HP iPaq H5550

knoxy

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody any thoughts on this one?

Read up on the reviews and they're all pretty good, but any real world experience with them?

Mines arriving on Wednesday!

One of my mates has got one and he loves it. I've played around with it and it is far better than the Dell X5 and X3i.

You can do tons of stuff with it - games, music, gps, web, tv and all the usual calender, contacts, email etc.

The Ipaq 4150 is almost identical to the 5550 apart from having 64mb RAM, no expansion jackets and no fingerprint reader - could be a better bet if you don't need these features - plus you can get it for around £345 whereas the 5550 is around £430.

What features do you actually need? Personally, I think all of the Ipaq's are better than the equivalents from Dell, Fujitsu, Sony etc. If you don't need the fingerprint reader and jackets, the 4150 is probably the one to go for. If you don't need WLAN, go for a Ipaq 2210 (£300) which also has a CompactFlash slot. For the price, the 4150 is probably the best value - 64mb RAM, 48mb ROM, WLAN, Bluetooth, SD slot and a great screen.

James

I have had the 5550 for a while now and it is superb. Best Ipaq Ever by miles. Whilst it's a bit bigger than the 2210 and the 1940, it's got both Bluetooth and WLAN built in with a fast processor and 128mb Of memory.

It's very fast at most things, and I've not come across a problem with it yet.

Andy

Well, I have gone and bought it now - just a case of waiting for it to arrive! Bought a refurbed model from the US so hopefully it'll arrive without a hitch.

It's really going to be used for work primarily. I need access to web servers through Terminal Services, make calls to office extension numbers via Voice over IP using the wi-fi, check email at the office from home, a way of managing my tasks (i'm a web developer and at minute i have all my tasks written all over the place - would like to centralise them and have access to them at all times) on top of the things I would like to use it recreationally - use it as a remote controller, store music etc. Needs to be secure too!

I would also like Bluetooth as I intend to get a bluetooth phone and would like to keep the two synced (use the phone as more of a viewer).

Lets just hope this iPAQ lives up to my expectations!! I'll let you know what I think after having a play with it.

Do any of you use it as a gps sat nav system? Im think of getting an IPAQ purely for sat nav using tom tom software! is there a cheaper model that will do it? with touch screen controls too?

rgds

CH

You can do the Sat Nav using Tom Tom on an Ipaq 3870 or a 3970 like I do. More than enough for that job and you can pick them up cheap now they are discontinued production of them.

Steve

OK, thought this was a bit dodgy when I first started using it (sometimes it took me around a dozen go's to get it to verify my print!).

But, found if you breathe hot air air onto your finger, it works a treat! Always a first time clearance.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom