How would you lower this ceiling/arch

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by 10crazyfists, Feb 2, 2014.

1. 10crazyfists

10crazyfists
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi

As you can see I've started wiring cat6 into my house. One of the problems I came to is where to route the cables from the understairs cupboard. I couldn't go directly up as its floorboards with no access to the landing to run wires.

So I had to come through the landing floor and across like so in the picture to the understairs cupboard.

I now want to lower the ceiling slightly and board it out. Which would be the best way to frame it? I'd like to make that curve more of a square shape. Plus leave room to add more cables in the future.

I will be pulling it down tomorrow and I expect a lot of old wiring and blocks of timber plus copper piping to come down with it! The cowboys seemed to come through here when it was council owned.

The electrician was a lazy arse as well.

[​IMG]

2. 10crazyfists

10crazyfists
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Been planning whilst on my way from work and I think I will frame out and drop the ceiling slightly. Do we have any chippies here who could give me an idea how to do it?

3. planetc

planetc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I put a new ceiling in my bathroom in a similar way, I battened it and plasterboarded to reduce my need to rely on my mediocre plastering skills. I just followed the original joists with some half inch timber. It's a lot of work for the sake of a few cables though.

4. Geps

Geps

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +181
    As above just batten it out and fix a board to it - will be alot clearer when you pull the existing plasterwork down.

If you can, cross batten it (new battens at 90 degrees to old ones) as it strengthens up the floor above.

5. 10crazyfists

10crazyfists
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's really do future cable runs also as the electrician has made a right pigs ear of the wiring so it will all be re done eventually when the extension is planned and in action. That way I will run cable through there and into another cupboard which will house all my gear fully in a tall server rack. This is just a retro fit for now as I will plan a structured cable run.

Going to get some timber tomorrow any recommendations on the type and size?

6. 10crazyfists

10crazyfists
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Had a bit of a lull today was going to take down the plaster and see where im going but my 4yr old has a fever so hacking the house today is off the cards. Got a plasterer coming to give me a quote on boarding and skimming the arch as well as the understairs cupboard when im finished. So far quoted £255 which I find far fetched as we had a bedroom boarded and skimmed for £500 which is 4x3m. Maybe prices have gone up that much I don't know. But hoping for a lower quote.

7. 10crazyfists

10crazyfists
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    It's not a huge ceiling it ends just past the light fitting. I hope to take the curve out and get it square as possible.