Hows The Radiance Coming Along!

Lesterjd

As the title really...I've been saving since last year and can't wait to buy one, any news on how all these Beta Units are progressing with the testing.When will they be shipping the first batches? Plus any other updates you can think of. Gorden calling Gorden!

Lesterjd

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Lester,

I was out all day. Part of the NDA has been lifted by Lumagen so some of the beta testers may comment on what they are allowed to. It'd probably be indiscreet of me to bleat on about it being the best thing ever.

I've not checked yet but I suspect there may be more comments about it over at the US based forum with a similar title to this one.

As for shipping first batched. They have been shipping them since early June in small numbers. Remember, beta units are hardware finished..only change to call them production units is to load the first production firmware when it is released. There is no set in stone date for when Jim will call firmware "production".

Gordon

VirusKiller

Here are the details of the partial NDA lift originally posted on AVS here.

Jim Peterson said:
I am going to partially release Beta users from the NDA. I was going to do this at CEDIA, but since that is only a few days away I will go ahead and do it now. So, here are the changes to the NDA:

- RadianceXD Beta users can now publicly comment on video quality, and the general usability/reliability of the RadianceXD software. Please make sure to note that the comments relate to Beta software. It would also be good to reference the Beta release date in the text so it can more easily stay with the comments over time.

- Please no "lists" of missing features. Of course some of this will come out with the video quality comments, and since we post the new features with each release on our website, people will be able to follow our progress there.

- Bug reports need to be posted on the closed Beta forum, which is still under NDA or by email/phone with Lumagen.

- Audio is still under NDA until we get it closer to complete.

=====

Some general comments on where we are with software:

We have made a lot of progress, but have had to -- once again -- fight with a couple of chips not behaving themselves. We have these chips working well now.

We have a lot of video functionality in the software, but not the more advanced features such as parametric grayscale, Gamut control, or the Gennum enhancement controls.

At this point we are concentrating on getting audio functionality in. We have found that HDMI audio was not designed to be simple to implement. So audio is taking longer than it might have. We have audio working in the lab for all input/output combinations, but have work to do to integrate it in the software. Our next feature release will be audio, followed by primary gamut control and then grayscale/gamma.

Still have lots to do before we can release to production, but I think the video quality is already excellent. Let’s see if our Beta users agree…

VirusKiller

Here's my summary of the Radiance so far, originally posted on AVS here.

VirusKiller said:
Looks like I'm in first :)

I'm using a Radiance with a JVC HD1 (RS1). Sources are Oppo HD970 (DVD), Toshiba HD-XA1 (HD DVD), Sony PS3 (Blu-Ray), and a SkyHD satellite receiver (here in the UK). All connections are via HDMI.

The deinterlacing from the latest Gennum chip is pretty much beyond reproach. My comment covers deinterlacing of 480i60 film, 576i50 video and film, 1080i60 film, and 1080i50 video.

Lumagen's NoRing scaling is quite exceptional. I haven't seen it in the Vision series, but one other Radiance Beta user privately commented to me early on that the Radiance's scaling is "at least as good" as his HDQ. No doubt it will get even better as the algorithms are refined.

In short, the image from vanilla DVD is the best I have seen, bar none. To put this into context, I have previously seen Faroudja 2310 (Philips 963SA SDI --> Crystalio I --> Panasonic AE900), Gennum 9351 (Oppo HD970 and Meridian G98 480/576p HDMI --> JVC HD1), and Meridian (G98 --> JVC HD1 and 800 --> DVP1080 --> MF1) scaling solutions. Take a good disc such as Star Wars Ep. IV and it really "approaches" HD. Certainly, it is exceptionally filmic with minimal artifacting. In fact, almost all artifacting I've seen is due to excessive edge-enhancement in the source material.

Obviously, the Radiance has much less to do with full HD signals. Nevertheless, images from HD DVD, Blu-Ray, and HD satellite look appropriately stunning. HD sport is quite wonderful on the big screen – recent football (soccer!) matches on the BBC, for instance. Planet Earth in HD on Sky is quite breathtaking.

Scaling of SD satellite is better than my old SDI-modded sat receiver into the Crystalio. Bit-rate is most definitely a significant factor in the final image quality. For reasons I cannot comment on at this time, I expect the quality of OTA broadcasts to improve considerably before the production release.

The Radiance is a lot more usable than I thought it would be. It's a very fast machine and very pleasant to use. The menus take a little getting used to if you are new to Lumagen, but quite logical IMO.

I have to comment about the whole Beta process. Quite simply, it's been a pleasure. Jim and his team are very open about things and very quick to respond to issues. As it should be IMO. I purchased a Beta unit very early on. I wanted the best quality, a certain minimum feature set, excellent customer service, and a large degree of future-proofing. I have not been disappointed so far.

Negatives? In terms of video quality and Beta customer experience, erm, none. In terms of things I can't comment on, nothing of significance. Really.

Steve_B

Interesting...

Can anyone comment on the price it will be? From memory $4k but how does that translate over here... £4K??? :eek:

Lesterjd

Thank you very much to everyone who replied, there's going to be a lot of happy people out there and it sound's like the testing is coming along great.:thumbsup:

Lesterjd

Jonesthegas

Gordon,

Any idea when Jim will announce the availability of the Pro unit (or is too tied up with this version)? It is confirmed that they will do a Pro version with HD-SDI and BNCs isn't it?

The smart DAC I crave looks as if it won't happen. For us CRT users Jim, since 1080p72 isn't doable because of the HDMI clock, suggested reducing the horizontal resolution from 1920 to something like 1700. Would this introduce any problems/artefacts as far as you are aware?

Martin

Barcoing Mad

I've noticed a lot of HD DVD are 2.4:1 ratio. This makes [email protected] worthwhile, saving a chunk of bandwidth/clock rate. I assume that the Radiance will have a pixel mapping facility to avoid unnecessary scaling and 3:3 cadence locking.

timmorris

I moved from an HDQ to a Radiance, and even though they haven't implemented all of the Gennum's video processing features yet the de-interlacing and scaling of the Radiance is superior to the Vision series. It is most noticeable on SD material, but HD is stunning particularly on BBC HD. I've watched a large number of films from HD movies 1 and 2 and Sky seem to be either buying better quality transfers or they are getting better at using the equipment in house, as their movies are getting close to the standard of the BBC material now. I use 50 to 60Hz frame rate conversion for my plasma and the video processing has speeded up already even though the code isn't fully optimised yet. I used to have to set 160ms on Sky HD - it is now down to 120.

The Radiance is probably overkill for me as I only have three sources but I'm looking forward to connecting my bedroom TV to the second output once sound is fully implemented.

Although I only had the HDQ for a year I've found a good home for it so if I had to make the decision to move to the Radiance again having seen it working I most certainly would. I'm looking forward to the production version Calman V3 becoming available - just like the Vision series it will be able to use the Lumagen as a signal generator when calibrating a display and there is commitment from Calman's developers to make sure it is compatible with the Radiance's colour management software down the line.

I'm sure that once the software gets to full production status the Radiance will be difficult to beat. Just like the Vision series support is excellent and the team are actively soliciting user opinions as they introduce new features.

Tim

StooMonster

Ring-free scaling is exceptional. :smashin: The PQ is starting to look extremely good, we'll know more once a few more features are implemeted.

I miss SDI inputs. :thumbsdow

StooMonster

Can anyone show me an off-screen macro shot of, say, a resolution test pattern scaled with Lumagen's ring-free wizardry? From any Lumagen product?

To see it with my own eyes, of course :)

And thanks for that link - those pictures say it all :thumbsup:

lenny

Good morning the happy beta testers. I hope you continue enjoing your new beast.
I'm looking at some information on the radiance:
1. How much does it weight?
2. What are the dimentions of the box in which it is delivered?
3. How much is the gross weight of the box (with the Radiance inside)?
4. Do you know when it is going to be released for sale officially? My last information was after the Cedia.

In advance thank you for your help. Best regards. Lenny

timmorris

Good morning the happy beta testers. I hope you continue enjoing your new beast.
I'm looking at some information on the radiance:
1. How much does it weight?
2. What are the dimentions of the box in which it is delivered?
3. How much is the gross weight of the box (with the Radiance inside)?
4. Do you know when it is going to be released for sale officially? My last information was after the Cedia.

In advance thank you for your help. Best regards. Lenny

So you want those of us in the UK who went through official channels to pay for the support of the UK distributor to help you parallel import one so you can save £500, and still benefit from the free support the UK distributor gives on this forum?

See if there are UK beta units still available it makes the price difference much lower. I had an HDQ issue - trying to drive a 7 year old Pioneer plasma. Gordon spent 45 minutes on the phone to me at 8 p.m. making himself late for a meeting having been out with clients all day helping me sort out the problem. It isn't a large unseen corporation that supports Lumagen in the UK, and if you want that support you have to pay for it.

I may be completely wrong of course, but I can't think of any other reason that you'd need shipping weight and size. I've got a Radiance box within 10 feet of me so I'd love to be proved wrong...

Tim

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Tim,

I don't think that Lenny necessarily wants to import from USA....and in fact it is unlikely that Lumagen would sell him one direct as they have a french distributor.

Not all distributors have elected to take part in the beta test programme.

Don't have a box beside me but...roughly
55cm x 35cm x 35cm and around 10kg.....but this is off top of my head.

You can order one whenever you like but dependant on who you buy from will dictate how long you have to wait to get a device. For specific timescales it is best to speak directly to your preferred supplier. All that will change from one supplied now to one supplied when the firmware is "production" is the firmware. Hardware is the same. There is no set date for when Lumagen will call firmware "production".

timmorris

Oops, missed the location.

I must admit the question of parallel importing via a US dealer did go through my mind before the UK price was announced, but when I worked out the price difference and factored in the difference UK support makes it was a no brainer.

Tim

lenny

Thank you for your answers.
I live in France and I've left Italy because I do (can) not accept the "italian system"... that speaks for itself.
If I was so lucky (from an HT point of view) to live in UK, Gordon would have get my order long time ago. Unfortunatelly the HT landscape in France is far from the one you are used and service is an unknown word here.

Best regards. Lenny

chambeaj

So if one were to place an order for a Lumagen Radiance (say in the next 2 weeks) how many weeks/months are we looking at before delivery ?

The latest video from AVForums

LG G1 OLED Evo TV and SVS SB-1000 Pro subwoofer reviews, Samsung OLED rumours and more...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

BAFTA 2021 awards sees Nomadland as big winner
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Netflix UK for May 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung rumoured to be buying OLED TV panels from LG Display
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Netflix signs with Sony for first streaming rights in U.S.
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Pro launches C10 MkII speaker
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom