• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How will i know if a hdmi switcher will work?

un1eash

Distinguished Member
I brought a cheap hdmi switcher of ebay like this one....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/5-Port-HDMI-S...ryZ32837QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thing is it doesnt work with my panny th-50pz70, x1950pro graphics card(dvi-hdmi) or ep-30. All i get is a blank screen. I'm getting a PS3 and Sky HD so need a hdmi switcher but how can i tell if one will work. I dont want to spend around £100 for a decent swticher for that not to work aswell.

Is there anyway to know or is it just luck because some hardware just doesnt work with certain switchers.

I'm thinking of getting a octava HDS5-UK but dont want to spend £140 on something that might not work.

Cheers

davepuma

Distinguished Member
I don't think you're the only person to have snags with "The only HDMI switch box to be approved by HDMI ATC lab". Does anyone know if that's actually true BTW!? It might be you just have a duff box and try and get another one. I use an oppo hm31 and it works a treat (3 in, 1 out) and is fully automatic v1.3 compliant and supports 1080p HDCP yada yada yada. I would rather buy from a proven brand that some unknown ebay special but that's just me. HDMI switching can be problematic, so I would rather pay a bit extra for the assurance it works and won't go bang a few months down the line and potentially damage my other av gear.

If you do a search you will find all sorts of threads listing gear that does work but I have yet to hear of anyone having problems with the likes of gefen, octava, zektor etc. etc.

henryv

Established Member
un1eash
I have had an Octavia 3 x 1 for a couple of years and it is excellent. It switches automatically and you get a remote control also - which I have never used.There is no reason why it should not work. Its job is to switch so switch it must!!
Buy one from somewhere where you can get a refund anyway.
I got mine from the Media Factory in Scotland. They are the official distributor for Octavia in the UK and i found them very helpful. Why not give them a ring if you are unsure?

http://www.tmfsolutions.co.uk/Octava.htm

Good luck,

Henry.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello un1eash

The Octava Switch gear is in and working with all manner of Source devices (inc. PC's).

Overall we find very few systems where the Octava Switch gear wont work - I'd like to say they will work 100% every time but that's a dangerous promise when HDMI/HDCP is involved.

Joe

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Well i got to tempted with with a bargain on ebay, ended winning a HDMI-410R switcher for £20 inc p&p, it works great so :thumbsup:

Thanks for your advice though.

K

KarmaMystic

Hi All, Here's a thing a year a go I bought a Panny 42PX60 and a matching DMR-EX75 then I got Sky HD then a HDD MediaPlayer and finally a PS3 - you see where I'm going, not enough HDMI's so I purchased a 3X1 HDMI switch similar to the one that un1eash/ebay one and it worked perfectly. Then I recently had the change to upgrade my Plasma to a 42PZ70 but to my disappointment, now, this faithful wee switch will only work with one device - HDD MediaPlayer which runs over a DVI to HDMI cable - I've even tried removing all devices and just connecting one at a time - But Nope.
Have also connected the switcher back up to my old 42PX60 just in case the box had suddenly went faulty but it worked fine.

It's a bit of a blow that an upgrade could render products obsolete, I thought that all new HDMI technology would be fully backward compatible.

I've wrote to Panasonic directly and will post there response.

Is there anyone out there running a similar setup with the same Panny Plasma that has a working HDMI Switch.

Cheers

:lease:Help!!!

K

KarmaMystic

Hi Guy's,

Just spoke to one of my friends that has an LG 32" he's tried five different HDMI switches including the same one as mine (link below) without success which is making me believe it's not a fault so much with the switch box more what's behind the HDMI connector on the specific TV.

Incidentally as DavePuma mentioned this switch is supposedly "The only HDMI switch box to be approved by HDMI ATC lab" and his LG TV was on there list of compatible TV's -

http://www.vivomounts.com/3_port_hdmi_switch_box_with_remote_control_and_3_pin_uk_ac_adaptor.asp

Who do you believe??? :eek:

vraiceater

Standard Member
Hi All, Here's a thing a year a go I bought a Panny 42PX60 and a matching DMR-EX75 then I got Sky HD then a HDD MediaPlayer and finally a PS3 - you see where I'm going, not enough HDMI's so I purchased a 3X1 HDMI switch similar to the one that un1eash/ebay one and it worked perfectly. Then I recently had the change to upgrade my Plasma to a 42PZ70 but to my disappointment, now, this faithful wee switch will only work with one device - HDD MediaPlayer which runs over a DVI to HDMI cable - I've even tried removing all devices and just connecting one at a time - But Nope.
Have also connected the switcher back up to my old 42PX60 just in case the box had suddenly went faulty but it worked fine.

It's a bit of a blow that an upgrade could render products obsolete, I thought that all new HDMI technology would be fully backward compatible.

I've wrote to Panasonic directly and will post there response.

Is there anyone out there running a similar setup with the same Panny Plasma that has a working HDMI Switch.

Cheers

:lease:Help!!!

Hi

I have a PZ70, TVix media player, EP30 and Sky HD connected via a Chinese made 5 way hdmi switch (the "only" one to be passed by HDMI labs etc...) and have exactly the same results as you i.e. the only source that works is the media player connected via a DVI/HDMI converter. Research has led me to believe that the cheapest quality HDMI switch that will most likely work is the OPPO version. I have ordered this unit directly from Sweden (£67 incl postage) and will let you know the outcome.
HDMI switching is a whole new can of worms and definitely not as "transparent" or as straightforward as switching ye old Scart plugs. If possible I would recommend anybody else to have actual proof that their setup will work with a particular HDMI switch before parting with any money.

Regards

un1eash

Distinguished Member
It does seem to be a real gamble when it comes to cheap switchers, mine works fine with my ep30 but does cause a little interference with my pc which has a 5m hdmi cable so i keep that plugged direct into the tv. Only time will tell if it will work with sky hd and ps3.

vraiceater

Standard Member
As promised I said I would post info when I received the Oppo Switch. I'm happy to say that all inputs (Toshiba EP30, Sky HD and TVix) work faultlessly into the PZ70. What a nice little unit, the auto switching in conjunction with I/P 1 priority almost makes the remote redundant. I really recommend this unit, don't make the same mistake as me and buy one of the cheap Chinese units. They're cheap for a reason, I might even put it back on Ebay.....

louisg

Prominent Member
yes i have a vivo from the seller on ebay its useless and this is my second switcher, that didnt work.

Louis

Apone

Prominent Member
I have purchased and am using the Oppo HM31, 3 in 1 out hdmi switcher.
I purchased it from www.crtprojectors.co.uk. Cost me 67.99 which i feel is reasonable considering what it does and how flexible it is. I am sure you could get more inputs with a cheaper cost but not with as much flexibilty imo.

Link http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/oppo_dvd.htm#hm_31

Also remember that most of us are buying these units because either we don't have enough inputs on our displays or we don't have any/enough inputs on our amps/receivers. However your next purchase of an amp/receiver will probably have HDMI inputs built in and along with the switcher you purchased in the past should see you through for a while.

I nearly went for an amp but when i sat down to assess what i really wanted to do, the switcher fits the bill. When funds are more 'healthy' then i will get an amp but i am happy with what i have at present. Again i did not want to spend too much as i know i will have HDMI later on and have no issues (hopefully) with not having enough inputs.

The Oppo is certainly not cheap but you do get what you pay for. I don't know of any cheaper HDMI switch that gives you all the facilities it has along side RS232 protocols for the custom install market. It has a remote but if you are clever with what source you want have as a priority you will not need to use it.

D

Deleted member 171211

I have purchased and am using the Oppo HM31, 3 in 1 out hdmi switcher.

It has a remote but if you are clever with what source you want have as a priority you will not need to use it.

So are you saying it acts as an automatic switcher? I'd be using one as a switcher for an XBox 360 and an HD-DVD player (so only one would be active at once), with the output going into my Amp (which only has 2 HDMI inputs, Sky HD has nabbed the other one). Ideally, I don't want to add another remote into the equation if I can avoid it.

Cheers,
Stephen

davepuma

Distinguished Member
The HM31 is fully automatic so if it detects an input, it automatically switches to that one. If both inputs are active, it defaults to no.1. There is no need to use the remote.

Apone

Prominent Member
So are you saying it acts as an automatic switcher? I'd be using one as a switcher for an XBox 360 and an HD-DVD player (so only one would be active at once), with the output going into my Amp (which only has 2 HDMI inputs, Sky HD has nabbed the other one). Ideally, I don't want to add another remote into the equation if I can avoid it.

Cheers,
Stephen

Absolutely correct. The Oppo will automatically switch to the input in order of priority. 1 being the highest and so on. If you are using the x box more than the hd dvd player then plug that into port 1. As only one input will be active at a time then i guess even doing that is not needed.

So just plug both into the Oppo and it will take care of the rest. Even though it has an infrared remote, it also has front switches to manually select an input if desired.

I have mine hidden away unfortunately and cannot see it but it does the job for me. I have a Blu Ray HTPC connected to port 1 and a HDMI equipped dvd player connected to port 2.

If for example i had a dvdrecorder and was recordng a tv channel and then fired up the pc, the Oppo would switch inputs to the BD HTPC straight away knowing that the HTPC has priority. If however another member of my family was using the HTPC to surf and i wanted to watch dvd, then i would just manually select port 2 by remote or the unit itself if accessible. If the Oppo was not accessible (because it was behind an eq rack fr example) i can just add an IR receiver and position that near the screen and use the remote. It is really really flexible in how you use it.

Hell it even 'looks' the business. (Can you tell that I like it?:thumbsup:)

Like i said earlier, it is on the slightly expensive side but you get what you pay for.

D

Deleted member 171211

Thanks guys, the order is in for one. :smashin:

I'll plug the Sky HD into one HDMI input on the Amp and plug the switcher into the other. Into the switcher will go the Xbox 360 and my HD-DVD player (can't imagine me having both on at the same time, could imagine me having Sky and one of those on if I was flicking back and forth), which leaves me a spare HDMI socket for future use.

Thanks again,
Stephen

Broadsword

Prominent Member
I had an Oppo delivered today and Im using SkyHD and a HD DVD player into an Onkyo 674 Amp. Im having real problems with it not actually displaying things once activities have been switched.

The Oppo switches as it should, but either the amp or the TV isn't reflecting the switch. A quick on and off of skyHD sorts it.

Will have to have a think about this but so far, thumbs down for the oppo.

Which is the best way to turn on these devices? Switch first, then amp then source device?

One solution is to send the SkyHD through the amp direct and ignore the switch but its hardly ideal.

For the record, I have skyHD into port 3 on the switch and my EP30 into port 2, port 3 will be for my istar Mini when it arrives.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hello Broadsword

Once you combine Source + Switch + Repeater (AV Amp) + Display you have all manner of potential HDCP problems.

Display > Repeater > Switch > Source would be best.

Joe

Apone

Prominent Member
I had an Oppo delivered today and Im using SkyHD and a HD DVD player into an Onkyo 674 Amp. Im having real problems with it not actually displaying things once activities have been switched.

The Oppo switches as it should, but either the amp or the TV isn't reflecting the switch. A quick on and off of skyHD sorts it.

Will have to have a think about this but so far, thumbs down for the oppo.

Which is the best way to turn on these devices? Switch first, then amp then source device?

One solution is to send the SkyHD through the amp direct and ignore the switch but its hardly ideal.

For the record, I have skyHD into port 3 on the switch and my EP30 into port 2, port 3 will be for my istar Mini when it arrives.

On page 6 of the manual it mentions about some electronics gear still having an 'active' HDMI output even when switched off. (Is the blue light on all the time when evrything is off?) In this case connect the item with an active output into port 3, according to the manual. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, are you using port 1?

Broadsword

Prominent Member
Hello Broadsword

Once you combine Source + Switch + Repeater (AV Amp) + Display you have all manner of potential HDCP problems.

Display > Repeater > Switch > Source would be best.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I had the TV turning on last, Ive since switched it to first and it now seems to work.

I didn't mention I was using a harmony, sometimes it can be difficult to set up what to turn on first etc.

Anyway thumbs up again for the Oppo. Its a nice small nifty little unit aswell.

Broadsword

Prominent Member
On page 6 of the manual it mentions about some electronics gear still having an 'active' HDMI output even when switched off. (Is the blue light on all the time when evrything is off?) In this case connect the item with an active output into port 3, according to the manual. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, are you using port 1?

Yeah if you read my post again you may find that info already in there. :D

But as said, switching the TV on first in all my harmony activities seems to have sorted it. It must be that if it doesn't connect with the swich first time it turns on it never will until you turn it off and back on.

Apone

Prominent Member
:rotfl::rotfl: My bad, glad you got it sorted. Welcome to the OPPO CLUB!!

S

shirks

un1eash
KarmaMystic
vraiceater
louisg

Im with all you with a 42PZ70B and same 4-1 HDMI switch. Tried PC, PS3, EP35 and you all know blackscreen comes on but no feed. Tried HDMI 1 & 2 and different inputs and nothing. So got it swapped over and what happened the same bar tried it in work on a TX26LMD70 and Pana DVD Recorder. And thought I try something silly. SCPTX5 - Vivo HDMI- SAXR700-TH42PZ700 and worked perfectly no messing just worked.

So I've come to a conclusion that it's simply not compatible with any 2007 range Panasonic TV. But vivo lists them on there website, which is why I asked for refund as my tv was listed.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom