HOWTO: Sky through DVB-S card within MCE *Part 2*

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Curly99, Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    This thread is a continuation of this thread http://www.avforums.com/forums/wind...-howto-sky-through-dvb-s-card-within-mce.html

Thanks to nigelbb for starting the original thread.

For reference: First post

Last post

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009
  2. paulm187

paulm187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Curly99

Any chance of making Part1 a sticky as well ? There is a lot of information that will be useful for new users.

3. paulm187

paulm187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    I can't seem to tune into Five US. I've got a FireDTV S2 with T.REX CAM. I can tune into all other Sky channels. When i try to tune into Five US I get this channel is scrambled message. I tried scanning the transponder again but MCE reported no new channels. I am using Tv Pack 2008. any of you having this problem?

4. kevinsc

kevinsc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi all
    I have been readding this from when nigelbb first start the thread, i am new to this and would like to give it a bash.
    I have a few questions, I am led to believe that the floppydtv card and a t rex cam are the things to get, but i got confused about how sky plus would work, do you still have to have 2 subscriptions to watch one and record one? and are you able to get sky hd through vista mce?. i am running vista premium, i thought would be better for sky because of the tv pack
    could you please steer me in the right direction
    cheers kevin

5. paulm187

paulm187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Yes, Floppy/FireDTV with a T.REX CAM loaded with Predator is your best option. If you want to watch and record more than one channel, then you need as many Floppy/FireDTVs and T.REX CAMs. You would also need multiple SKY Subscriptions. Multiroom will not work as it requires both STBs to be plugged into a telephone line. If you only need to watch Freesat then this is not a requirement.

You can watch BBC HD in Vista Premium MCE with a hacked file. However your best bet is to wait for Windows 7 which supports H.264 natively. However, even Windows 7 at the moment does not support the DVB-S2 standard. This means you will not be able to watch any of the SKY-HD channels that are broadcast in DVB-S2.

6. kaisersose

kaisersose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    anyone thinking about buying equipment soon to use their sky card with mce..................wait a few months!

looks like their definitely swapping cards soon, and theres a good chance that cam's wont work anymore with sky cards. As i'd be very suprised if their gonna go to the hassle of changing cards and not change the way encryption works.

Home | Sky Viewing Help

7. jelockwood

jelockwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    You might be able to access DVB-S2 i.e. Sky HD channels using the DVBSBridge software from DVBLogic - provider of digital streaming connectivity solutions however this would be limited to a single tuner as despite promising originally multi-tuner support for last year, they still have not managed this. You could have a second DVB-S only tuner directly accessed by Windows 7 (and set the tuner priority to use the DVBSBridge one for HD channels).

8. paulm187

paulm187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    As far as I understand the encryption system is built into the set-top-box. The cards carry the access flags to determine which channels you can watch. The NDS system is still "unbroken" in that any solution still requires a legal sunscription card. Its unlikely that Sky would want to change the entire encryption whole-sale.

Saying that, it does not hurt to wait just in case BSkyB got something up their sleeve. It will be their 20th anniversary in April so perhaps a suprise or two is in store for us enthusiasts. :eek:

9. kevinsc

kevinsc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks paulm187 for the reply, do you need to put the sky card back in the sky box every 5 weeks to keep in alive? how would get sky hd to work with vista mce? does anyone know when window 7 is out.
    cheers kevin

10. paulm187

paulm187

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Yes, the Sky card needs to be "refreshed" every 4 to 6 weeks by putting it back into the STB. Since Vista or Windows 7 doesn't support DVb-S2, you will not be able to watch most of the Sky HD channels. You could however use a 3rd part application such as DVBsbridge but it is quite trick to setup.

Windows 7 could be out by autumn 2009. You can however download the Beta version from Microsoft.

11. kevinsc

kevinsc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i am not a software person but how hard would it be to see what software in a linux sky box or a sky box to keep the sky card alive and adjust it for windows to use and where would i get the hack for watching bbs hd on vista mce
    sorry to be a pest
    kevin

12. Curly99

Curly99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,255
    Can't you use the link in the first post of this thread? as I'm limited to how many sticky's there can be.

Curly

13. kevinsc

kevinsc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi all
    i understand that vmce with tv pack you can have more than one tv tuner card install, i was wondering if you can have one tv card for watching sky and other tv card for freeview and being able to record from the freeview tv tuner in vmce?
    may sound a daft question
    kevin

14. Ragnarok

Ragnarok

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    has anyone given a thought to the new sky viewing cards.

http://www.skyviewinghelp.com/index.html

NDS's new cards aparently run at 3.3v cards and there have been reports of an awful lot of cams and card readers melting them.

I'm currently using media portal with MDAPI card sharing client plugins acamd 0.5.1.0 , and wincsc for the second tuner

The Sky card is connected to an infinity usb unlimted overclocking ( which supports 3.3v and 5v along with full frequency control )the card slightly to 4.45 which handles 3 channels well(4 and you start to get glitches) and I'm running Newcs to connect that to share it with the card clients. The added bonus is that Newcs and Acamd keep the card alive. win csc won't send the EMMs which keep the card alive.

Apparently Newcs works with the current NDSv3 cards around Europe if you can find a card reader that won't melt them.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  15. Methanoid

Methanoid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Might sound a dumb question but if I have multiple tuners (2 DVB-S, 2 DVB-T) how does MCE know which to record from and which receive which channels? Someone able to answer a noob question please? :smashin:

16. CCWashout

CCWashout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Quick question as there seems to be a new Sky card on its way to us soon:

Has anyone had a new card and tried it in the Floppy-DTV setup and does it still work?

17. mullingar

mullingar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is it possible to use a seperate PCMCIA to PCI adapter to use a dragon cam ?

I have a Pinnacle 7010ix, PCMCIA to PCI adapter, a Dragon cam and a working FTV card. Can MCE combine all these for the FTV stations?

18. ZeroDegreesNort

ZeroDegreesNort
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been using the Fire + Floppy setup with DVB Viewer for a few months with Sky. However I stupidly activated my new white card and at the moment it does not work with encrypter channels.

I have pred 3.96 firmware loaded onto my T-Rex. The old card when inserted reports it is an NDS card from within DNB Viewer but the new on is comes up as unrecognized.

Not sure if I have just messed something up or if the new cards are not yet compatible :rolleyes:

Having to go back to skybox and RF tunner to the PC for the moment :eek:

19. mwallan

mwallan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    DVBS2 IS supported in windows 7 RC Media Center the main problem is how MC scans the transponders. what is needed is a tweek in the reg and you will be able to scan skyhd and view it. In Germany it has been confirmed that DVB-S2 channels like ArteHD or AnixeHD are working im media center !!!

20. mesajoe

mesajoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Same here, has anybody found a solution to this?

M
    :)

21. mesajoe

mesajoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Tried updating the CAM to the latest version of predator 3.69, makes no difference, I get:

smartcard is UNKNOWN
    Not decoding

It seems that you can no longer use a DVB-S + CAM + $ky viewing card to decode $ky

Mark
    :(

22. ZeroDegreesNort

ZeroDegreesNort
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I went back to Sky box + PCI Tuner card via scart / component. Its horrible :eek:
    The fire + floppy is back in its box for the moment :rolleyes:

23. Neil__C

Neil__C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,

I'm using a Dreambox 500S (very cheap) with CCcam and Newccs to serve my legit card to my 2 HTPCs which run Windows 7 and DVBViewer (and DVBLink to get it into MC). Works perfectly and gives all channels, including HD, straight into media center. Try some googling - it really is a very good solution.

Regards

24. jelockwood

jelockwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Great news, and just to confirm this is with the new white viewing card? Just read up on DVBLink, it seems it now supports multiple tuners, is this working for you (last time I looked in to this approach it only supported a single tuner).

Is MHEG5 working via this (the red button)?

I have my Windows7 on order.

25. Neil__C

Neil__C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,

Yes, confirmed with white card. I'm using the RTM of windows 7 in 2 HTPCs one with one tuner and the other with 2 tuners. Both work well but I can't say what the max number of tuners is - never tried past 2 ;)

Not sure about the red button - never tried it.

Regards

26. jelockwood

jelockwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Supposedly red button support is one of the big new things in Windows 7, along with DVB subtitles support. While I am sure it would work if Windows 7 was directly accessing the tuner, the query is whether it still works via DVBLink (the docs for DVBLink only mention DVB subtitles).

On a different topic, what is the current state of play regarding Media Extenders and Win 7? I would assume an XBox360 is supported, but other extenders seem to have been fading away (e.g. the HP one). Do any support H.264 since Windows 7 does now for Live TV?

27. mark.carline

mark.carline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    i have tried to google your setup and not 100% sure exactly what you have done. Can you explain it a bit more? How does MCe talk to the dreambox ?

28. Neil__C

Neil__C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Hi,

There's a lot of misunderstanding out there on this subject (much of it used to be mine). Anyway - here's some clarity:

The HTPCs use FloppyDTV-S2 cards - 2 in one PC and one in the other. They are fed the sat feed as usual. It's the encryption information that they get from the dreambox which takes a single card and shares it to the HTPCs.

An important point here is that even though the Dreambox 500S cannot itself play S2 channels, that's not what I use it for. It WILL feed the encryption data on the S2 channels to the HTPCs (whose tuners CAN play those channels). I happen to use the composite out on the Dreambox to watch SD channels on my work PC but it's real role is to feed the card to the HTPCs.

Running free software such as CCCam and NewCS, it CAN decrypt all the S*y encrypted channels, including HD (it just won't play the S2 itself but feeds encryption data to the HTPCs).

All three of my FloppyDTV tuners, in various HTPCs, can access the Dreambox simoultaneously. They can all be on different channels at the same time and the encryption data required is fed to them by the Dreambox CCcam server.

6. Just to summarise re S2 channels: Dreambox/CCcam/NewCS with one valid S*y card acts as the cardserver over my local network. Each FloppyDTV tuner in the various HTPCs has its own instance of DVBViewer running. Inside each instance is the FlyCCcam plugin. It is this which receives the encryption data from the Dreambox. Finally, I use DVBLink to feed (and automatically number and assign EPG data) into media center. The result is that within media center, I have the 145 channels I have selected (no clutter), including encrypted and ALL HD S2 channles. In the HTPC with two tuners, it works exactly like a S*y HD box but much slicker.

I hope this has cleared up a few things - let me know if not. I've tried for literally years to get a full, dual tuner, HD, encrypted Sky system running under media center and it's great to have finally got there. I imagine there are some surprises from S*y in September but I'd be really surprised if CCcam and NewCS sodtware couldn't keep pace!

Regards

29. clanmackenzie

clanmackenzie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody got the new sky card working in the dragon cam yet. Is there a new pred release that can decrypt the new card or are we dead in the water.

I have not changed my card yet but every time I put the original one into the digibox it tells me to put my new card in however it still updates the old one - for now at least, not sure how long this will continue to work.

30. dakn

dakn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Neil,

Could you please tell me if I would still need a FloppyDTV card or could I use any S2 card such as the Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-HD-S2 (Which is much cheaper).

Thanks
    Dakn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.