1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How will HD effect me

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Mickey123, Jul 23, 2005.

1. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am the proud owner of a Panny 42PWD6.
    I love it, its more than we could ever need.

I think people can get too up on whats out next (IE HD and PS3's etc etc) and not enjoy what they have.

Anyhow, how will HD effect me and my pride and joy:) We mainly use our plasma for console games and DVD.

Mickey

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    HD will not effect you in anyway unless you let it:)

Your plasma will be quite content to accept the current range of SD sources which are not going anywhere and the next gen consoles will output a signal that is useable with your panel.

Now the question is do you want HD broadcast television, HD pre-recorded media and HD consoles? If not then have no worries your current panel will serve you well for many years and when the time comes to replace it then a HD solution will be almost a no-brainer thanks the the ever decreasing costs and improvments in the technology.

3. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    hi starburst.

Ill probs end up with a PS3 (playstation 3) that will out put to HD.

Im taking it it will display DVDs from its internal drive at HD too.

Will it still be ok SD???

Many thanks for your fast reply

Mickey

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +979
    I am not sure if the PS3 will allow HD output from games on anything less than HDMI although since content protection is probably not a big issue you would think component via the multiout socket would be an option.
    Of course to make the most of the HD games you need a HD panel.

The PS3 will play DVD (at least according to the spec I have seen) but I do not know if there is any inbuilt scaling hardware to boost the resolution upto HD standards.

You should have no problems using a PS3 on a SD panel, even without HD output the next gen games will still be far better than the current range and of course the PS3 will play PS2 and PS1 games.

5. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    thanks starburst.

Thats me sticking with SD for around five years then.

I spent me whole youth chasing things that were out next and not enjoying what I had. Then when I finally got the next thing out i wanted the thing after that.

Well Im 32 now and ive changed allot. Ill update when there is a good enough reason to do so (or when i win the lotto) :)

Thanks again for your help.

Mickey

6. trevperks

trevperks
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi mickey123 :hiya:

you are not on your own with that statement.
    I have just changed my old crt tv for a dlp . although it plays hd I wont need this feature until sky have it all sorted out

When the ps3 comes out I will wait for the price to drop instead of rushing in and buying straight away. The temptation will be there but looking back at how much these consoles drop in price it will be sensible to wait ( hope I don't have to wait too long :( ) Like you said the kit we already have is fantastic!
    why chase after the next thing when it will come to you for half the price :thumbsup:

7. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    You have to remember one thing about plasmas. They burn if you leave a static image on screen for too long, so if you are going to play games on that screen be very carefull and dont play for too many hours at one time.

The reason why I singled out games is because RPGs and other such games will usually have static images like the characters name or stats.
    Movies and TV dont have that coz the image is constatnly changing. (although TV channels do have watermarks that can burn in over time)

As long as you take this into account your plasma will serve you well for a long time!

I know mine has!

8. Mickey123

Mickey123

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Trev.

I am looking forward to the release of the PS3 as well. However, amongst all the hype and previews on the net it is just a machine!! Nothing more!!
    You have to put a game or DVD into it for it to do anything at all except look good.

It is the games we should be looking forward to and not the machine they play on, everyone seems to be missing this point.

On the note of games - when did graphics and raw cpu power that the xbox360 and ps3 have in massive amounts ever mean more than just gameplay alone?
    EG- I have some fantastic games for my gameboy advance and amiga and snes and mega drive and the graphics are by xbox/ps2/gc standard, noithing more than utter crap:) Still great games though and still highly addictive and playable to this day.

On your point of waiting for the price drop i agree. They seem to drop to two thirds of the initial launch price 6 months on. Also another good reson for waiting is the first consols are more prone to bugs (remember the ps2 launch?) and there's not much in the way of games until 6 months goes over.

All the above said if they were out today id be more than interested:)

MOD - can this thread please be changed to a consol thread if poss as thats the direction were going now and starburst has taught me everything i needed to know - many thanks

@AML thanks for the tip fella. My games tend to be more driving and fast paced etc thank RPG. Hey if i burn the screen ill have my reason to upgrade to HD:):):)

Mickey

9. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    You know, I did burn my old SD plasma and got all my money back coz I told them I had no idea about screen buring! :devil:

I used the money to buy an even bigger HD plasma! :thumbsup:

Think if it this way: If they are going to try to shaft us by selling us cheap SD panels (LCD, Plasma) making us think they will work with an HD signal, well we just have to shaft them back in some other way!

Once you get a years use out of it, burn it and claim you didnt know!

The shop where I bought mine didnt bother to warn me, even though I already knew. Its their own fault!