How would an Oppo 205 fit in my system?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by dolofsson, Nov 13, 2017.

1. dolofsson

dolofsson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I posted this in the 205 owners thread with no luck - hope this is the correct forum part..!

Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my system with a Oppo 205.
    Today I'm on a low budget old Sony blu-ray player.
    Other components are 3.0 Kef r700 (r600c) - Onkyo Nr809 - Musical Fidelity M6SI - Sony HD TV - Appletv2 - TV-box/tuner - PS3 - Bluesound Node 1.

I'm also planning to upgrade tv to Sony Zd9 or 65A1.

My concern now - how would I set this all up?

From a stereo audio perspective - I'll go digital from Node (music streamer) to Oppo 205 - then XLR from 205 to M6si.

Other than that - I'm quite clueless...

Should I go hdmi from oppo to tv - and then send sound digitally from TV to Onkyo? (I have HT out on Onky so I can use the M6si for the 2ch front speakers).

Would this have any drawbacks? And where would I connect tv-box/appletv/ps3? To Onkyo or TV?

Would it better/possible to utilise the oppo more in any way except Bluesound audio streaming and cd playback?

Would be really thankful if you geniuses could help me sort this out before taking any purchase decisions.. :)

2. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    You will have to go HDMI from Oppo to the new TV for any 4K benefits.
    Use HDMI 2 out of the Oppo into the Onkyo for audio and have everything else connected to the Onkyo - so you will also need to have the Onkyo connected via HDMI to the TV for all other inputs to work.

Alternatively upgrade the Onkyo as well to a 4K & Atmos receiver and then have all inputs including the Oppo running into new AV Receiver and then to TV

3. dolofsson

dolofsson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for that explanation.

Ok - think Onkyo was prepped for 4k but maybe not sufficient? (Hdr?)

If I connect as you suggest, would the Oppo then be able to send audio via hdmi to Onkyo (for center) while simultaneously sending the front left/right via xlr to the M6si and thus front speakers? (During bluray playback.)

Edit: Nvm the second part, guess I just go completely hdmi out then and use preout onkyo/ht in on m6si for front speakers.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,542
    If you were going to make use of the UDP-205's advanced audio processing, high quality DAC and 'Pre-amp' capabilities you would use the 7.1 multi-channel analogue Outputs for Movies to the AVR and Integrated Amp plus the XLR stereo Outputs of the UDP-205 for Music to the Integrated Amp - essentially bypassing the audio processing in the Onkyo AVR.

If you are going to use HDMI for audio and retain your Bluesound Hi-res audio streamer it likely makes more sense to stick to the UDP-203 and use the difference in cost between the two Oppo players to upgrade other areas of the system.

Joe

5. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    Sorry, my mistake - yes the Onkyo will handle 4K so route the hdmi straight through it to make the connection to the tv simpler.

Keep your streamer into the Oppo to make use of the Dacs and then into the M6si

6. dolofsson

dolofsson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    How would I connect my other units for video then? Not enough inputs on 205 I guess?

7. dolofsson

dolofsson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Seems like the smoothest solution. Then I'd use Oppo audio capabilities for Bluesound and cd playback. (Worth 1500 usd compared to 203?! (Swedish prices.))

Would there be any quality downsides sending video via Onkyo instead of direct to TV? (Hdcp/hdmi version doesn't affect?)

8. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    there shouldn't be on pass through

9. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,542
    Onkyo TX-NR809 - are you sure this AVR can pass an HDCP 2.2 encrypted signal from a 4K UHD_ Player or Streamer?

OPPO UDP-205 - if you are retaining CD Playback, Hi-Rez audio streaming and DAC capabilities for Movies on your existing devices there is no obvious benefit vs. the UDP-203 as a Video Playback device.

OPPO UDP-205 - would you not use this as your CD Player and Hi-rez streaming device?

If you plan to go with the UDP-205 you would potentially use it as your UHD BD, BD, DVD SACD, DVD-A and CD Disc player along with Hi-rez audio streamer - your connectivity should be simpler than you envisage.

Joe

10. dolofsson

dolofsson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Not sure about this. Joe - I still need connect tv-tuner box. Oppo could replace jailbreaked atv2 though since I assume it can connect to nas andplay all common video formats?
    The obvious pros with 205 are cd playback and better dac than my current setup.

Wouldn't it be easiest to do like this:

Oppo hdmi to tv.
    Other hdmi to onkyo.
    Onkyo to 2nd tv hdmi.
    Digital audio from tv to onkyo.
    Music streamer digital to oppo.

Oppo xlr to m6si for cd playback and music streamer.
    Onkyo handles audio for it's own hdmi inputs.
    Onkyo handles audio via digital output from tv when playing bluray/video stream via Oppo, and when using netflix/apps on tv.

Would this be viable/configurable?

11. Andrew K

Andrew K
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    that works, with the hassle that you would change TV inputs depending on what you were using.

Unless you go with a more current AV Receiver then you could route all through it. Although the Onkyo passes through 4K things have moved on a little since it was released

12. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,542
    I’m still not clear on why you are considering the UDP-205 over the UDP-203!

VIDEO - the OPPO Players will produce the same video on your Display as any other 4K UHD disc player.

Audio - If you use the HDMI Out of the UDP-205 for your Movies you are then using the AVR DAC not the higher quality DAC in the OPPO, you can do the same with the UDP-203.

Hi-Rez Audio - if you use your current streamer via the OPPO you are ignoring the OPPO Hi-Rez audio playback capabilities.

I think someone suggested early on in the thread that the UDP-203 would be a great choice of 4K UHD disc player and retain all of your other Source devices for other formats and think about upgrading your AVR.

Joe

13. dolofsson

dolofsson
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Well, it's the hi-res audio - sending digital from bluesound, thus using dac and xlr out from oppo.

Guess I could use analogue out from oppo to Onkyo when playing movies to further take advantage of the 205 but main reason is stereo audio..

14. toddy28

toddy28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +686
    I do not believe the onkyo 809 has hdmi 2.2 so your best option is to connect the player directly to the tv for video and use the hdmi audio out from the player to the onkyo

This way you will get full 4k video with hdr / dv and full hd audio

Then connect the tv via arc back to the amp for the built in apps and any other 4k sources you have connected to the tv

I did this with my 808 when I got my 4k tv before I upgraded it and it worked perfectly ,

On a side note my uhd player hardly gets used now with Apple TV 4k as the quality is so good and as are the prices , sound could be better with atmos but it’s coming soon [emoji1303]