How would this work ?

S

spedhent

Just a thought, but how would a pair of B&W 604 S3's upfront, with a pair of B&W 602S3 above each one on speaker brackets sound like ? Would'nt this give a bigger soundstage ?

Scott_Mac

Distinguished Member
Err... i'd imagine it'd sound very odd, different dynamic range, different axis points firing at you, i'm also unsure how you'd connect it accurately to your source.

I'd buy some bigger speakers if you want a bigger soundstage....

S

spedhent

Do you have any idea if the B&W 604 S3's offer anything more than the 602 S3's apart from more bass ?

Would there be anything to gain in buying a pair of 604 S3's if you already have a good subwoofer i.e SVS

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Placing a pair of speakers above the main speakers (and fed with the same signal) would simply lift the apparent source and imagery up in the air. Exactly the same effect could be achieved (more cheaply) with tall speaker stands under the mains.

You'd also need a second power amp to feed the top speakers as the overall impedance would be halved if you drove them both off the main speaker amp. This would fry the amp at higher output levels.

If you have a decent subwoofer then you should be rolling off your speakers at 80Hz. Larger speakers would be largely wasted in this case.

I suspect you are unhappy with some aspect of your system. Do you have a BFD or SMS1 equalising your subwoofer? This might give you greater satisfaction than trying to compete with Dolby labs. :)

S

spedhent

Its not that I'm unhappy, I just wondered if there was anything to gain between the two speakers if I alrealdy have a good sub.

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Its not that I'm unhappy, I just wondered if there was anything to gain between the two speakers if I alrealdy have a good sub.

Not if you use an 80Hz crossover. The small extra bass extension (to lower frequencies) of the bigger speaker will be cut off by the AVR's crossover.

S

spedhent

I have heard though that some people set there front floorstand speakers to "Large" allowing both the subwoofer and main speakers to provide the bass. Is there any really advantage to this ?

Nimby

Distinguished Member
Not with a really capable subwoofer. Though it might work with small subs and speakers

A good subwoofer can usually play much lower and cleaner than most speakers.

The real answer is to try it and see if you like it.

You will probably get too much upper bass.

S

spedhent

I think I'll stick with the 602 S3's and a subwoofer.

Thanks for the advice.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom