How would you like to watch movies in the future?

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
discs will become a thing of the past

i think in the future i would like a streaming service which you can watch as many HD movies as you like for £10-£15 a month. because buying a downloaded movie is a ridiculous price at the moment and i wont pay £5 just to watch and individual movie rental.

things holding this up at the moment is braodband network isnt good enough yet and streaming services like lovefilm dont provide good enogh quality

I prefer disc's to remain as the source of my movie viewing.

requires less power and not reliant on a stable internet connection.

Also most streaming services are not as nice on the eye compared to bluray.

Also streaming has a high price due to the convenience factor.

I like to watch films in my own time and sometimes watch them multiple times, i don't want a you have x amount of hours left to watch this. I'm paying for it so i'll watch it when i want not when a streaming service dictates.

Which is why a physical copy will win hands down everytime for me

Last edited:
i think netflix is coming to uk next year i think remember reading somewhere you need an 8mbs connection for 1080p with surround sound streaming

Currently pay £2 per blu-ray from Lovefilm - would happily pay the same for a blu- or near-blu equivalent download rental. Wouldn't have to be instant streaming - happy to play an hour or so in advance.

shoestring25 said:
things holding this up at the moment is braodband network isnt good enough yet and streaming services like lovefilm dont provide good enogh quality

I have to disagree with this part, I find HD movie streaming via Xbox Live a revelation. Absolutely instant playback in very good quality, this is the future. I have to agree about the pricing model though, and that goes for all digital download services whether you're talking movies or games, they need to be cheaper than they are.

Last edited:
I'd quite like to have movies and TV shows pumped directly into my brain while I'm asleep

dannius said:
I have to disagree with this part, I find HD movie streaming via Xbox Live a revelation. Absolutely instant playback in very good quality, this is the future. I have to agree about the pricing model though, and that goes for all digital download services whether you're talking movies or games, they need to be cheaper than they are.

I always find Xbox downloads a bit , how can I put it ? Digitally . Not as smooth playing as a disc. Almost as if it's too sharp

would be very happy to pay to download and keep, top quality digital files of new release films...going to the cinema is a redundant viewing experience...

If they can stream 1080p with DTS HD-Master sound without delays, jumping, jerking then I may go for it.

Until then discs are my way to go.

Can't imagine it's that far off for those with decent broadband. It's already possible to stream a 1080p 10-12GB movie without any issues if you kick off the download maybe 30 minutes up-front (I'm told by some not-so-honest people).

discs will become a thing of the past

i think in the future i would like a streaming service which you can watch as many HD movies as you like for £10-£15 a month. because buying a downloaded movie is a ridiculous price at the moment and i wont pay £5 just to watch and individual movie rental.

You'll never be able to watch as many HD movies as you like in the future for £10-£15.

at that price no one would rent or buy, studios would make far less money leading to poorer quality movies.

directors/producers wont let there movies be streamed on a service as cheap £15 a month, thats why the ones on a lovefilm subscription are either a load of crap or quite old

> You'll never be able to watch as many HD movies as you like in the future for £10-£15.

Not sure what you mean here - you already can do that (via rental) - ? (for £13.27 to be exact)

On a serious note, whilst I don't want discs to disappear, as people like my mum, and brother for that matter, will likely never get to grips with streamers and media players, I'm more than happy to stick with file-based media. I rarely watch content from a disc now; I honestly can't remember the last time I did. Nowadays I'm far happier to have it all "on demand" so to speak using a media player (ATV1 with XBMC in my case) and play what I want when I want. Internet downloads are FAR more convenient for TV Show and Movie purchases and/or rentals than disc based media, but I agree the price needs to come down and the quality go up. Apple's movie rentals on ATV is really good; simple, clean, easy - but it's really not HD even tho they claim it is (I'm not sure how they claim it to be as it's less than 720p and most seems low bitrate it ends up looking only a bit better than DVD quality), and at best you get DD 5.1.

So when we can rent, reliably and easily, the same amount of content you can from say Blockbuster or wherever, in proper quality video and audio, for less than it costs now, thats when utopia will be achieved :D

No disc, no more films for me. I will never want to download. I will be very surprised if most people could stream Blu Ray quality in the future.

> You'll never be able to watch as many HD movies as you like in the future for £10-£15.

Not sure what you mean here - you already can do that (via rental) - ? (for £13.27 to be exact)

Not for download afaik as njdbaxter was talking about.

nwgarratt said:
Not for download afaik as njdbaxter was talking about

No, but what is the difference to the studios in terms of revenue?

njdbaxter said:
studios would make far less money leading to poorer quality movies

i.e. if I pay £15 per month to watch unlimited movies by post, or watch unlimited movies by download, what do they care?

No disc, no more films for me. I will never want to download.

Why? Even if the quality was the same? It's much quicker than waiting for Royal Mail to deliver it :)

wot you on about willis?

he was talking about streaming HD, where can you stream any movie in HD and as many as you like in a month for £13.27?

look at love film, the unlimited streaming for £9.99 is crap, I had it, the movies included were of poor streaming quality (like watching a 700mb DL movie or worse) and had been out for quite a while and were crap

Why? Even if the quality was the same? It's much quicker than waiting for Royal Mail to deliver it :)

Because I want something physical. I very doubt I will have the enough download speed anyway (currently on 1Mbps).

Downloads, for sure. If I buy a film I don't want to be restricted in how I watch it. No different to music - I want my music everywhere, without limitations, so I use downloaded digital music. Movies are no different, I want one copy that I can use everywhere, be it on my home AV, computer, laptop, mobile, tablet, anywhere I choose. Why should I be limited when I've paid good money to own a film? Sure, I can buy a disc and copy it but that takes time and the end result is the same - a digital copy of a movie.

The limitations in downloads can and will be fixed, namely bandwidth (UK broadband sucks as an average) and compression (which will improve as bandwidth and compression techniques do).

Why would I want a pile of plastic containers that I can only use with dedicated hardware, when I could free up that space, have the convenience of my content everywhere I go and get movies instantly?

No, but what is the difference to the studios in terms of revenue?

i.e. if I pay £15 per month to watch unlimited movies by post, or watch unlimited movies by download, what do they care?

why do you think all movies in the £9.99 steaming package are old and of very crap quality. all better quality and newer stuff has to be a rental or paid for, not streamed freely.

any £15 package like the OP stated would be only be certain movies, i.e old stuff, which studios etc are not making much from any more

why do you think all movies in the £9.99 steaming package are old and of very crap quality. all better quality and newer stuff has to be a rental or paid for, not streamed freely.

any £15 package like the OP stated would be only be certain movies, i.e old stuff, which studios etc are not making much from any more

The title of this thread states 'in the future'. In the future, do you really think studios will refuse to make their new and current content available for download streaming packages? That's quite a daft belief.

Just a few years ago something like Spotify - which allows a massive range of music to be streamed for free - would have seemed impossible. Now you can use it on your mobile phone.

Movies are behind in this regard, but they will catch up. They have to.

The title of this thread states 'in the future'. In the future, do you really think studios will refuse to make their new and current content available for download streaming packages? That's quite a daft belief.

Just a few years ago something like Spotify - which allows a massive range of music to be streamed for free - would have seemed impossible. Now you can use it on your mobile phone.

Movies are behind in this regard, but they will catch up. They have to.

ROB he said for £10 to £15 monthly sub, due to a newly released blu ray costing around £20, if new movies were made available for streaming packages then the cost would be stupidly high if studios dont want to go bankrupt

ROB he said for £10 to £15 monthly sub, due to a newly released blu ray costing around £20, if new movies were made available for streaming packages then the cost would be stupidly high if studios dont want to go bankrupt

I know I am missing something here, but if I can watch one blu-ray per day via rental for £15 (which I can, now, today), why wouldn't I be able to stream one HD film per day via a download (assuming the infrastructure is there).

How does it impact the studio's bottom line so much more??

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom