1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hows about Wharfedale LCD TVs???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by cucumberuk, Jul 31, 2005.

1. cucumberuk

cucumberuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I was wondering if anybody new about or were to get more information on Wharfedale LCD TV's. As you would expect, the Wharfedale website is all about speakers.

Argos has started selling a range of Wharfedale LCD TV's with integrated Digital Tuners. The addition of integrated Digital TV would be a nice extra on top of having an LCD TV and the 17 inch version looks quite attractive in that it doesn't have a large frame. Therefore, I thought one of these would be quite good. But at what price in terms of picture quality and reliability.

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers in advance.

P.S. See http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...9&catName_2=Jewellery+and+watches&catHits_2=1

2. caverncity

caverncity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Its amazing how these companies pay for the licence to use these once well known HQ brands hoping that older uninformed buyers will remember them and buy them on the name alone.
    Wharfedale and Goodmans and BUSH for instance, once very good quality products not high end but still very good but now slapped over low end tat. The same with DUAL now being used by Asda.
    If you look at the Argos web site you will see a Goodmans 32" lcd and the Wharfedale 32" LCD both with freeview and both the exact same model, however one at £799 and one at £899.

3. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I object to you calling the Asda LCD "low end tat" :mad:

This is a re-badged Hitachi and is an excellent TV.

Dave

4. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just seen your post in another thread!

Dave

5. caverncity

caverncity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I know I should have started a new paragraph so it didnt coincide with the "low end tat" bit :oops:

I was refering to old Hi-Fi names being used again now.
    I still stick to what I said about the others though. The DUAL is a good TV (except on PC) and BTW it is not a Hitachi, it may be used by Hitachi and they have had their name put on it but it is a generic TV produced in one factory and sold on to companies who cant afford to produce a cheap TV for the low end market.

6. DaveP

DaveP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good point about not being a true Hitachi. But if it's good enough for them to put their name, it's good enough for me!

What makes you say "The DUAL is a good TV (except on PC) "? I use it mainly as a PC monitor and I don't see how the pq can be beaten! I don't use the terrestrial tuner (I wish I could turn it off!) as I have a freeview box. I now feed the s-video out of that into my tv card and use dscaler to get an even better picture. If it wasn't for the PC side of things I would probably have taken it back.

Apologies to cucumberuk for hi-jacking his thread!

Dave

7. caverncity

caverncity
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have just bought the samsung 32" and was going to keep the DUAL as a monitor but when I hooked it up yesterday I could barely read the text. Pictures and vid where fine but text was awful

mike

8. shreddieeddie

shreddieeddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Did you end up getting one of these Wharfedale LCD TV's, for £299 with a digi tuner i dont think the price is too bad. People rate the Mikomi ok for a cheap LCD but £50 more you get digi tuner which would be nice ... just need to find out what people think and if the wharfedale would be ok.

9. cucumberuk

cucumberuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi.

I'm still waiting for Argos to get them in stock. As I can't find any reviews or spec on the Wharfedale I am planning to try one under the Argos 16 day return policy. If it sucks it's going back. That's of course if the ever get any in.

nellyg, please let me know how you go on if you beat me to it.

10. helpneeded

helpneeded

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you wanna ring Wharfedales Telly Dept, their number is: 0870 6003030

At the end of the day, the quality of the 'low end tat', as they have been previously described, may not be the best, but just L :eek: k at the price.

You cant complain really, I want a Wharfedale 17", but I'm also looking to buy the Samsung LE26R51BD, because I can get it at a good price, otherwise I may have considered the bigger Wharfedale with freeview!

Again, its personal preference, but you gotta weigh up all the pro's n cons!

11. shreddieeddie

shreddieeddie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Think I may try one of these myself, cant be too bad for the price .. only problem being what your experiencing, getting hold of one. No stores round me seem to have them.

Need one before end of August, otherwise the wall mount wont be £12 !

12. cucumberuk

cucumberuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Funny that.

I have just got preliminary authorisation to up the budget off the boss (wife). After looking around we both like the Samsung LE26R51BD even though its over twice the price.

Would 'helpneeded' mind sharing his source for a 'good price' or is it a friend of a friend jobby. If I could get a 'good price' it may take the authorisation status past the preliminary phase.
    :lease: :lease: :lease: