is an annoyance, are you going to add one yourself?

Lionrock

Standard Member
Cheers for reply.

Yes not much info at all on that processor - but it's DEFINITELY called that. This is the actual name as taken off the official HP site.....

• AMD Quad-Core A8-7050

And yes in theory online poker isn't intense on graphics, but can have say 5-10 tables open and various stat apps etc. So a few things chugging away. All very basic graphically though so guess those points are more CPU based?

How important is graphics card for online streaming of movies/sport?? Is it more relevant for gaming or a big factor in quality of streaming as well??

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Cheers for reply.

Yes not much info at all on that processor - but it's DEFINITELY called that. This is the actual name as taken off the official HP site.....

• AMD Quad-Core A8-7050

Well, if HP are definitely referring to it as a quad core than it's probably not a single module processor (which AMD markets as dual cores). It could potentially be a Puma/Carrizo-L model like the A8-7410 which is AMD's lower power range

And yes in theory online poker isn't intense on graphics, but can have say 5-10 tables open and various stat apps etc. So a few things chugging away. All very basic graphically though so guess those points are more CPU based?

Could very well be, with that sort of application it's very hard to guess without being familiar with the program in question. Have a look at task manager. If it using 100% CPU, or all your memory or anything else maxed out?

How important is graphics card for online streaming of movies/sport?? Is it more relevant for gaming or a big factor in quality of streaming as well??

The power of the graphics card doesn't generally matter. The only demanding thing for the general purpose graphics processor is if you want to apply post-processing. MadVR being one of the most popular at the moment.

That's not to say the graphics are irrelevant. Like anything else feature accrete over time and for video watching modern graphics cards do included dedicated circuitry to decode video, the main process in video playback. The ability of that circuitry will determine how much CPU use it takes to play back video - which has a direct impact on how long the battery last.

Right now the situation is that the old formats are pretty mature, there's not a lot of difference for playing back the most common H.264 videos, and the next wave of formats, HEVC and VP9, are just starting to come in so support is partial or restricted to the newest chips, which obviously tend to not appear in laptops that are as cheap as possible.

Lionrock

Standard Member
Cheers for the time and effort there mate.

Done a bit of googling re the Processor but hitting brick walls lol.
Over my head in detail and as no info on the actual number reference im shot.

Basically is it to 'low end' to bother with or more than a capable processor for main usage?

How do these stack up against it?

X751LAV-TY118H | Asus X751LAV Intel Core I3-4030U 4GB 1TB 17.3 Inch Windows 8.1 Laptop - Black - Laptops Direct

HP Pavilion 17-g018na Laptop - HP Store UK

Beyond these really struggling find any 17" ones at the budget.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Without knowing what design it is I can't estimate it's performance. The performance gaps aren't that big so if whatever you do get ends up struggling everything else likely would as well. Here are some benchmarks for comparison.

If you've settled on that laptop as the best in more important aspects (screen, input devices, build quality, ports etc.) then I'd go for it.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom