1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP compaq nx 9010 laptop help!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bunyboy, May 7, 2004.

1. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    just got this as a replacement via my insurance and cant figure it out:
    two things:

1) its sposed to have an internal pc card (like the netgear 511 i had stuck in the side of my last laptop) but i cant get it to work and have no idea what im doing.. apparently some models have a button on the front but this doesnt.. help!

2) why is it so chunky!? its really thick, like an old skool laptop.. much thicker than my last one.. yet a newer model.. any ideas why? its not coz its got xp pro is it? my last one just had xp home and ive got no reason to need pro..

thanks all

2. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    The chunkyness is just down to internals and nothing to do with which version of wondows! many run processors that aren't originally from desktop computers instead of specific mobile processors, hence need deeper cases for cooling etc

i have a P4 2.4ghz laptop with a big screen and high spec bits and its a chunky mother!

With the internal pc card, are you refering to a network/LAN card?

3. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    does this mean it'll run faster than a standard slim line laptop?

and yeah.. i am refering to a network/LAN card (i think)..
    (there are so many names for the same thing its very confusing!)
    i can just plug in the netgear 511 card i used with the old laptop but if this has got an internal it seems sensible to use that.. i just dont know how to figure out if it has got an internal? and then, if it has, how to make it work!

im also thinking of getting more RAM for it.. any ideas where's good and what i might need?

cheers

4. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Not sure it'll run that much faster than a slimline as it depends on the spec of all the internals put together.

Get your ram fitted by the manufacturer if it is new. Warrantys become invalid if someone else does it, and repairing laptops when they go wrong gets expensive as you can't just pull it apart like a desktop (well not as easily).

I had the same problem with what looked like a built in network card on a friends laptop, no matter what drivers, software we tried with it, it didn't work. so we bought a card like you have off ebay for a tenner and it works a treat.

5. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    it is new.. it really invalidates warranty if i add more ram myself? is it gonna be really expensive to get hewlett packard to do it for me?

pc's are so complicated!

ps. if it doesnt run any faster or anything then what are the advantages to having a chunky laptop? if there arent any then i wonder why they make them?

6. monkeynuts

monkeynuts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Price, desktop processors are cheaper than mobile ones and i guess the overall design is easier as there is more internal space to work with.

I like my 'chunky' laptop as it has a large high resolution screen and decent ATI graphics card and all the ports i'll ever need. Battery life and size not an issue as it sits on my desk most of the time (huge space saver over equivalent desktop), but can be transported anywhere when necessary.

Worth checking with HP about the warranty with RAM upgrading and yes it would probably be expensive to get them to do it. Thats why i made sure i got enough (512mb DDR) when i bought mine 18months ago