1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP/Compaq iPAQ 5450 as a Remote Control

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by ukpete, Dec 24, 2002.

1. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody tried using the HP/Compaq iPAQ 5450 as a Remote Control ?. Is it any good as a Remote Control. ?

On the surface this looks like a pretty cool piece of kit. It comes with Nevo IR software, and a consumer power IR sender + it does loads more.

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Haven't tried the new HP/Ipaq yet.

But I do have the 3970 Compaq Ipaq. This model also has Nevo with the consumer grade IR which is exclusive to Nevo.

Yes it is very good and does all the other things a Pocket PC can do on top. Though it's a bit wasted of the PDA to buy on the sole premise of using it as a remote.

If you install PDAWIN on it you can use Pronto CCF files directly as it simply emulates a Pronto. However this software will only work with short range IR diode in it and not the Nevo. This would also apply to the 5450.

Personally I also have a 3630 which I use more as a remote with the PDAWIN software and an IR extender in the compact flash.

3. ukpete

ukpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree that it would be a waist just to use it for Remote Control, but I really like the idea of a PDA in the living room with buit in wifi for web access and that can also IR all the other toys.

I did'nt realise its possible to get an IR card for a CF slot. That opens up some cheaper alternatives. Have you got any product details.

thanks
    Pete

4. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399