1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hows this for a weird problem.

Discussion in 'Satellite TV, Sky TV & FreeSat' started by GalacticaActual, Dec 22, 2004.

1. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    So, for a while now every time a car goes past the house in a certain direction the picture on sky digital breaks up :confused: . Now the road that goes past my front door is on a very slight incline. standing out side the house, the road goes down hill form right to left. The dish is on the left hand side of the house at the front. Every one still with me?, good ;) . IN the evening after 6 pm, on certain channels like uk gold and living tv, the music channels and E ,when a car comes up the hill and past the house the PICTURE AND SOUND WILL BREAK UP. This only happens when a car goes this way and not down the hill :confused: :laugh: .
    Now I have spoken to sky about this. I have had my digi box well over 2 years now so it is out of warranty ,so to fix it is gonna cost me :rolleyes:
    What I was woundering though has anyone else had this sort of problem, and what was done to solve it? The guy I spoke to at sky did not have a clue and had never heard of such a problem before :laugh:

2. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if I had the same problem or not, but I do live somewhere that seems to have similar house/road conditions to you and for a while I was plagued with Sky digital picture break up even after the dish was aligned and I had excellent strength/quality readings. It drove me so mad that I gave up on Sky for a while and only plugged it all back in when I got a plasma (terrestrial really sucked!). Wadya know it's been perfect ever since despite nothing being changed with the set up.

This is obviously of no use to you at all :rolleyes: but I thought I would just sympathise with someone who's having reception problems when there's no "logical" reason! I guess yours seems to be so reproduceable that you have to suspect some kind of interference - but I didn't think vehicle electromagnetic emissions were "supposed" to impact satellite (just microwave?)

Do I get a prize for the longest but most useless post?!

Simon

3. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    If the signal that you are receiving is "on the edge" because of dish misalignment, the interference caused by passing cars could push it over the edge. Although satellite TV is not a terrestrial signal, the cables from the dish to LNB are still capable of picking up interference.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979

Is this is happening for every vehicle that goes past in that direction and then only on certain frequencies (channels) ?
    Considering that there is a time element to the interference it would at least to me indicate an external signal (microwave towers, radar, mobile radar dectector etc) is being turned on every day otherwise your signal would break up all the time and hence would point to an internal problem (cables, lnb etc).

5. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    well there is a guy two doors down from me that is really in to cb radio and all that sort of thing. He has a couple of big antenas in his back garden. do you think this might be the problem? why does the signal only break up when cars are going in the specific direction and not both ways :confused: ?

6. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a farm across the valley from me that has huge towers that are apparently CB antennas! Not only are they an eyesore but if they caused my reception problems in the past I'll be on to the Council!...

Simon

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    It's unlikely to be interference from CB radio or other transmitter. My money is still on ignition interference from cars. When they're going up the hill, there will be more interference because the engines are working harder.

8. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    Just to clarify:)

Picture breaks up at anytime of the day or is it just after 6pm?

9. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202

It does seem to be just in the evening :confused:
    I was thinking that maybe, and dont laugh, that because of the rotation of the planet that in the evening , if the dish is slightly out of alinment ,that the signal on certain channels becomes weaker and the cars actually cut into the signal from a certain direction :laugh: :laugh:. ..............I think I am just grasping at straws here :D

10. geeWcee

geeWcee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I get the same problem on my bedroom TV upstairs but with terrestrial. Every time a vehicle goes up the hill past my window the picture degrades for a few seconds.

11. the klang

the klang

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    move the dish somewhere else on the side of the house,it might be the side of the road the cars are on and not the direction they are going in.other than that i dont know what else to suggest,sorry.

12. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202

NO quite as easy as that me old mate, doesnt it have to be done by the proper people. I would not know how to realinge the dish to get the picture back for a start :D

13. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    If he has planning permission and the CB transmissions are legal (in frequency, modulation-mopde and power) , it will be nothing to do with any council.
    Ofcom (formerly the RIS or Radio Investigation Service) would be the people to contact.
    It could actually be amateur radio , but again this would be in Ofcom's domain not the council's.
    Reception problems are quite often the fault of badly designed equipment or inappropriate receive antenna installations too.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

14. Tony Roma

Tony Roma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    A friend of mine had a similar problem, it turned out to be a sat nav system in a neighbours car,

15. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always been suspicious about the planning permission aspect as I never got one of those letters thru my door asking if I had any problems - the towers just appeared. They are seriously huge - look like something from WW2 radar!

Simon

16. John

John

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,663
    Dodgy streetlamp ?? I'm sure I read somewhere that these can cause problems
    JS

17. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +712
    How long have the towers been there ?

After 4 years they can claim "deemed planning permission" - as I did for my 30 foot antenna tower (amateur radio on 144/432 MHz and amateur TV on 1.2/2.3/10 GHz) as well as a 2-metre diameter dish on the 1-storey sunlounge roof.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

18. PLN

PLN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just a thought - but could it be that the interference is with your tv and not the sky box etc as a previous posted said his change of TV solved his problem?

Also not every car is going to cause interference problems only the old ones?

19. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +202
    I have had a number of tvs in the last few months :D and I have still had this problem with sky.