HP DV9000 - Charger Problem

chenga

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
My HP Pavillion DV9646em has stopped charging. No light comes on when plugged in and I can't turn it on as the battery is empty. I have taken it apart to check but can't see anything wrong.

Possible causes:
  1. Charger
  2. AC jack

I haven't tested the charger yet as I don't know anyone with the same charger as me.

Does anyone know how to fix this?

HP Notebook PC Battery Pack Replacement Program
Check battery validity at site above.

1. Check mains lead and change fuse.
2. If you cant find someone with a similar machine that you can borrow AC Adapter to test your machine then you will have to buy another one.(try HP first)
3. If not working with new AC adapter or borrowed one then it would suggest a motherboard problem.

Just checked the battery and a new one is one it's way.

Checked the mains lead with my dad's charger as it's the same and it works so it might be the AC adaptor. Will get a new one and try it.

If it still doesn't work, can I just replace the power jack as it's separate to the motherboard? It looks like this:
NEW DC POWER BOARD JACK for HP PAVILION DV9400, DV9500 | eBay

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
That power jack looks like it just plugs in.

The service manual for your laptop is on the HP website if you wish to download it.

If you have a multimeter you can check the AC adaptor, measure the voltage at the jack end, check the info sticker on the adaptor to see what the output voltage is, it should be around 18.5 volts DC - 3.5 amp looking at the specs in the manual.

Thinking about it, I think it might be the charger as I remember that it was at a tight angle when it was plugged it. I think I'll get a new one and see how it goes.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom