HP Gen8 micro server with 4TB

agganesh

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new Gen8 and fitted with WD 4TB Green hard drive, changed the data controller mode to AHCI non raid mode. When booting up it shows the HD model number but on Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit it shows only 2TB. Any idea why?

Is this a secondary drive? What does it show in drive management?

This the only drive at the moment. Do you mean under device managers? I will have a look and let you know.

Right click on the computer icon/tile/whatever and pick manage and you should see Disk Management in there.

Thanks for the hint Endless. I have converted the format to GPT and now installing windows again. It should be alright now.

I have read that somewhere else too but last 3 years nonstop running, three 2TB WD greens on N36L, my media server and "online" backup storage, no problem till now. Not sure about current greens quality though!

agganash can you please advise how you did this as I am having the same trouble as you but cant seem to find a way to convert the drives to GPT.

I've been advised to set the bios to boot to UEFI and boot the drives to GPT but according to online reading its not possible to boot the Gen 8 microserver to UEFI as it is not supported.

Your help would be much appreciated as I've hit a brick wall trying to find out.

Steve, I couldn't resolve the problem either so I'm using a 2TB as my boot drive. The rest of the drives are 4TB and 6TB.

Thanks mate I did wonder if that was going to be the only the way to go.

I may do as you have done or investigate putting an SSD in the media bay as some others have done which will keep the main bays free for later upgrades.

How did you format the drives to GPT, in the disk management on the OS or when installing?

And have you set it up in a raid configuration?

I used the disk management. The option is enabled for non boot drives. I disabled the raid controller. Not needed in my case.

Thanks, think I might investigate using the 2 x 4tb as storage (in raid if poss) and either another smaller drive for boot/OS. Maybe even buy an SSD for the OS.

Thanks for your help :clap:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom