Howard The Duck Limited Edition

brian s

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
10441_tn.jpg

At last a UK blu release for this much maligned classic from 101 Films. Limited to 3,000 copies. I hope this is the uncensored version.

Howard the Duck (1986) (Limited Edition)

Howard the Duck Collector's Edition Blu-ray

Seems like a life time ago I imported the German release.

I've always loved it. My first copy was on Pal Laserdisc. That was the slightly edited/censored version so I also bought the NTSC version.

Bri

I had it on VHS many moons ago when I was a kid. Wasn’t until I imported the Blu off of Amazon that I realised the PAL version was edited though.

I had it on VHS many moons ago when I was a kid. Wasn’t until I imported the Blu off of Amazon that I realised the PAL version was edited though.

I think I must have found out about the full version from the Laserdisc Review Magazine. Hence my buying the US version as well. Would you have understood that edited scene if you'd seen it as a kid?

Bri

I think I must have found out about the full version from the Laserdisc Review Magazine. Hence my buying the US version as well. Would you have understood that edited scene if you'd seen it as a kid?

Bri

I can only recall two scenes that were unfamiliar from the VHS copy I owned.
One with the wallet contents; and the other regarding the lorry cigarette lighter.

I recall a few friends who’d seen my copy say that when it was initially shown on TV, that there were bits they’d never noticed before. The latter scene I just mentioned being the main one.

Something I disbelieved until getting the Blu disc and seeing it myself :D

@brian s

It dawned on me as soon as I saw the part we were talking about on the other thread. It’s on the TV news article as he exits the bus.

Can’t figure how to do the spoiler bit via phone. So I’ll keep it as brief as possible.

If there’s any enhancements done over the version you have, I’d love to know what they were. As it’s certainly not gonna win any reference awards for PQ and audio :D

@brian s

It dawned on me as soon as I saw the part we were talking about on the other thread. It’s on the TV news article as he exits the bus.

Can’t figure how to do the spoiler bit via phone. So I’ll keep it as brief as possible.

If there’s any enhancements done over the version you have, I’d love to know what they were. As it’s certainly not gonna win any reference awards for PQ and audio :D
I certainly don't remember the disc being refrenref quality but it was certainly a step up from the Laserdisc. Did this version actually have a bleep over a swear word.

Bri

I certainly don't remember the disc being refrenref quality but it was certainly a step up from the Laserdisc. Did this version actually have a bleep over a swear word.

Bri

I don’t suppose it’s giving much away by saying how it happens without a spoiler tag.

Yeah. But I’m pretty sure it’s done it in all the versions I’ve seen prior to this.
And would ‘assume’... that it’s intentionally done that way. As it’s depicting a news broadcast interview with some duck hunters. To which the guy they’re chatting to I imagine drops an F bomb.

I don’t suppose it’s giving much away by saying how it happens without a spoiler tag.

Yeah. But I’m pretty sure it’s done it in all the versions I’ve seen prior to this.
And would ‘assume’... that it’s intentionally done that way. As it’s depicting a news broadcast interview with some duck hunters. To which the guy they’re chatting to I imagine drops an F bomb.

I don't remember that but you may well be right. I'll check as soon as I can.

Bri

I don't remember that but you may well be right. I'll check as soon as I can.

Bri
If it’s of any help. I think it’s a minute or so past the 30 minutes mark.

Sorry, I'm confused, is this the same as the German release (is that the same as the US release) or do we not know yet?!

Yep it's there at 32 minutes. It will have been there on the original presentation. Mind it's there shortly after the sex club scenes. Definitely one for the kids.

:laugh:
Bri

OK, cool I will go for it for £12 from Amazon, guilty pleasure! I do remember going to the cinema with my best mate (we must have been 15/16 years old) to see it and for some reason we are still friends today!! :D

Received today! :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom