how will we know which Bluray movies to avoid?

richard plumb

are they marked with anything that warns you they are single layer with MPEG2, so you know to wash your hands after touching them?

When I have my PS3 I wouldn't want to pick up any rubbish discs. (might have a bit of a wait :devil: )

jon1

Novice Member
Richard plumb said:
are they marked with anything that warns you they are single layer with MPEG2, so you know to wash your hands after touching them?

When I have my PS3 I wouldn't want to pick up any rubbish discs. (might have a bit of a wait :devil: )
HTML:
Richard try avoiding all of them:D

rover2002

Novice Member

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
We'll they are all single layer MPEG2 at present. :( Once AVP or VC1 starts arriving we can look again at the format. Personally I am avoiding all BluRay releases, bar the five I've got, until we see new codecs in use.

The arrival of BD50 doesn't really excite me TBH - we'll get a few good (hopefully) releases but the majority of releases will still be single layer.

Uruloke

Evil Engineer said:
Boom Boom!

Didn't see that one coming.
It's true though, so far they're ALL single layer MPEG2 discs. :smashin:

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Praps by looking at the titles of the discs?
Missing the point craigizmo2k2. At present BluRay discs are only using single layer discs coupled with MPEG2. This not only means there is insufficient space for extras (not that many of us are concerned here) but the vast majority suffer from compression artifacts and for many Dolby Digital is the only soundtrack. :thumbsdow

Noggin1980

richard plumb said:

Its going to be at least November for the first dual layer 50GB disc. Personally I'd be surprised if all movies will be releaed on 50GB after that. I'm expecting just the long ones.

Hopefully though there should be some VC-1 discs from Warner or Paramount very shortly and I'm sure they would be exactly the same quality as HD-DVD.

I wouldn't be buying any Sony discs untill after November though, I can't see them being VC-1 quickly.

I think you will have to go with reviews to find out which disks have good picture quality though.

lfletcher

Well all the Warner releases so far have been pretty much equal to their HD-DVD counterparts (apart from the audio differences), so they're ok. We'll find out whether Paramount have used VC-1 pretty soon, same goes for Disney. Most, if not all Sony releases arent up to much which a few exceptions. Underworld, Ultraviolet, Benchwarmers and RV are the best of a bad bunch. Same with the Lions Gate titles, nothing really to sing and dance about there.

boksbox

richard plumb said:

If they have markings on them such as The Matrix give them a miss

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Well all the Warner releases so far have been pretty much equal to their HD-DVD counterparts (apart from the audio differences), so they're ok
That's not what the reviews are saying. Compare the Training Day HD DVD with the BluRay release. Worth reading the whole thing but:

Surprisingly, the differences between the two versions is substantial in more ways than one -- and unfortunately for the Blu-ray camp, though it is quite a close race, it ultimately doesn't go Blu-ray's way.
This is the general consensus found in all the comparison discs we have seen so far...

lfletcher

Well the "pretty much" statement was aimed at Training Day :D Heres the review http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/trainingday.html and their blurb

"In our first head-to-head comparison, we found the HD DVD to be superior, but only slightly."

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/kisskissbangbang.html

"With our second Blu-ray versus HD DVD battle on 'Kiss Kiss Bang Bang,' we again declare victory (although by a smaller margin) to the HD DVD version."

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/rumorhasit.html

"the two discs did bear noticeable differences, with the HD DVD boasting better detail and a more film-like look."

http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/goodnightandgoodluck.html

"But there is no doubt in my mind that both the HD DVD and Blu-ray releases deliver superb picture quality. Sure, neither soundtrack is that inspiring and the extras are rather undernourished. But at least in the case of this HD DVD versus Blu-ray comparison, no matter which format you choose, you'll come up a winner."

I'm all for sticking the boot in when they are crap, but so far Warners are the only movie studio to put out good quality releases on Blu Ray which are close if not equal to there HD-DVD counterparts.

Rasczak

Distinguished Member
Well the "pretty much" statement was aimed at Training Day
Well in which case I'll take the pretty much more substantial HD DVD version :smashin: I don't call a lower grade picture quality and removal of high quality audio tracks 'minor'. And neither do the reviews if you read both versions ;)

On the BluRay version you have Dolby Digital 5.1. Well great but the world has moved on - the HD DVD version gives Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1. Furthermore these are more comments relating to the difference in PQ:

The picture quality differences between the two transfers is often quite apparent. For example, during the very first shot of the film -- a zoom in on a red-hot, rising sun -- there was some posterization was visible on the Blu-ray, with the banding of colors obvious as the picture faded in.
Another difference between 'Training Day' on the two formats is that the Blu-ray transfer looks darker. Right from the opening scene when Ethan Hawke wakes up in his bed, the HD DVD exhibits an obvious (if far from extreme) brighter look.

lfletcher

Rasczak said:
Well in which case I'll take the pretty much more substantial HD DVD version :smashin: I don't call a lower grade picture quality and removal of high quality audio tracks 'minor'. And neither do the reviews if you read both versions ;)

On the BluRay version you have Dolby Digital 5.1. Well great but the world has moved on - the HD DVD version gives Dolby TrueHD and Dolby Digital-Plus 5.1. Furthermore these are more comments relating to the difference in PQ:
Yep, I'll take the HD-DVD as well :smashin: I'm pretty certain that no Blu Ray player can decode DD+ (maybe the Pansonic?) or Dolby TrueHD so if I'm looking to get some of the space I need regarding 25GB vs 30GB discs, the unusable soundtracks are the first thing to go.

With regards to the picture brightness issues which one is correct? Should it be darker or lighter? Are they both wrong? Also is this a player issue or a disc issue? I suppose we'll find out soon enough with Blu Ray, might be waiting a little longer before we have another HD-DVD player to check it on :devil:

Either way the orignal question was "what ones to avoid", not "which ones are better on HD-DVD". They are all better on HD-DVD, no argument from me.

MattDJ

Standard Member
Avoid anything by Lionsgate... Ive got Crash, Lord Or War and T2... and they all do something strange, like miss a frame on fast shots...

craigizmo2k2

Novice Member
Rasczak said:
Missing the point craigizmo2k2. At present BluRay discs are only using single layer discs coupled with MPEG2. This not only means there is insufficient space for extras (not that many of us are concerned here) but the vast majority suffer from compression artifacts and for many Dolby Digital is the only soundtrack. :thumbsdow
I know - I was just trying to be funny.. :devil:

I'll stay away :laugh:

Grubert

richard plumb said:

I'm keeping a consolidated hidef disc release calendar on AVS which lists the core specs for all titles, including the codec used and whether they are single or dual layer.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=665702

Trending threads

Latest threads

Top Bottom