Hoya filter

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by HandsomeBWonderful, Mar 21, 2006.

1. HandsomeBWonderful

HandsomeBWonderful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Can anyone recommend a good website (preferably in Ireland or the UK) for getting a Hoya filter for a Panasonic AE300?

2. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    do you mean an ND2 filter? What thread size does it need?
    I got 62mm ND2 for my 4805 from hiltonphoto.co.uk

3. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Check ebay, that is where I got my Hoya HMC ND2 from.

4. HandsomeBWonderful

HandsomeBWonderful

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Mmmm, well basically I was looking for a Hoya FLD filter (I think) to enhance the contrast levels on my AE300 PJ. I've no idea of thread depth I'm afraid. Any ideas which filter I should be looking for? :lease:

5. mkjustuk

mkjustuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    That's right an FL (D) digital filter will improve contrast on some LCD projectors. An ND2 as we were talking about is for dimming down in smaller rooms. I have looked at the AE300 manual and it doesn't mention a filter ring dimension (usually 50-75mm). Once you know the size of filter the AE300 can have screwed on to the lens (if any) you should be set.

6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,449
    Adding any filter by itself won't improve the contrast, it will simply dim the image equally from black to white so the CR just stays the same.

If you use an FL-Day, it will correct any green/blue push the pj may have (it boosts red, cuts green/blue) since the UHP lamps are red deficient compared to the other two colours, but if the colours are already pretty good, then the FL-Day will just make everything look dimmer and pink.

To get the extra contrast, the fl-day will allow you to ramp up the individual green and blue Contrast (or gains) so that will increase the white level. The black level will remain the same so overall the contrast ratio has increased.

To keep the colours accurately balanced, you will need a colourimiter of some sort that can see colour like we do, and have some software to tell you which of the RGBs has to be increased or decreased (the target is referrd to as D65). The cheapest this hardware will cost is £200 though if you have a good eye for grey, you can use the grey ramps in DVE to remove any colour tints and make the greys look grey from black through grey to white. An ISF calibration will cost a bit more than this but will be accuaret to D65.

Gary

7. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Hi Garry

What's the difference between a Hoya FLD filter and say a CC20R or CC30R filter?

8. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,449
    I believe the fl-day absorbs more green than blue compared to a red filter which absorbs both more equally. A magenta filter absorbs green, so I assume an fl-day which is more towards magenta than red absorbs more green than it does blue. I don't know what the ratio is, but filters from different manufacturers vary anyway (Coking gel compared to Hoya glass for instance) so that can make a difference too.

UHP lamps have more green an blue light than red, so depending on the balance the two excess colours exist in will dictate which filter is more suitable. If there's far more blue than green, a yellow filter may be a better choice.

I haven't tried a CCR filter, but it would be interesting to see how it compares if I try it on my H78.

Gary

9. Skovgaard

Skovgaard
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The AE300 has a 67mm thread. :)