1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How Will We Connect HD Equipment?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Rasczak, Aug 30, 2003.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    I know there is no UK High Definition 'standard' at the moment - and there is a variety of possible HD solutions, e.g. WMV, high bitrate MPEG2 etc. But what type of connections can support High Definition signals? Will we need PC style outputs/inputs or iLink or can such a signal be sent via "normal" type connections such as RGB Scart or Component?

2. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd think that it would probably an all digital connection like DVI or HDMI. But I'm always willing to be proved wrong:smoke:

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    I was only wondering on the basis that now many DVD players are starting to support Windows Media Video this could mean the start of the availability of HD content encoded using wmv (ala T2). Yet without appropriate outputs on players or inputs on screens - let alone screens actually capable of supporting HD (which I assume is going to be 1080i/50?) - it's all going to be a bit of waste isn't it?

4. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    This is one of the many questions yet to answered in the "we'll all have Hi-Def by January 2004 but nobody actually knows how" debate.

Paul

5. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Still not 100% sure what either of these are? I had a look at this Plasma FAQ:
    http://www.avsforumfaq.com/~plasma/#dvi

I get the basics of 'DVI' - is it a seperate and distinct thing from Firewire (iLink)? Or are they one and the same?

As for HDMI - is this the same as:
    http://www.avsforumfaq.com/~plasma/#hdcp

:confused:

Half suspected as much ;)

6. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    In my basic understanding, DVI is an all digital video only connection. I use DVI from my HTPC to my projector. This means that there are no digital to analogue conversions in the image I see.

Firewire is a different form of connection. It can be used to transfer any digital information such as audio bitstreams from one peice of kit to another. As far as I am aware, firewire has not been used to tranmit a video signal.

Cheers

Rob

7. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Hi Rob,

Firewire video connections are available on some Samsung STBs in the US to allow a digital connection to D-VHS VCRs. Hope this helps.

Steve

8. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +566
    Many DV camcorders have a firewire video output.

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    wm9 and mpeg are compression algorithms.

The likely scenario is that HD will be sent with some form of copyprotection either digitally or in analgue form.

Digital would likely be by HDMI/DVI or firewire
    Analogue by component YPrPb

As has been pointed out Firewire can carry dv. The JVC30,000 D-VHS unit that many of us use for D-Theatre and HD tape playback has a firewire input/output. There are some who use this to feed firewire to a suitable device to transcode to DVI to be sent to a scaler or display device.

Hope this is of some use. PS. If you're coming to Event 2 you'll be able to see HD coming from a firewire source ;)

Gordon

10. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Thanks for the replies guys - I'm going to be buying a new screen in the next 12 months so am just starting to look at the options and what I need to ensure I get to remain relatively 'future proof'.

I appreciate that - yet as I understand it Windows Media Video files (like DivX, MPEG4 files) are much more compressed than MPEG2 meaning you can fit high def content on a normal DVD disk. This would obviously mean a quick way of getting HD on disk given the new HiMAT players can play .wmv as standard. But only, presumably, if suitable connections exist for playback/outputting the signal.

Understand the digital connection now - cheers for that guys!

Just a quick question on analogue transmission - would this have to be output from "HD ready" equipment? I mean could you use a current HiMat player to play a disk with HD content in Windows Media Video format and output (via a component output) in HD to a source capable of receiving such? I assume this would need to be something that must be built into the design of the unit?

11. Pulsar

Pulsar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +292
    I stand corrected.:smoke:

12. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    HD via firewire looks superb on my system........ :)

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,257
    Is that from a JVC D-Theatre?

14. X3ELS

X3ELS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    Nope from a PC hard drive, via a JVC but without using tapes :)

As Gordon says it will be at event 2 :)

15. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Well, looks like we may have access to HDTV over the airwaves sooner than I thought :eek:

http://www.areadvd.de/news/2003/200308/25082003001.shtml

News from the DVD world (Babelfish Translation)

SMART: First SAT sAT-Receiver for HDTV
    01.09.2003 (ks)

With the SMART Imperator presents Wela electronics to one of the first HDTV suited SAT sAT-Receiver, how you are needed for the receipt of the European HDTV project "Euro1080". The exact HDTV abilities of the receivers the manufacturer gives still no further data. The technical features of the "Imperators", which is to come still before Christmas into the trade, sound however much promising: The HDTV Digitalreceiver possesses a twin twin-Tuner for the parallel use of Sat receipt and DVB t in only one equipment. A non removable disk makes possible in addition also for taking up on an integrated hard disk or the deferred looking of digital television. The receiver has a digital clay/tone exit, USB connection, an VGA interface and a "digital video exit", with which DVI is meant probably. Further features are 4,000 program memory places, favorite lists, EPG, own Teletext, a multilingual control guidance, picture in image representation, RAPS (receiver AUTOMATIC Programming system). A price for this equipment was not called yet.

Update: On the IFA exhibition booth the statements were related to the "Imperator" a little. The DVI exit was confirmed, but called as prospective sales start only June 2004. After the present conditions the "Imperator" is to cost approximately 400 EUR.

Regards,
    Paul

16. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Some more translated info ( from http://www.loehneysen.de/#212 ) and a piccie as well!

Smarte thing: the first HDTV hDTV-Receiver. Sometimes the things happen fast and unexpectedly. There one asks oneself whether and when any company can aufraffen itself and receiver for HDTV will manufacture. Finally Euro1080 wants (see messages of 27. 1. and 6. 6. 2003) on 1 January 2004 with the rule enterprise start. And then those flutters email in the p.o. box: Smart brings the Imperator? a HDTV receiver. One, which has it fist-thickly behind the front screen. Because it does not only receive the highly soluble television, it stores it also on the non removable disk. Completely like I had wished already some time ago it me (see premiere scenario of 13. 5. 2001). Then still a second tuner is in it, to one for Dvb t. Thus one is on the safe side, if a daily the PAL transmissions are switched off completely, like at the beginning of the monthly in Berlin. In order to bring the picture on projector or another large picture, a VGA socket is available. And a "digital video exit", whereby it can concern only DVI. That is all still many more beautiful than hoped for. A digital audio exit participates naturally also, there could one on Sunday even the play Bavaria against HSV life in 5.1 hear (24th 8th, 16,30 o'clock, unencrypted and in Dolby digital on premiere). The first presentation of the Imperators takes place on the radio exhibition, at the conditions of the Smart manufacturer Wela electronics in resounds to 2.1. There it must remain certainly unemployed, because Panasonic will organize no HDTV transmissions nevertheless there (the good man has IFA and IBC confounded). Hereby I explain Smart with immediate effect as my favourite company. (22. 8. 2003) Smart Imperator: A Hp DVB s hD-DVB-S-Receiver, if the expression is permitted? the receiver for HDTV transmissions over satellite. Non removable disk, DVI exit and a second receiver for Dvb t are on board. Distribution to the year end, price still unknown.
    Regards,
    Paul

Attached Files:

17. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    My, things are happening a lot today!

Euro 1080 just got updated - see the info here;

http://www.euro1080.tv/

Paul

18. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Promising isn't it.

Lets hope the BBC launch a channel on the 1080 satellite or summit like that.

19. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    This time its a Humax (big player in sat receivers). Its getting serious folks! (All info from http://www.areadvd.de )

Attached Files:

20. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +170
    Sourced from China but at least someone is taking HDTV seriously.

Genuine HDTV from the tube as alternative to pixel plus & CO: Chinese Konka P3611 with flatter 36 tariff tube, PAL/SECAM pAL/SECAM-Tuner, 3 x SCART, YUV and VGA. final selling price according to manufacturer between 1500 and 2000 EUR.

Attached Files:

21. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds promising!:cool: