1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hoya FL-Day Specs anyone?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Technophobe, May 23, 2003.

1. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone point me in the direction of the Hoya FL-D Tech specs.
    I'm interested to know how much it will reduce the Green and Blue levels. i.e. 10% 20% or what ?
    Can anyone offer their gut feeling from observations?
    I'm just starting to play with filters on the sharp 9000, I've tried a Hoya 85A which was recommended on "the other" forum but found this to be too mild in it's reduction of green and blue.
    Looking through AVIA's supplied calibration filters at a blank black screen I can see that probably two thirds of the visible light is green, with perhaps another third blue, but minimal red content.
    I'm hoping the FL-D will match this and balance the output so I can crank up the gains on the Green and blue and hence improve the contrast ratio.

Technophobe

2. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Technophobe,

Can't find specs of the type you're seeking about the FLD filter; I have one on an AE100, and I get best results by increasing green +8, and Blue + 12 to restore correct colour balance. Definitely does help blacks, and corrects "green cast" to a significant degree.

Using AVIA is a great help in calibrating when using filters, tbh otherwise you're "flying by the seat of your pants", unless you've got an alternative correctly colour set display to compare with by eye, and you know the effect of the various adjustments you're making.

Hope this helps, take the bump anyway if not....

Sean G.

Hope this helps somewhat

3. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks theritz

Odd that you need to increase the blue more than green to restore colour balance. I was under the impression the FL-D reduces the green most to correct the cast of photo's under daylight tubes.
    I've found a secondhand one on ebay going cheap so I've taken the plunge now anyway. I'll let you know how it all goes.

Technophobe

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Technophobe,

That's it, right enough, but on calibrating I found I had to increase the blue also........

Using the filter does reduce light output and the combination of this and a more correct colour balance gives better contrast and better blacks. Some don't like the reduced light output, and without it the image has a more colourful impact, but once used to the effect of the filter I wouldn't go back. In a completly light controlled room the picture is still plenty bright.

All the best,

Sean G.

5. Technophobe

Technophobe
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0