Hp Laptop Broken Hinge, Loud Fan

daftpunk1

Prominent Member
Reaction score
My nephew has broken a hinge on his laptop, I fixed on of these on a dell laptop before so should be able to sort this ok.

Only thing is when you turn the laptop on its really loud, is this at all related to the broken hinge.

Anything I should pay attention to when dismantling the laptop, or maybe is it just alot of dust got inside due to broken hinge..

IMG_1030.jpg

Could be. I took the heatsink cover off the back of both my laptops recently and the amount of dust stuck behind the vent was obscene, maybe worth a look as it only took a couple of minutes. Now runs really quiet.

No idea what model this hp laptop is. Must have faded off as windows sticker is well faded.

Is there a way in windows 7 to find out the type of computer, as I need to search for replacement parts...

Heatsink cover will be probably 4 screws. You'll see where it is as it will be underneath near the vent at the back or side. Will be a few more screws holding the heatsink in place and it should just lift out and just get rid of the dust.

You can find the spec of the model in the System icon in Control Panel. Should show the spec and then Google that with HP.

*edit* You probably know how to remove a heatsink if you can repair the hinge!

Last edited:
Sounds like some debris from the broken plastic has gotten in the fan or a build up of dust has caused the fan to run faster for longer and shortened its life.

Either way if you are replacing the hinge just replace the fan as well it should only cost a few quid.

Go to the HP Support site. It can autodetect its own products. (Assuming machine still runs)What you then want to do is look in the manuals section for the Service & Maintenance guide as these provide a visual breakdown of the machine into its component parts and list of part numbers.

Its a g56, going to have a go at replacing the broken bits this weekend.

What program tells you the temperature of the cpu. I seen a youtube video where a guy had a hp g56 and his cpu was overheating and he fixed it by applying thermal paste....

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom