1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How will an alcove effect a rear ported bass?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Spiderkid, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Spiderkid

Spiderkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    I'm considering a few choices for some new standmount speakers for my living room (Wharfedale Diamond 8.1 @ £65, TDL KV1 @ 100 or Wharfedale Evo 8 @ £149) and the TDL's have a rear ported bass. The trouble is that the only place I can position the speakers is tucked just inside either side of a large alcove in the centre of our room. (S= Speaker)

.....___________
    ___|S............S|____

The front of the speaker would be well clear of the outside wall and there should be a 30cm gap between the back of the speaker and the alcove wall, but obviously the bass will be firing into a corner. Is this ok or will it confuse the sound? I'm aware that lower frequencies are 'non-directional' but I just wanted to know if I should avoid a rear ported bass in this set up?

Thanks Tom.

2. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    You may find that the alcove gives an unwanted tuning effect, and many speaker manufacturers provide a foam "bung" for the port to act as a dampener in these situations.

3. Spiderkid

Spiderkid

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +126
    Thanks for that advice Nick. Would the foam bung reduce the overall performance of the bass or just change it?

I guess my question is, should I bother with rear ported bass in this set up if I can get equally good front ported bass?

Cheers again

Tom