Hoya FL-D filter for panny AE100

apocklington

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm thinking about getting a Hoya FL-D filter for my panny AE100 but I'm not sure what size to get, I think it's 55mm. Cheers:)

All I know is that the people who have used it are pleased with the results, so I am going to try it for myself.

Yes its 55mm but its not a very good fit, the people who do have it use electrical tape to hold it in place as the thread on the filter is not long enough, (thread on panny starts quite deep into the lense).

ok dumbass question no.2 coming up....

what exactly does the filter do?

The filter is a pink in colour.

Panny PT-AE100 users use them for 2 reasons.

1) Tones down greens.
2) Improves the black level.

Sony now provide filters with their projectors.

yep its 55 mm i have one to use with the panny you do have to use some tape, it does improve the image giving better blacks and slightly reducing the vertical banding its well worth the £20

Originally posted by chic
yep its 55 mm i have one to use with the panny you do have to use some tape, it does improve the image giving better blacks and slightly reducing the vertical banding its well worth the £20

Hi Chic, can you tell me if there are any downsides to using the filter, should I get one then?
I have put off buying one as I thought it would suit HTPC's more, as you can calibrate the projector more accurately.

Did you find that you had to calibrate your projector after fitting the filter?

Excuse my ignorance but am I correct in thinking we are talking about this

Brand HOYA
Product Name FLUORESCENT DAY 55mm
Jessops Code HOYFLD55
Jessops Price £20.99
Availability Ordered upon request

Yep thats the one :)
Think I will get myself one :)

Correct. Only pain is that the multi coated version is meant to let more light through, but they're nigh on impossible to get in this country. Might be worth trying other manufacturers, but Hoya are the ubiquitous choice, I guess - at least you know the quality is OK.
One thing, IIRC, the mini shootout Shockabuku held seemed to decide that the filter didn't actually help much after all - anyone who was there care to comment?

Gotta be worth a go for £20

Originally posted by John Spicer
Gotta be worth a go for £20
Many people swear by it here and at avsforum, they all can't be wrong.

Many people swear by it here and at avsforum, they all can't be wrong.

Well I have ordered mine, I wonder how long it will take as they only buy in to order.

tim i had to recalibrate the settings after fitting and it does look better with the filter its not a major improvement but for £20 its worth it, the blacks look better the contrast looks better and the banding is reduced

it took about 3 weeks for jessops to get me one

I can't wait three weeks, so I have ordered a 52mm fl-d filter and a 55mm step down ring all in stock at Jessops. With a bit of luck the step down ring might fit the Panny lense better than the 55mm filter. I'll post here with the result.

Tony;)

Step down might be a bit problematic - won't it interfere with the image? Some have actually sat the 52mm filter inside the lens front, but light scatter was commented on.

Over on AVS, some have used a 55 > 58 step up ring plus 58mm filter - the thread on the step up ring was apparently deep enough to grip the AE100.

See here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=145148
plus the mother of all threads on the subject:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=146343
...frustrating that a lot of the brands discussed aren't available over here...

Think I'll nip down to my local camera shop and see what they can dig out...

Hi....just a thought..

....I read that these Hoya filters are not a very good fit....well I was wondering if anyone had thought of the other type of filter, ie/ it`s like a holder then you can slide thesquare glass filters in this enables you to use one holder, and slide any filter into this holder..... you know the type?
Well I just wandered if perhaps this holder type would fit the lens better than the round Hoya..

Sorry about my ignorance with the name types it`s a long time since I used them in photography

Hi Walter

well I was wondering if anyone had thought of the other type of filter, ie/ it`s like a holder then you can slide thesquare glass filters in this enables you to use one holder
If memory serves me right they were called Conkin, or was it Konkin, its been many years since I used one, Oh I feel old now :(

Walter are you getting 16:9 image from sky with your ProV?

cheers

Ah ha it was Cokein.... or sounded like...

yep am getting 16.9 on my Pro v

Cokin. Might work, but the carrier would still need to be attached to the lens, so you may still have the same problem. Mind you, you might get some interesting effects with some of the dodgy "creative" filters they do - starburst Shrek, anyone?

Its called a matte box : the filter holder.
I've got the FLD and whilst it does make an improvement it does cut back a little too much blue leaving the picture a tad yellow. (even with the blue maxed on the pj) You can compensate for this a little by dropping red which will push things towards cyan but its not ideal. I'm contemplating buying a selection of different filter gels and experimenting to find something that leaves the blue a bit more intact.

Also the FLD is not perfectly neutral across the intensity range seems to magenta up certain tones more than others.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom