HOWTO: Sky through DVB-S card within MCE *Part 3*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iccz

As the previous thread has reached 1000 posts it has now been closed and will continue here.

Here is the previous thread:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/windows/930839-howto-sky-through-dvb-s-card-within-mce-part-2-a.html

and quoted here is the first post and the last 3 posts from it:

This thread is a continuation of this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/wind...-howto-sky-through-dvb-s-card-within-mce.html

Thanks to nigelbb for starting the original thread.
Hi Pete,

sure, know what you mean, in fact when I'm setting up my guide, the first thing I do is disable all channels, and then enable the ones we use... says a lot :confused:

Glad to hear its nothing to do with the setup... that was my main concern (ie had you found a problem, that I haven't experienced yet - and I think during the past year or so, I've hit most....)

Thanks
Tony
Hi Guys

I have to say I think I have a problem.
Had my setup working well for months but a couple of night ago found that no channels were being decrypted. Ahh I thought perhaps my entitlements have expired, I'll go check on the cccam 2.1.3 entitlements page. When I look there is no mention of any date anymore:

card reader /dev/sci0
handled 4319(0) ecms and 0(0) emms
Nds card 2855210

Entitlement info

I connected a LNB feed to my dreambox (It does not have a permanent feed) and left it over night to see if it would update.
It's been 2 days now and no change!

Have Sly turned off my card?
Should I try CCCAm 2.1.4?
Help!
Welcome :thumbsup:

I don't think I've actually heard of anyone using these cards - may be worth posting something on one of the dvblink forums to check.

TVsource would be best option for this, along with the DB500 (for example), and the appropriate plugins installed on the hptcs (or server), and the relevant CAMs on the DB.

DVBLink Network Pack would be required for this, and then install the clients on the htpcs.

Yes, if you install, for example, newcs and mgcamd on the DB, this will update the entitlements as and when required. My card hasn't been in the digibox now for over 9 months, and entitlements currently show 10th July 2010.

Hope that helps
Tony

tony_park

Hi Scatman,

so, do you get anything when you view the entitlements etc? Have you tried using the DB to view an encrypted channel?

If not, I would, if possible, try using the card in your digibox, and seeing whether leaving it tuned to sky 1 overnight will resolve - I've not seen this problem for ages, but then I have a permanent feed to my DB just in case...

Tony

ScAtMaN_UK

No the line under 'Entitlement Info' is blank.
I knew it was due to run out this month, I did not think it was this early in the month however.

Tried going to a encrypted channel on the DB and just get a blank picture.

I'll dig out the digibox and try it in there for a while before I call sly. All very strange.

P.S. Well done everyone for notching up over 2000 posts on this subject!

tony_park

No the line under 'Entitlement Info' is blank.
I knew it was due to run out this month, I did not think it was this early in the month however.

Tried going to a encrypted channel on the DB and just get a blank picture.

I'll dig out the digibox and try it in there for a while before I call sly. All very strange.

P.S. Well done everyone for notching up over 2000 posts on this subject!
Hope the digibox resolves, I had it a couple of times where I had to call Sky - just told them I was working away from home and that the STB was unplugged... and that the updates must have been missed, they sent out the entitlements, and within 30 mins was back working again...

Tony

bezville

Novice Member
thanks for the reply tony, :)
just to clarify before i place my order with dvblink (already got the dreambox and one of the dvbs2 cards on the way!) that i need TVlink source WITH the dvblink network server pack RATHER than dvblink for dreambox? sorry to be a n00b just want to make sure i order the right thing. :S

Also i'm using the PowerDVD9 codec for live tv at the moment, but should i set-up a different codec for live HD broadcasts, such as FFdshow or FFdshow DXVA? (i'm currently using these 2 for everything else.)

Once again thanks for any help/advice given.

Iccz

I've never understood why this thread isn't in the Home Entertainment PCs forum. There are often questions about receiving Sky in there...
It has been here for a long time, I believe because it is mostly related to MCE, there havn't been a lot of requests to move the previous threads, if any - I can't recall any myself, plus there are clearly a large number of people managing to find this thread where it is and I assume a lot of people in the HTPC boards know about it and can/will link people to it, the mods will if they notice a post about it.

tony_park

thanks for the reply tony, :)
just to clarify before i place my order with dvblink (already got the dreambox and one of the dvbs2 cards on the way!) that i need TVlink source WITH the dvblink network server pack RATHER than dvblink for dreambox? sorry to be a n00b just want to make sure i order the right thing. :S
Hi,

you can download their software free for 21 days (I think, or it may be 20)... but basically, if you're looking to use your dvbs2 tuner card in conjunction with the db, then you need tvsource, if you're looking to feed your db output into an analog capture card, then you need Tvlink for dreambox. The former will have much better quality ;-)

HTH
Tony

Edit - sorry, just re-read the doc for setup - its changed a bit since I last tried it - you could actually install both, tvsource and dvblink for dreambox - and have 2 tuners... I may give that a try - could do with an extra tuner without actually needing to buy one :-D

Last edited:

jensrow

Novice Member
It has been here for a long time, I believe because it is mostly related to MCE, there havn't been a lot of requests to move the previous threads, if any - I can't recall any myself, plus there are clearly a large number of people managing to find this thread where it is and I assume a lot of people in the HTPC boards know about it and can/will link people to it, the mods will if they notice a post about it.
Maybe we can have a sticky link at the top of the Home Entertainment PC forum?

ScAtMaN_UK

Hi guys, back up and running after I phoned Sly to re-activate my card after the entitlements run out.
May try changing from CCCam on the Dreambox to Newcs/Mgcamd to see if it will automatically update my entitlments without having to remember to attach the DB to a LNB.

Hi Russ,

doesn't TVsource 3 have the ability to download the epg details from the stream, or am I just hoping that was the case!!!

Tony
So can we get Sky listings straight from the stream in the new version of TVSource?

Currently I use DigiGuide -BSEPG- Media Centre and it works generally well except I often get recordings with the wrong episode title, recordings of wrong programs etc.
This happens across channels like Sly 1, comedy central and ITV. I notices when I scanned for channels you will find several listings for the same channel, I know that the adverts I get on Comedy central for example are for Ireland so they probably have a slightly different lineup to the UK broadcast.

Has anyone else experienced this?

If we could use the Sky supplied data then it would take all the guess work out of selecting the correct channel and trying to match correct listings.

tony_park

Hi guys, back up and running after I phoned Sly to re-activate my card after the entitlements run out.
May try changing from CCCam on the Dreambox to Newcs/Mgcamd to see if it will automatically update my entitlments without having to remember to attach the DB to a LNB.
Works well for me - saves me and my forgetful brain cell forgetting to do whatever I should have remembered to do!

So can we get Sky listings straight from the stream in the new version of TVSource?
Unfortunately not - this appears to be coming in 3.1 apparently - but that will be very useful if and when it does appear - apparently DVBLink server can now import xml files and populate channels from that - I've not had much luck on my testing of that so far, so I'm holding out for 3.1 before I test in earnest!

Currently I use DigiGuide -BSEPG- Media Centre and it works generally well except I often get recordings with the wrong episode title, recordings of wrong programs etc.
This happens across channels like Sly 1, comedy central and ITV. I notices when I scanned for channels you will find several listings for the same channel, I know that the adverts I get on Comedy central for example are for Ireland so they probably have a slightly different lineup to the UK broadcast.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Yep, we've seen this, so much so that the missus won't let me delete anything until its been checked to confirm that we haven't seen it previously.

Sometimes the guide data shows a program we record, but the actual program is completely different, but I guess this is the problem with using uploaded data, it may not be completely accurate where program changes take place...

Tony

BenRyder

Novice Member
Works well for me - saves me and my forgetful brain cell forgetting to do whatever I should have remembered to do!

Unfortunately not - this appears to be coming in 3.1 apparently - but that will be very useful if and when it does appear - apparently DVBLink server can now import xml files and populate channels from that - I've not had much luck on my testing of that so far, so I'm holding out for 3.1 before I test in earnest!

Yep, we've seen this, so much so that the missus won't let me delete anything until its been checked to confirm that we haven't seen it previously.

Sometimes the guide data shows a program we record, but the actual program is completely different, but I guess this is the problem with using uploaded data, it may not be completely accurate where program changes take place...

Tony
I've just updated my v3 install with the latest patch from Oberon posted this evening and I finally have XML with series link working correctly.

I'm able to remove BSEPG (which is a great program) and simplify my setup to just Digiguide => XMLTV Gui => TV Source.

I think this was the last major bug that I recall reading about, so at a guess a release should be in the next few days/weekend.

OpenTV/Full EPG via stream in 3.1 will be amazing. I cannot wait!

Ben.

tony_park

I've just updated my v3 install with the latest patch from Oberon posted this evening and I finally have XML with series link working correctly.

I'm able to remove BSEPG (which is a great program) and simplify my setup to just Digiguide => XMLTV Gui => TV Source.

I think this was the last major bug that I recall reading about, so at a guess a release should be in the next few days/weekend.

OpenTV/Full EPG via stream in 3.1 will be amazing. I cannot wait!

Ben.
Hi Ben

that sounds great - does it handle channel affiliates correctly - the last thing I want is for CSI to be recorded by the wife on Living, Living+1 and then living+2!

Personally, I can't wait for them to add the functionality to download the EPG data from the stream, and populate the guide that way... hopefully that will reduce my installation time by about 75%!

Thanks
Tony

Last edited:

Iccz

Maybe we can have a sticky link at the top of the Home Entertainment PC forum?
We generally try to keep the number of sticky threads in a board to 1, sometimes there are 2 but we find it best to keep it as low as possible as this only adds more content before the main threads.

What I have done is added a link to this thread in the DVB part of the FAQ in the Home Entertainment PCs sticky, though it is a large thread with a lot of information it might not stand out so well.

I'm curious as to how many of the other posters in here believe this thread should be moved to the Home Entertainment PC forum, especially those who regularly contribute - I will put this to the other computer mods and see what they have to say too.

tony_park

Hi,

I would say, it would be best in the entertainment pc section :)

Tony

BenRyder

Novice Member
Hi Ben

that sounds great - does it handle channel affiliates correctly - the last thing I want is for CSI to be recorded by the wife on Living, Living+1 and then living+2!

Personally, I can't wait for them to add the functionality to download the EPG data from the stream, and populate the guide that way... hopefully that will reduce my installation time by about 75%!

Thanks
Tony
Hi Tony,

I set up a few series links last night and didn't recall it recording lots of the same episode. From memory it seems to go by the episode title regardless of channels. I know that it is recording episodes of shows I've seen (eg. CSI!) but that is only because MCE is a 'fresh' install so has no idea I've watched them previously.

Will double check later though.

FYI - install time from beginning to end took me about 30 minutes the first time, and the majority of that was assigning XML listings to each channel. I had already numbered my Sky Channels in TV Source way back in v1 and it still remembered that so upgrading wasn't too painful.

Ben.

tony_park

Hi Ben,

my main problem, is linking the bs epg data to the actual channels, I've not tried V3.0 yet, with regards to the upload of the xml file, so I'm hoping that that will significantly save time.

These days, it generally takes me about 1 hr to get the guide data right, which is a hell of a lot better than back in the XP MCE days! Fortunately I think the dvblink channel import tool does a great job...

Hopefully over the weekend I can get V3.0 installed on my test partition and see how that goes...

Tony

johnro76

Standard Member
I'm getting serious picture break-up on BBC HD. The other HD channels are fine (Luxe and ITV) it's only BBC that has this problem.

When I first change to the channel it's fine for about 5 seconds, then the picture starts going blocky. My card is a Terratec Cinergy 2 PCI HD and I'm using acamd 6.1.8.

Does anyone else have this problem and/or know how to fix it?

jtyles

I'm getting serious picture break-up on BBC HD. The other HD channels are fine (Luxe and ITV) it's only BBC that has this problem.

When I first change to the channel it's fine for about 5 seconds, then the picture starts going blocky. My card is a Terratec Cinergy 2 PCI HD and I'm using acamd 6.1.8.

Does anyone else have this problem and/or know how to fix it?
What graphics card have you got? If it's an ATI make sure you are using an upto date version of catalyst.

Jon

johnro76

Standard Member
What graphics card have you got? If it's an ATI make sure you are using an upto date version of catalyst.

Jon
I don't know why but I never even considered the graphics card. It is an ATI, I downloaded the latest version of catalyst and it's fixed! Still the occasional jitter but only once every 5 mins or so.

Thank you very much Jon

John

jtyles

I don't know why but I never even considered the graphics card. It is an ATI, I downloaded the latest version of catalyst and it's fixed! Still the occasional jitter but only once every 5 mins or so.

Thank you very much Jon

John
John, no problems glad it helped you shouldn't have an jitter have you had a look at task manager to see what load the PC is under.

Jon.

johnro76

Standard Member
John, no problems glad it helped you shouldn't have an jitter have you had a look at task manager to see what load the PC is under.

Jon.
All jitters are now gone since my last reboot. Also the picture seems sharper now on all channels, since the catalyst upgrade. So all-in-all, an effective and important piece of advice; for which I once again thank you. :thumbsup:

jtyles

All jitters are now gone since my last reboot. Also the picture seems sharper now on all channels, since the catalyst upgrade. So all-in-all, an effective and important piece of advice; for which I once again thank you. :thumbsup:
No problems at all glad you got it fixed.

Jon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Best Hi-Fi products of 2020, Plus Best of the Month for TV Shows & Movies

Latest News

Best Projectors of 2020 - Editor's Choice Awards
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
What's new on Sky and NOW TV UK for December 2020
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
PS5 vs. Xbox Series X: Which Next-Gen Console is Best?
  • By Rik Henderson
  • Published
Black Friday 2020: Best UK deals currently available
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Top Bottom