How would this £6500 Set Up Sound?

K

kmhtkmhtkmht

I'm thinking about setting up a Arcam DiVA AVP700 AV Processor, Arcam DiVA P1000 Power Amp with a Pair of Anthony Gallo Reference 3 Speakers and the Anthony Gallo Reference SA (Power Amp) - how would this setup sound?

I only want a 2 speaker setup now, and apparently the "near omni-directional (300 degree) dispersion" will be enough to cover my room - I watch TV and movies every night...

I am very much so an amateur in all this AV stuff (other than my knowledge of DLP TVs from chatting about them) so would such a pricy setup be ideal to start me off?

A

av2diefor

It appears your Yamaha ear infection is on the mend.

Seems to be a major step up from the DSP1, could it sound bad for that sort of money?

kwijibo

Standard Member
it would probably sound great..

the "near omni-directional (300 degree) dispersion" will be bo**ocks though.

Ian J

Banned
Do I assume that as with previous threads you've started that you don't intend to audition any of the equipment but intend to spend £6,500 blindly and purely on the say so of people who might not have a clue what they are talking about or have a vested interest in parting you from your money.

I read elsewhere that people heard the Gallo Reference 3 speakers at the Bristol Show earlier this year and commented how wonderful they sounded. I heard them at the same show (with a friend) and we both thought that they were eminently ordinary and not worth the money. A Gallo dealer told me afterwards that they must have been poorly setup or the room acoustics were wrong as he didn't think that they sounded good at all and they were capable of so much more.

Hopefully that will go some way to explaining the importance of hearing the equipment yourself if the sound quality is actually important to you rather than just the appearance of the products.

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
I'm confused. Why do you need 2 power amps?

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Cable Monkey

The Anthony Gallo Reference3 loudspeakers are a Full Range design with a double voice coil in the LF.

Input a full range signal from your HiFi or AV Amp and the Reference3 go down to 34Hz (using a single LF coil per speaker).

If you then install and configure the Reference3 SA (Sub Amp) to the 'Sub In' binding posts on the speakers you drop the frequency range down to 22Hz; you need to use the Gallo SA amp to achieve this as it includes filters to ensure you drive the extra voice coil correctly.

It all works very well :)

See http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/ref3/reference-3.php

http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/ref-amp/sa-amp.php

Best regards

Joe

PS Anyone coming along to the Scottish Sound & Vision show next week (8-9 Oct 05) can see and hear the full Gallo Reference3 range - inc the SA and NEW Centre channel.

alexs2

kmhtkmhtkmht said:
I'm thinking about setting up a Arcam DiVA AVP700 AV Processor, Arcam DiVA P1000 Power Amp with a Pair of Anthony Gallo Reference 3 Speakers and the Anthony Gallo Reference SA (Power Amp) - how would this setup sound?

I am very much so an amateur in all this AV stuff (other than my knowledge of DLP TVs from chatting about them) so would such a pricy setup be ideal to start me off?
It should certainly be a big step up from your previous gear,but don't restrict yourself to this manufacturer alone...you really need to hear as many different systems as you possibly can,to avoid ending up with £6.5ks worth of gear that sounds awful(and it can be done,very easily).

Whilst the Gallo's are very nice,there are plenty of other manufacturers to try out,that may give you better results....listen first,and don't just spend on recommendations.

Cable Monkey

Novice Member
Joe Fernand said:
Hello Cable Monkey

The Anthony Gallo Reference3 loudspeakers are a Full Range design with a double voice coil in the LF.

Input a full range signal from your HiFi or AV Amp and the Reference3 go down to 34Hz (using a single LF coil per speaker).

If you then install and configure the Reference3 SA (Sub Amp) to the 'Sub In' binding posts on the speakers you drop the frequency range down to 22Hz; you need to use the Gallo SA amp to achieve this as it includes filters to ensure you drive the extra voice coil correctly.

It all works very well :)

See http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/ref3/reference-3.php

http://www.anthonygallo.co.uk/ref-amp/sa-amp.php

Best regards

Joe

PS Anyone coming along to the Scottish Sound & Vision show next week (8-9 Oct 05) can see and hear the full Gallo Reference3 range - inc the SA and NEW Centre channel.
I understand now. Sounds impressive. Question is how impressive will it sound? :D

Ed Selley

AVF Reviewer
As there is no cabling mentioned at any stage, my first answer would be "quiet."

D

dimitris2u

If you want to watch movies, this is definatelly the wrong way to go.
Do not forget that speakers require a space from the back walls, equal to the 1/4 of the wavelength of their lowest frequency, in order to avoid boundary interferance.
You will see that a setup with big speakers in a small room will not give you a flat frequency response. The room modes will determine how much bass you are going to have at your listening position, and not the size of your speakers, You can have 20'' sub, and because you sit where the 40HZ null, you have no 40hz at all!!!
The idea of crossovering your mains at 80Hz and getting subs allows you to move the subs and find the right place for them in your room.
A real time analyser will show you the response of your system at your listening position and will guide you, in order to position your subs. You do not have the ability to move the front speakers.
That is why they say big speakers are for big rooms, but they never explain why.
A calibrated system of £3000 will blow away a £10000 that was ''just placed'' in the room.
I do not want to put you off, but do not expect to get a smooth 20-20khz response from a full range speaker in a small room.
Dimitris

Top Bottom