1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HP 5550 Sound Problem

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Ekko Star, Apr 19, 2004.

1. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    I bought one of these as an upgrade to my Ipaq 3970.

Although it's good in some respects it lacks in others, most notably sound volume out of it's internal speaker. It is about 30% volume of what the older Ipaq's can achieve.

This is a major let down as I use it for mobile GPS and the voice commands are next to inaudible now.

Was told you can buy small FM transmitter that will send to car radio that helps with this problem (even though I'm loathed to add wires to a wireless solution)

Has anyone tried these and know if they are any good ?

2. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +399
    OK I bought one of these FM transmitters, a SoundFeeder SF250c it is.

This thing plugs into the 3.5mm jack on the Ipaq's and will transmit to your car stereo or radio on a frequency that you can manually select between 88-95FM. Actually it's not just for Ipaq's, anything with a 3.5mm jack can take benefit of it, MP3's, CD, Mindisc and PDA's.

Have to say it works brilliantly and it is very neat looking indeed. It looks fine sat on my dash. Battery life is excellent as well quoted at 60hrs on two AAA's.

Instructions, come through loud and clear on you car stereo, you can play MP3's off it as well and now best of all cos I download movies onto my PPC I can play movies with great sound in the car.

The only minus would be that you can only tune into either this or the radio or cd at any one time. It's not really that big a deal for me as although I have the GPS running I tend to switch off the music when I am getting close to my destination anyway. With this thing you are going to have to switch stations to it, which in a way helps you concentrate on the instructions anyway !

All in all a great & invaluable little gadget. That is not say that HP should still not be shot for the major design oversight in the 5550.