1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hoya Fl-d and DVI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eugdog2, Sep 2, 2004.

1. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased a Hoya Fl-d for my NEC 1000ht projector.

I was impressed with the improvement using DVI Samsung hd935 - it was not amazing but it was significant and certainly justifies the money spent.

The picture felt richer and more cinematic.

But the real advantage is with my Sky + system which is connected by S-video. the improvement was very considerable. without it the picture seems faded and wash out and with heavy glare. The Hoya rectifies alot of this to give a much richer and deeper picture.

Therefore I strongly recommend buying one.

(incidently the biggest improvement by far is a DV-1 input - my humble £100 Samsung DVI is far superior to the mighty Denon 2800 MK2 with componant input. I have purchased a device that converts the Sky signal to DVI - I will let you know how it works)

2. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Where did you purchase yours from mate?

3. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

You get a Hoya FLD filter from www.jessops.co.uk

I think mine cost £21 for a 52mm, so a cheap upgrade to see if you like the improvement and if not then at least it's no great loss ;)

4. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No do not go to Jessop as it expensive and have an obscene 4 week delivery.

I got mine from www.2filter.com - They charge just $10 for shipping and it came within 4 days!!! No VAT was charged :D

5. SamirP

SamirP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32

You could always just go to one of their store's ;)

6. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I tried that - they did not have it and said it was unlikey anyone would have it! They could not even say when would arrive if ordered (web site said 4 weeks)

7. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Did you recalibrate the colours to ged rid of the red tint afterwards?

You'll get improved contrast by doing that as you can increase the green and blue contrast which will improve brightness without affecting the black level. It also increases the DMD modulation range which reduces the chance of posterisation sometimes found in skin tones (clay face).

Gary.

8. windfall

windfall

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi Have been to four Jessops stores now and non of them had the FL Day filter. I have been sat on the sidelines about this for months and following the study of the posts on using this filter I shall order one from the states as well.

I was wondering though that if I sell my PJ (likely to in the next few months still not sure about DLP/LCD) will the filter be any good with DLP? Or is my thought just nonsense?

Has anyone put one of these filters on a DLP PJ?

Cheers

Tone

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    The HT1000 is a DLP, and I have one on mine (bought from the same place Eudog got his from):

http://www.2filter.com/hoya/hoya80fldflw05.html

For the HT1000 Get the 77 mm Hoya HMC 77mm FL-Day filter. You can get a smaller version, but just to be on the safe side, tape the filter to the lens with it tipping out slightly at the top - just as a precaution against any heat build up between the lens and filter.

The lamps in most digital projectors (LCD and DLP) don't output the same amounts of colour - the lamp is normaly red deficient. In order to get colours to look accurate, they often reduce the green and blue down to the same level as the red. Some DLP pj manufacturers actualy make the red segments of the colour wheel larger to boost red, rather than decrease the green and blue. This is an optical adjustment rather than a digital one.

Another way round it is to use the Hoya FL-Day filter to opticaly boost the red. Then you can bring the green and blue back up to match the new red level, with the advantages I mentioned earlier.

Gary.

10. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice about making the adjustments - I will have go this evening

BTW do you have a DVI dvd player as it gives a very different kind of picture to conventional analogue inputs and that might effect the adjustment required

11. john59

john59

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Having read with interest the subject about the Hoya FLD Filter I telephoned Jessops this morning and asked if they had a 52mm filter in stock, low and behold they had one in! I duly gave them my name and jumped on the train to pick it up. I got to the shop and gave them my name and the assistant brought it to me and I paid the £18.99 for it and left happy in the knowledge that I now had the filter in my hand.
    Now here is where it gets interesting, when I got home I came back on here (the forum) for more info on fitting and setting up the PJ with the filter in place and I suddenly realised that I had got the wrong size at 52mm and I should have got the 72mm. Feeling totally gutted I looked at the filter and the AE 500 lens and noticed that inside the turret on the PJ halfway down there is a thread and also a thread on the filter and carefully managed to turn the filter onto the threads in the lens turret and hey presto it fits like a dream, no need for tape it comes out easily for cleaning and when it is in place I can still put the lens cover on. On the subject of Jessops I went to the Manchester shop and got the last 52mm but they did say they would be re stocking within two weeks.
    Regards
    John

12. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Popped into Jessops this afternoon, and they had some filters on specials.

Purchased a "Skylight" filter for £3 is that the right type like the Hoya FLD?

13. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Skylight is not the correct one - FLD stands for FLourescent Daylight - it corrects the green tinge that comes from taking photos where the predominant lighting is flourescent - hence it;s use by us lot to correct the excess green put out by the lamps in most projectors. However, as Gary pointed out above, you need to have access to the colour controls to boost the green and blue component when you apply the filter to get the correct white balance, otherwise you just end up with a pink tinge in the picture - better blacks alright but the pink tinge is not to be recommended.

Sean.

14. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Hi Eudog,

I use DVI via HTPC, and the adjustments that have to be made only become available when you untick the white balance where you select the choice of gamma (movie, game etc). If you like, I can give you some figures from my set-up and you can try them. If they don't work for you, you can easily get back to where you were by ticking the white balance again. Just to be sure though, make a note of all the figures before you change anything, and put them in a safe place. :)

Here are my first set of adjustments which gave me an almost flat greyscale (a tad high between 40 and 50ire IIRC):

RB:3
    GB:0
    BB:1

RC:132
    GC:116
    BC:125

The top ones are Red Green and Blue Brightness adjustments, the bottom ones are RGB Contrast. Feel free to ask any questions, and if you do try the adjustments, let me know what results you get. Do you have a copy of Avia by any chance? I've some later adjustments somewhere that I can dig out for you to try as well.

Gary.

15. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you very much for those figures - I will give them a try and tell you what I think later!

BTW what is AVIA?

One other thing I am going to is to put black paper on the ceiling directly infront of my sceen (my screen goes righ up to my cieling but with not black borders). I notice this in cinemas.

It is just amazing how much better the quality of my picture is compared to when I first got the project 2 years ago!

16. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,086
    Avia is an NTSC test disk for setting up displays such as tv's and projectors. It is very useful for setting white and black levels (very important) and for calibrating the colours. There are some grey bands which allow you to see if there are any colour tints present at various levels of grey - they should only be grey, so any noticable colour tint means that the colours wre unbalanced.

I'll try and dig out those later figures I have, and do let me know if those figures above help at all. They should help remove the pink tint from whites. I forgot to mention - I also though the picture looked great even without touching the colour balance after I'd added the filter. :)

Gary.