1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's your Viera Buzzing?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by sabujo, Aug 28, 2004.

1. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Altough I have nothing to compare it with, except for my 8 year old 29'' Sony CRT, the high frequency buzzing sound coming from my 42'' Viera seems a tad too loud for my liking. Even louder than the buzzing from my sony crt. Any thoughts on how to get rid of this?

2. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    have you fiied your ferrite cores to your in coming cables?
    regards red

3. SilverPenguin7

SilverPenguin7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I thought it was just the PSU inside the screen and there isn't much that can be done?

Do the core things stop it as mine are still in the box!

4. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i can not hear a thing from mine. I haven't used the cores either.

5. Orlando

Orlando

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    My Viera doesn't buzz either. Its very quite actually, my Sky + box is much louder.
    However has anyone noticed, the Viera has a fan which comes on occasionally.
    Sometimes when I have the set on standby, a fan comes on and you can feel warm air coming out of the back of the set. Not a problem, I just didn't know it had one.

6. ums69

ums69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No buzz at all. Fan comes on....? Never noticed. I will really check this out.
    I messure the temperature from the back at about 43 degress.

7. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I fitted the ferrites on the ac cord, and my Avant flat Scart Cable already has ferrite on the plug case. Haven´t tried them on the aerial (actually, its cable tv) cable. Going to try tomorrow, see if it works, but I won't hold my breath. I'm leaning more towards the psu for a culprit, as I noticed the buzzing increases along with the contrast or the amount of withe being displayed on the screen. I don't plan on returning this unit because of this, but I'm worried 'cause it might be a simptom of a fault in the electronics :suicide: .

8. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It has a fan???? Fine by me.

9. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    come on guys they will only work if you have a problem in the first place my viera does not buzz as well but sabujo does.
    sabujo if this does not work try a process of alimanation remove all equipment
    speakers amps cables around plasma to find if problem disappears to find what is inducing noise or whether its internal . its times like this when good cables help
    regards red.

10. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Loads of Plasma's buzz, normally its a power supply fault and there
    is nothing you can do about it. (apart from drowning it out by turning the hifi up)

I love it when the Hifi looneys start to move into TV areas. CABLEs CABLEs they shout. Cable quality hardly makes any difference at all at audio and video freq. signals

11. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Interesting.
    On what are you baseing this on?

12. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    pjc,

Mate, you are talking rubbish. Happy to prove it to you. Come to Shropshire and I will show you the difference between a £10 cable and a £100 cable.

Piers
    www.homecinemaengineering

13. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :suicide:

if you think there is no difference between the crappy scarts you get free with dvd players etc and a decent scart, I suggest you visit your local optician.

14. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    let me explain more fully
    Any BNC/phono/component cable made from copper multistrand core (75 ohms) and copper woven shield will do the same job. This cable retails at about 50p a meter. The main difference between the quality of the cable will be if the pins are soldered rather than crimped at either end. I suspect the expensive cables will be crimped anyway cos it's easy. There is very little that can go wrong with shielded cables.
    SCART is a bit of a naff way for transmitting RGB signals cos it uses unshielded wires and the connection pins/sockets are not really secure. The really big problems with most SCARTs is the video loopback. If you plug a fully wired SCART into a tv set and then connect the other end to a SKY box, then watch SKY in RGB mode, you are likely to see ghosting. The ghosting is caused by your tv tuner sending composite signals back to your SKY box. Easy to stop cut pin 19 off one end of the SCART, cut pin 20 off the other end of the SCART (maybe snip the 4 audio pins off too). You now have a custom made SCART lead as good as any on the market (it only works one way now tho) The only way you could make a better SCART cable would be to use shielded cable on each video connection.

How much is a video cable worth
    50p for each connector + 50p per meter of shielded wire
    so a 2 meter rgbhv cable has 10m of shielded cable + 10 connectors = £10 retail

On what basis am I working
    A degree in electical and electronic engineering + 20 years working in broadcasting engineering, using a scope to view video signals, and generally all of us in the industry laughing our heads off at the peeps buying "special" video cables from salesman who know little or nothing of television. If they're not used in the broadcasting industry, why would you need them at home?

15. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    ok. I know this thread is going a little off topic now but how come people can see a difference in picture qualtiy when different cables are used then? are we all imaging things?

16. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    pj your wrong,
    more often buzzing would be more likely caused by a inadacate earthing arrangement than a u/s psu.
    as regards cabling who said good cables had to be expensive,i bought a cable simalar to what youve previously explained but i auditioned against a cable i new was excellent the nordost optix,its just as important to keep a consistant
    load which keeps tranny/psu running at its full potentail hence this is where we get manufactures min /max cable lenghts, to small a length of the wrong cable is just as bad as to long a length of quality cable.
    regards red

17. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    Scart cables can be a bit of a scam really.

Some are extortionately priced and if you do as PJclark says you can make a £10 cable perform superbly.

When you have two bits of equipment talking to each other across 21 pins many a cable fails. Either you get video ghosting from Pin 19 on the composite loop, or if they have shielded video decently nearly every scart I have come across does not shield the audio's sufficiently. This includes upto the £50-70 bracket and even beyond. Personally on the audio I snip pin 1 & 3 as well as it cuts out the audio out and crosstalk that happens.

The best cables to get are ribbon cables as they provide the best isolation by virtue of their design. As long as they're 75ohm certified £10-20 buys you a good enough cable with half decent plugs. Open the plug up to make the mod or if it's moulded take a cutter to the pins and you would be hard pushed to differentiate from the so called top end stuff.

Oh and I get no buzzing from my Viera btw.

18. sabujo

sabujo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, guys!!! I've got a lot to try during this week after reading your pointers. I'll let you know how it turned out. :thumbsup:

19. big dave

big dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, mine buzzes slightly. Usually when the contrast is set higher (due to the other half turning it up). If anyone can explain this, I would be grateful. I have never seen a plasma that doesn't buzz at least slightly. I sent two plasmas back for this same issue.

The flourescent light in my wardrobe makes more noise, so the slight noise on my viera isn't a problem.

20. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How much is a video cable worth
    50p for each connector + 50p per meter of shielded wire
    so a 2 meter rgbhv cable has 10m of shielded cable + 10 connectors = £10 retail

At last, someone who talks COMMON SENSE about video/audio cables.
    And clear instructions on how to produce a first class custom cable for less than a tenner.

When you spend £100 for a couple of metres for copper, you WANT to see an improvement.
    And eventually you do see it .... event if it isn't there!
    It's either that or feeling extremely sick!

21. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Sorry this has gone totally off topic but
    I'm glad to see others agreeing with me, here are some more cable prices
    best quality 15 pin d-sub VGA cables £5 from ebuyer.co.uk
    perfectly good TOSlink cables 99p each from ebay.co.uk

these are as good as any on the market, why pay more?

22. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    there seems to be a hint of green eyed monster going on rather than people
    gaving good honest advise no wonder people are worrying about buying kit i mean even comet where running a scart lead demo with a cheap and £50 monster cable on asplit screen panny 36 crt from two identical dvd players and house wives could see the difference i mean who else do you need to convince!

23. AgentCool

AgentCool

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +184
    On the subject of SCART cables, I think that there is a difference between cheaper and more expensive cables. I was using cheap scarts before I upgraded to QED P2110s. The difference is definitely noticable. Blacks are deeper, more natural looking and the whole image is less grainy. Of course, the new cables don't do anything to solve flickering but the extra money was well worth it.

24. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +468
    If you compared a cheap scart cable to an expensive one per se, yes of course the dearer one would be better. But the point is with a quick mod you can make the cheaper one into a superb one at the fraction of the expensive ones.

Granted not everyone wants to take a cutter to a brand new cable. That serves to keep the big brands happy.

I have box loads of £50 cables here at home, Ixos's, Tech-Links, QED's etc etc. TBH I would hesitate to buy them again at their prices now.

Recently I bought Philex Home Cinema ones for £6.99 a piece. They perform just like their bigger brother award winner Thor one. Both show crosstalk on audio but I snipped Pins 1&3 on the output to rid that problem. So, for £6.99 I have cables that rival the £29 Thor.

Andy on these forums does the Thor for £18 which is a nice deal at that price. Very well constructed interconnect that you don't need to spend anymore on. He also does flat ribbon ones starting at £5.99 (very very nice cable at silly money), once again a quick mod transforms a good cable into a blinder. The only downside with it was it had clumped the 4 audio's together which is strange for a ribbon, snip 1&3 and now I cannot tell the difference from that and the Ixos that I got from him, none at all.

Anyway I think this is all going off topic now on the original thread.

25. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I may not know how to tell the difference between a £50 and a £5 cable,
    but I do know how to give some good honest advice.
    There can be no credibility for those who cannot spell!

advice, picture, knew, were, indicate, similar

26. red severn

red severn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    luckerly my spelling and hand writing have not affected my eyes and ears
    enjoy your samsung!
    regards red.

27. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Just for info my Viera buzzes but only very faintly, you have to mute the sound and stick yer head behind the TV in order to really hear it. Like others it seems to be dependent on how much white the panel is displaying, i.e. more white gives a louder buzz, but at normal listening volumes I can't hear it.

S.

28. rooney

rooney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    had my pe30 from as soon as they were realesed i can hear no buzzing at all
    sky plus can be noisy when the fan comes on i have an ear for bumps knocking iregular sounds buzzing etc they drive me mad need to find out what it is and where its coming from and how to fix it but nothing coming from my pe30

29. Barend

Barend

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    FWIW and for what I'm worth: :D

1. For interconnects I take RG59C/U cable (or double screened coax) and solder all metal phono plugs that fit tightly in the sockets. Expensive cables are nonsense- all placebo effects and commercial mumbojumbo. Good screening and good fit is important, everything else is rubbish as any studio tech will confirm.
    "Now listen to THIS cable!" they tell ya with a twinkle in the eye, and sure you'll hear a difference...
    I've yet to hear from a conclusive blind test - with just plain listeners in the room (no salespeople).

2. For speaker cables 4mm or 6mm braided copper is already an overkill, for convenience use bananas that fit tight (many don't for instance the gold ones with the rear screw that ALWAYS gets loose) and have 2 clamping screws.

3. Using gold stuff is utter nonsense, even so called "technical people" don't seem to make basic calculations as to resistance vs impedance. Silver wire is even more stupid, as the skin effect starts to weigh in just over 30 MHz...
    4. Anything on the mains side is useless- look at the wires inside the equipment...nuff said. House wiring is 2,5mm anyway, and if you think you need a filtered mains socket go ahead and buy a cheap one, but feeding the mains thru a toroid will do the same if you have nasty HF interference- clamp cores are not very good.

Bought an second hand Arcam cd player from the UK two years ago that came with a thick expensive cable, and just for kicks I measured it on the analyser- it had quite high capacitance which caused some rolled off treble, explaining the "warm" sound it "gave"!
    Cables NEVER give sound unless you suck on them.

Sorry if I tread on anyone's toes, but when I see a posting advocating the use of expensive interconnects I just have to shout! :)

Barend

30. Hodman

Hodman
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Very well put Barend !