1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's this for honesty?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I was talking to one of our tech guys at work today and we got talking about LCD panels. Anyhow to cut to the chase, he reckons for anyone looking to buy a half decent 32" LCD panel in the £1K bracket you could do a lot worse than the Daewo. Having looked at the site I enclose specs so you can judge for yourself

FEATURES

32" 1080i and 720P HDTV
    16:9, 4:3, Zoom, Panorama
    1360 x 768 (WXGA) Resolution
    500cd/m2 Brightness
    500:1 Contrast ratio
    Viewing (R/L/U/D) 88” / 88” / 88” / 88”
    Picture Improvement: Digital Comb filter, Motion Adaptive Noise Reduction, Edge Smooth, Black Stretcher
    Video Control: PIP, Double window
    Picture User Control: Contrast / Brightness / Colour / Sharpness
    Picture Status: Strong / Standard / Soft / Custom
    Audio: Stereo Integrated Sound System, A2 / NICAM Surround, Standard, Music, Speech, Movie, User 5-Band Equalizer
    Total Audio (watts): 8.0 + 8.0 W / 8 ohm (RMS)
    Sleep Timer, ON/OFF Timer, Auto Power Off
    Teletext / ATSS
    181 Channel, Quick View, Program Edit
    FS Tuning System
    Connections: DVI Input: 720 x 400 @70/85, SVGA, XGA (1024 x 768), VGA, 832 x 624 @ 75, WXGA(1360 x 768), 576p(50Hz), 1080i(50/60Hz), 480p(60Hz), 720p(50/60Hz)
    Full Scart AV1 in / out
    Half Scart AV2 in / out
    AV3 input RCA Jack (V,L,R), S-VHS Input, Component 1 & 2(Input Y,Pb, Pr
    D-Sub Jack 15 Pin (Input)
    DVI-D (Digital Visual Interface), HDCP (broadcast) Compliant
    PC Audio Input
    Remote Control: 41 keys

However, what really intrigued me was the following statement contained within the glossary, and how's this for a refreshing piece of honesty?

Technology and Design
    The key features responsible for the brilliance of a LCD picture are brightness and contrast ratio (typically 300CD bright and 500:1 contrast). Daewo Electronics' LCD technology is setting new standards in this field. You will experience rich colours presented in a unique sharpness even above that of the best CRT display in the world. Looking at an LCD TV will be a startling experience in the context of High Definition. CRT however, still reigns supreme in the low resolution (480i) broadcast medium, and 480P DVD

Now I'm sure not many other manufacturers would state that for everyday viewing CRT reigns supreme.

2. domtheone

domtheone
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,275
    It could only be the Daewoo :D :D

3. snoods

snoods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Kilwinning, North Ayrshire, Scotland, UK.
    Ratings:
    +32
    Groan :rolleyes: LOL

I haven't seen any Daewoo goods advertised on TV for yonks now, they used to be all time. "That'll be the Daewoo" hmmmmmm.

4. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    But they are less than honest in their interpretation of 'standard setting' contrast ratios. The statement above would make you think that 500:1 contrast ratio (assuming its measured in the same way as other displays) is good when many other displays have been 800:1 for quite some time.

-Ian

5. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +488
    I saw a Daewoo demonstrated on one of the Home Shopping channels last week. Could have been QVC, but I'm not sure.

6. Ramspeed

Ramspeed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Nonetheless Faust and Daewoo are right in this regard: CRT's are much better at handling 480i and 480p inputs. There is absolutely no good reason to get and LCD unless you have a hi def source. Give an LCD or plasma 720p and it'll blow your socks off - give it anything else and you'll want your old CRT back.

Edit: with the possible exception of the new Sharp P series (due July) designed specifically for PAL broadcasts.

7. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    It is true that a CRT manages to blend lower quality sources rather more easily than LCD's do.

I cannot comment on the new Sharps, but in my experience LCD's can usually be set up to do a pretty impressive job with standard broadcasts too.

Jimmy

8. onefivenine

onefivenine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Daewoo's honesty should be commended.

They're doing the right thing by promoting facts that are usually only known by techie geeks like us. :thumbsup: and it was almost in laymans terms.

Unfortunately very few people who buy LCD will learn these facts beforehand.

I can't imagine high street electrical retailers advising customers that unless they have the right player/source, and the right cabling, then they should stick to their old CRT. Or get a new CRT instead!

A lot of people fall for the LCD gimmick without even understanding their own requirements.

9. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    This is exactly the point I was trying to make when I posted the material from the Daewo website. It really does make a refreshing change for a manufacturer to print a statement such as this. It is in stark contrast to other manufacturers such as Panasonic, they are always proud to announce this and that but never print statements such as Daewo's. To be fair, non of the other big players are any better. I will be interested to see the Sharp when it is released if it has been designed with PAL in mind. As someone whose only interest is broadcast t.v. - the non Hi Def variety, this could be just the panel that swings it for me.