How will a speaker perform at 25W and 50W?

Xionor

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking at getting the Roland CM-220 2.1 monitor system. It's got 2 monitors powered by an amp inside a subwoofer. Roland have 2 variants of the system; one with Rated Power Output of 25W per satellite and a more expensive one which is rated at 50W per satellite.

The satellites in both version are the exact same 4" satellites with Rated Power Output of 50W/4Ohm MAX, so the one in the cheaper system is, I assume, simply being supplied less power by a weaker amp.

Given the satellites are absolutely identical do the additional 25W even make any sort audible difference in loudness or performance?
Will the 50W supply will mean they'll start clipping a lot later on the volume button or what is the point of it?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hi,
Will the 50W supply will mean they'll start clipping a lot later on the volume button or what is the point of it?

Pretty much, yes. The speakers should have more headroom and go louder without sounding strained or as you said, clipping may occur at much later point. However more power is not always about how loud will it go but can provide the speakers with more open and punchier sound and perhaps even less listening fatigue. The quality of the supplied power takes precedence over number of watts though as watts are usually a guideline at best.

Still, I'd always choose having more power over having less power, providing both items are identical but I'm not exactly an expert so maybe someone more knowledgable will correct me

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom