1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How would you link this stuff up?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Symey, Feb 3, 2005.

1. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

Got myself a week old hitachi 42pd4300 which im pretty happy with - sky images have not been fantastic with a profigold scart (any suggestions there?) but maybe it needs time to settle down?

Im in the middle of decorating but eventually will have a nice wall mount job (he hopes). at the mo my kit is literally spread around the floor next to the panel as ive been playing about with it all. I have the following equipment connected up and wondered if you would do things differently? Im not an expert yet so any critisim welcome:

The hitachi i have for anybody not familiar id the one with the external media box ( i wanted this to hide connections away easily), so....

Denon 500SD System - Component to Component, Just got denon havent unpacked speakers yet but shall i just go red/whit rca to red/white? for audio?

Sky + - Scart RGB to Scart RGB (worth investigating Scart to Component? No optical audio connector on media box though....

Xbox - Scart RGB

Linksys Media adaptor - SVHS\Red White audio

With the kit i have and the way its connected would you do things differently? Am i missing something i could be making more use of? Any way to get something out of optical audio?

Any advice appreciated - hope to put any suggestions to good use in the near future when my room is completed. Hope i havent embaressed myself too much with what i have said - like i said - im not an expert!

Many thanks

Sy :smoke:

2. wicket

wicket

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    If you can I would just connect the optical lead to Sky+ and the Denon but not if you are trying not to have any cables showing.

I just have phono connections between the tv and the Denon so I would recommend this the way to go. Don't know anything about your media box so please excuse me.

3. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you mean run an optical between the dvd nd sky? that will mean what exactly mate? will it mean i should do away with any cables anywhere else?

4. Eddy Boy

Eddy Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    It means that for audio from Sky you will only need an optical cable. The 500 will be able to decode any multi channel bradcasts you get this way.

You will still need the Scart from Sky to your TV.

What connectors do you have on your TV?
    For the scarts how many RGB ones do you have?

5. Symey

Symey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    got a component, 2 rgb scart, 1 composite scart, svhs, rca the usual other bits

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +89
    Symey,

You've got almost the same setup as me. I've got mine connected as follows:

Sky -> AV2 (RGB Scart) with IXOS fully shielded scart
    XBOX -> AV3 (RGB Scart)
    DVD Player -> AV4 (Component)
    Linksys Media Adapter -> Composite in on front of media box
    Arcam AVR300 Amp -> Svideo on front of media box

I don't use the supplied speakers so Sky (Optical), XBOX (Optical), DVD (Coax) and Media Adapter (Phono) all go directly to the Amp.

It is possible to get a very good picture with Sky but you have to play with the settings a bit. Make sure you've got the Sky box set to output RGB and also bear in mind that some of the lower bitrate channels will look crap no matter how hard you try.

HTH

John