Question How would you set up lip sync?

Ter

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having a few issues getting lip sync to work accurately over all sources and I hope you guys with more experience may be able to advise me on the best way to set it up.

I have the following kit all attached to a Yamaha RX-V675 receiver:
  1. TV - LG 65EF950V - connected to the receiver HDMI output (ARC) and HDMI 2 on the TV (ARC)
  2. Blu-Ray / Freeview recorder - Panasonic DMR-PWT500 - connected to HDMI 1
  3. Apple TV 3 - connected to HDMI 2
  4. Intel NUC (running Kodi) - connected to HDMI 3
  5. PS3 - connected to HDMI 4
All devices other than the Apple TV are CEC capable.

I've set delay using some lip sync files I downloaded from the net independently on each of the the Blu-Ray / Freeview recorder, Kodi and Apple TV sources. The TV is set to delay its ARC output for its inbuilt Freeview and the Yamaha receiver was set to manual delay (0ms).

Broadly, this has worked just fine, but there are several times I've seen lip-sync being way out - e.g. last night when watching a Blu Ray of Mission Impossible – Rogue Nation. Most other Blu Rays are fine; perhaps some have additional processing demands?

Rather than setting delay on the sources manually as I have described above, would you advise using the automatic syncing features? Having briefly tried this setting, it seems it is slightly out on all sources.

Frustrating and confusing!!!

Any and all advice is gratefully received :)

Cheers,
Kev.

Hi,

I'm having a few issues getting lip sync to work accurately over all sources and I hope you guys with more experience may be able to advise me on the best way to set it up.

I have the following kit all attached to a Yamaha RX-V675 receiver:
  1. TV - LG 65EF950V - connected to the receiver HDMI output (ARC) and HDMI 2 on the TV (ARC)
  2. Blu-Ray / Freeview recorder - Panasonic DMR-PWT500 - connected to HDMI 1
  3. Apple TV 3 - connected to HDMI 2
  4. Intel NUC (running Kodi) - connected to HDMI 3
  5. PS3 - connected to HDMI 4
All devices other than the Apple TV are CEC capable.

I've set delay using some lip sync files I downloaded from the net independently on each of the the Blu-Ray / Freeview recorder, Kodi and Apple TV sources. The TV is set to delay its ARC output for its inbuilt Freeview and the Yamaha receiver was set to manual delay (0ms).

Broadly, this has worked just fine, but there are several times I've seen lip-sync being way out - e.g. last night when watching a Blu Ray of Mission Impossible – Rogue Nation. Most other Blu Rays are fine; perhaps some have additional processing demands?

Rather than setting delay on the sources manually as I have described above, would you advise using the automatic syncing features? Having briefly tried this setting, it seems it is slightly out on all sources.

Frustrating and confusing!!!

Any and all advice is gratefully received :)

Cheers,
Kev.
This is what Panasonic said to me,

The lipsync is normally due to broadcast compression and adding another unit such as the TV in the loop can sometime cause some video processing delay in the loop through function, so using optical direct to the sound source can overcome this issue sometimes. I hope this helps somewhat? Kind regards, Paul Online Support[/QUOTE]

You say by adding another unit such as a TV into the loop can cause this is bonkers. Are you saying that if I take the TV out of the loop will cure the problem? If so what am I suppose to watch!!! As I have said bypassing the tv, HDMI from sky q to my Denon 2200( same with Samsung blu ray) all is fine. But HDMI from Sky q to TV all is not good. From sky pass through my amp and all is not good. The only way to solve is to set the sky to standard rather than Dolby Digital, which when paying that sort of money it should be able to decode normal dd source correctly. My Samsung js 8000 could. And yes I did try different HDMI leads. Anyone with any ideas.

Minimise any additional video processing applied by the TV to its absolute minimum. TVs apply more video processing than most other devices in the chain and a lot of it isn't strictly needed. Enhancehant features such as those associated with motion and frequency are the ones usually responsible for the video lag that cause audio to be out of sync with the video.

Yes I have all the processes off, but it is not unreasonable to expect a TV at this price to be able to have lip sync what ever processing you might want to choose. The sync must be over a second out and trying to watch any thing is unwatchable. Funny thing is when you send just a stereo signal all is fine, which makes me think there is a problem with the TV Dolby and HDMI.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom