1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How's the Panasonic 42PH6 these days?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rauer, Jan 17, 2005.

1. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    It's been a while since I've been reading about plasmas (still to buy the first one). Now, the prices have dropped so much that the time to get one is near. Unfortunately I'm currently totally ignorant regarding the current crop of plasmas. I noticed that the high res 42 inch Panasonic series 6 is nowadays relatively cheap. How would you rate it today, what are the issues? Is there a DVI/HDMI board available or would I be stuck to analog inputs? What would be the newer choices (true HD, DVI/HDMI, around the same price level)?

Cheers

2. shymonk

shymonk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dont Know much on tech level but install Tv'S for a living and the panasonics are our favorite picture at the moment (lcd and plasma)

3. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    The panasonic is still in my opinion in the top 3 plasmas available, but it will not take 720p/50 and 1080i/50 over the DVI board, which is what sky is going to be using for their HD services (well they have said they are so for the time being we should believe that to be the case).
    The DVI board will take (with HDCP)
    480p 60
    576p 50
    720p 60
    1080i 60

So they will work with pal and ntsc dvd and with the new HD-DVD format if you buy region 1 stuff, which I buy 99% off now anyway.
    To watch sky on the HD6 you will need to buy a transcoder that converts the DVI to RGB/H/V, or you could buy a scaler like the Lumagen DVI, one was on here used for £500 iover the weekend, this would convert the 720p50 or 1080i50 to 60Hz so the DVI board would accept it.

With the savings you can make on the HD6, and scotty boy was offering his with over 2 years warranty left for £2K so used looks tempting too, you could get a superb HD panel and a used scaler which would give you the most out of SD sources and let you watch HD for around £2500.
    Tempting!

The pioneer 435fde and xde do all the HD resolutions out of the box, but if you like the pnasonic image you may not like the Pioneer, I am not a fan at all, and my mate has just gone from a PW6 to a 435xde and is very very disapointed, he is trying to get them to give him a good trade in price against a Panasonic HD6 or 7.

The NEC units are getting pretty good reviews in the USA and from people who have gone from Panasonic to them.

Not sure about the Fujitsu panels and whetehr they will take all the resolutions, HornyDragon knows alot about them so he can probaly fill you in on them, I would like to know too.

There are loads of threads on here at the moment so it is worth spending a couple of evenings catching up.

4. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hi, the 6 series left will all be euro imports if you are UK based, might not be your cup of tea. 7 series are still excellent value. Fujitsu are about to deliver some shiny new panels to me, which they assure me are fully HDMI 1.1 compliant, and seemed to know what this means! However, their hi res panel is Alis, which means it's internal refresh runs at 60Hz, and it may have issues with 1080i, the issue being it can't be bothered to scale it so it chucks away about 12% of the picture. Not sure on that bit yet, just every other alis panel does it. The ED panel, 852/480, will have none of these problems, this is the VHA40. Lots of promise, wait and see is the best advice!

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Higher RES PHD7 is cheaper...... but HDMI limited support is a potential pit fall (if you are a big SKy subscriber)
    HDMI and panels dont mix well at the moment......

6. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cheers guys for the update! It's funny how quickly one loses the touch - at one time I thought I had a pretty good idea where the plasma technology was at. I'm not a Brit myself, so no Sky etc. for me. The retailers I noticed were actually German, as I tend to buy most of my AV gear from Germany. The prices, salesman knowledge and product availability are a joke here (northern edge of the world).

7. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Thanks for the vote of confidence, mate!

8. rauer

rauer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I hope you didn't misinterpret me. I was talking about the local Finnish sorry-excuse-for-a-salesman guys. ;)

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +660
    HaHa!!

I don't think he is in the UK, I think he meant the retailers in his home country are a joke, not in the UK.