Quantcast

How well does the Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 hold up?

SirSwede

Standard Member
How well does the Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090 hold up/stand today?

How much should you pay for it used (without a stand)?

I need to buy a stand as well, because all the ones that I have seen is without. The stand itself is about £/$ 160.

Swiss Tony

Banned
Not sure why you would want one? Sure they are built like tanks, but you are talking about what, an 8 year old+ TV? Which in TV terms, is archaic. If you are after a plasma, perhaps look for a Panny VT/ZT - better picture quality, more modern looking, wifi and Smart tech, and perhaps only 4 years old.

GMAN40

The Pioneer Plasmas were the very best in there field, yes we’re talking about an 8 year old tv, which some view as archaic, because there not smart tv etc, I thought the purpose of having a tv was to get the best possible picture?
If your after smart features surely there’s a tablet for that?
If your after the best possible picture you can’t go wrong with a Pioneer plasma.

Swiss Tony

Banned
The Pioneer Plasmas were the very best in there field, yes we’re talking about an 8 year old tv, which some view as archaic, because there not smart tv etc, I thought the purpose of having a tv was to get the best possible picture?
If your after smart features surely there’s a tablet for that?
If your after the best possible picture you can’t go wrong with a Pioneer plasma.
But the thing is, they are not the best. The 2013 Pannys easily equalled them for picture quality, and many independent reviewers say even bettered the Pioneers.

So you can have the best picture, a newer TV, and smart features.

GMAN40

Hi Swiss Tony,
Let’s not forget Pioneer stopped making plasmas in March09, your quoting Panasonic sets from 2013, which were pioneer technology with a Panasonic badge, because the pioneer engineers joined them in June 09, and it took Panasonic over 4 years to match the tech from the 9th generation plasmas, let alone exceed it.

The Pioneer sets set the bench mark on picture quality, by which all newer sets were judged by. That’s a well known fact.

I still use my Pioneer sets to this day, mine are the 500/600M which are fully calibrated and connect amazon prime/ Netflix/Sky and have the best possible picture, for me that’s more than enough smart features.

I have friends who have upgraded there Kuro’s and have regretted it, buying into the latest tv’s, and having mixed results.

I won’t be upgrading into newer tv’s any time soon as my 1080P is fine by me, as there still isn’t enough 4K content out there.

I am curious i am guessing you’ve got a Panasonic plasma?

Thx
GMAN40

Inferno

Distinguished Member
The 2009 Panasonics got close to the KRP and 500M but DID NOT exceed them at all, the KRP'S and 500M'S remain and will never ever be beaten by any other PLASMA unless someone else starts to make them again which is extremely doubtful, I even agree with Gman and that is even more rare!

generalgizmo

SirSwede I still got my 5090 and krp600 and only things I've seen that I would replace it with is the panny oled 952 as its very plasma like but deeper black and detail then its alot of £s..
Kuro is old but picture is great and tv is reliable and can be tweaked to kill off red tint.. to this day it's still the best outlay I've spent on any electrical appliance ....9 yrs old and still going strong.. never missed a beat.. (touch wood)
The vt65 and zt are great too but never felt that the picture was that much of a leap ahead of what I had apart from the smart features.. if I never had a kuro then I would have snapped one up in a heartbeat.. then again even now if I had a few hundred to spend on a tv a 2nd hand 9g kuro or last gen panny plasma would be at the forefront as feel you'd have to spend a lot of money to get the same natural picture quality...

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
For an old small plasma like that you shouldn’t pay more than £100. Yeah they were good in their day, but that time has gone, they’ve been superceded.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
For an old small plasma like that you shouldn’t pay more than £100. Yeah they were good in their day, but that time has gone, they’ve been superceded.
In what way apart from slightly and I mean slightly better black over mine, 0.000 over 0.001, and mine has better motion handling, they have a little better colour reproduction due to the CMS and apart from that NOTHING, apart from other problems as well, not worth the extra lolly to upgrade (if that's what you call it :laugh:) yet not until they sort it out.

mb3195

But the thing is, they are not the best. The 2013 Pannys easily equalled them for picture quality, and many independent reviewers say even bettered the Pioneers.

So you can have the best picture, a newer TV, and smart features.
No they’re not. I’ve owned both (still own a ZT). The pioneers are a better TV in terms of picture quality. They also suffered zero screen burn whereas the pannys do pretty badly.

Swiss Tony

Banned
Hi Swiss Tony,
Let’s not forget Pioneer stopped making plasmas in March09, your quoting Panasonic sets from 2013, which were pioneer technology with a Panasonic badge, because the pioneer engineers joined them in June 09, and it took Panasonic over 4 years to match the tech from the 9th generation plasmas, let alone exceed it.

The Pioneer sets set the bench mark on picture quality, by which all newer sets were judged by. That’s a well known fact.

I still use my Pioneer sets to this day, mine are the 500/600M which are fully calibrated and connect amazon prime/ Netflix/Sky and have the best possible picture, for me that’s more than enough smart features.

I have friends who have upgraded there Kuro’s and have regretted it, buying into the latest tv’s, and having mixed results.

I won’t be upgrading into newer tv’s any time soon as my 1080P is fine by me, as there still isn’t enough 4K content out there.

I am curious i am guessing you’ve got a Panasonic plasma?

Thx
GMAN40
Yes, but that't the point I was making. The Pannys are both newer and better. Sure it took them a long time and some ex-Pioneer engineers to achieve it, but achieve it they did. Which makes them a better 2nd hand buy.

I have a VT 65.

No they’re not. I’ve owned both (still own a ZT). The pioneers are a better TV in terms of picture quality. They also suffered zero screen burn whereas the pannys do pretty badly.
Well, so have I. It's subjective of course, but I think most independent reviewers agreed that the 2013 Pannys shaded the Kuro in terms of image quality.

The only way to tell however is to see them side by side, both professionally calibrated. Which I have, at an independent shootout. Very close, no doubt, to me it came down to personal preference. Personally, I preferred the slightly sharper Panny picture.

But anyone saying that the Pioneers were better has evidently not done a side by side comparison. Screen burn is a side issue. Yes the Panny's are more prone to it, but with careful running in with slides, calibration and basic common sense it's easily avoided.

mb3195

Yes, but that't the point I was making. The Pannys are both newer and better. Sure it took them a long time and some ex-Pioneer engineers to achieve it, but achieve it they did. Which makes them a better 2nd hand buy.

I have a VT 65.

Well, so have I. It's subjective of course, but I think most independent reviewers agreed that the 2013 Pannys shaded the Kuro in terms of image quality.

The only way to tell however is to see them side by side, both professionally calibrated. Which I have, at an independent shootout. Very close, no doubt, to me it came down to personal preference. Personally, I preferred the slightly sharper Panny picture.

But anyone saying that the Pioneers were better has evidently not done a side by side comparison. Screen burn is a side issue. Yes the Panny's are more prone to it, but with careful running in with slides, calibration and basic common sense it's easily avoided.
You’re right, they’re really isn’t much in it and you’re also right when you say it’s subjective.

I’ve had both of mine professionally calibrated. It’s a tough call, especially when you are comparing apples with oranges as we are, as the screen sizes are different to their compatible models.

The pioneers were definitely more bomb proof in their design, even the sheer weight of them gives this impression.

The original poster asked if they were still a good buy. The simple answer is that you won’t get a better value plasma (or any other screen for that matter) going by their second hand prices on here, so in that sense yes they are, a very good buy in fact.

In terms of all the smart functionality that the Panasonic’s do over the pioneers, well i don’t even use mine, I use a separate source for smart TV as it’s clearly better.

Would I swap my ZT for a pioneer? No I wouldn’t, but not due to smart functionality or picture quality, it would purely be down to design of the actual screen itself, the ZT is a much better looking tv.

And regarding screen burn, unfortunately with the amount of logos on tv channels these days, sometimes that’s unavoidable.

P.S I owned a pioneer AND a ZT at the same time.

generalgizmo

Personally I don't think you can go wrong with either for picture quality especially in a darkened room, and for the cost compared to a new screen.. which isn't perfect either..
Some may call me a fool but because I'm so use to plasma picture I would prefer to buy a 2nd hand tv kuro or vt/ for a few hundred over a new £1000 tv

John Simon

I love both the Pioneer and the Panasonic’s equally, I also love the fact that I can turn the radiator off in the room after 10 minutes

Inferno

Distinguished Member
I have done a side by side comparison with a VT a ZT an LX and a KRP with one of them Samsung F8500's and some Sony 84" UHD job all professionally calibrated by Canary Jules and guess what, well it wasn't the Panasonic that had the most votes, so I think I am qualified in what I say even though you seem to be ignoring my comments!

I own a KRP and a Panasonic and the Panasonic is terrible with IR it's absolutely chronic with it and Line Bleed is poor as well, neither are an issue with the KRP, Panasonic got close but no cigar I am afraid to say, even with some of the Pioneer engineers.

Have you even seen a KRP or was it only LX'S your going by?

generalgizmo

I have done a side by side comparison with a VT a ZT an LX and a KRP with one of them Samsung F8500's and some Sony 84" UHD job all professionally calibrated by Canary Jules and guess what, well it wasn't the Panasonic that had the most votes, so I think I am qualified in what I say even though you seem to be ignoring my comments!

I own a KRP and a Panasonic and the Panasonic is terrible with IR it's absolutely chronic with it and Line Bleed is poor as well, neither are an issue with the KRP, Panasonic got close but no cigar I am afraid to say, even with some of the Pioneer engineers.

I remembered seeing the zt65 and thought it was very good only tv up till then better than my 5090.. (a time prior to acquiring my krp) and 2 shops I went into the guys said how good the vt/zt was in case I wanted it but after I said had a kuro.. under their breath told me not to get rid of the Pioneer and he'd happily take it off of my hands.

button_sw

I still use two 500A's at home calibrated by a reference profiled meter and the picture quality is easily still one of the best even in 2017!

I use an Amazon Fire Stick for "Smart" features and I can honestly say I have not once felt the need to upgrade to a new TV and spend ££££'s.

The picture fidelity is fantastic and feed it a 4K source and you would be amazed at the quality that the KRP can produce.

Remember that there are different quality Kuro's, the 5090 will not be as good as the KRP500's

Swiss Tony

Banned

I think you are in danger of tipping over into fanboyism. I have seen a calibrated KRP immediately adjacent to a ZT, and acknowledge that both produced great images, with subjectivity and the perception of the ZT being slightly sharper giving me a preference towards the Panny. As per mb3195 above, I also prefer the more modern design of the Panny, being a much more slimline, one sheet of glass design.

Line bleed? Yes, but I only see it on film credits, so it's not an issue. IR? No, not had a problem with mine at all, I can run say Sky News or Sports for several hours without problem. Perhaps you have been unlucky, perhaps you did not run it in properly.

Both are great TVs, but as the topic is buying second hand, the advantages of a newer Panny are clear.

Inferno

Distinguished Member
It was run in for 100 hours, it's a bit funny that there seems to be lots and lots of Panasonic owners who claim to have bad IR, line bleed even on credits it too much line bleed afaic.

It's not fanboyisim at all it's just the truth, so the VT or ZT or what it is you have is a prettier looking screen when it's off, but it's not when it's on so sorry about that, you disagree that's fine, you have your opinion, pity it's wrong :devil: :laugh:.

generalgizmo

SirSwede...
As you can see some prefer the kuros some prefer the Panasonic but end of day depends what you want tv for movies.. gaming or sports... I haven't had a panny but it looked more than impressive enough in store.. I have used my kuros for movies and sports General tv etc and very rare gaming as I prefer my mame arcade machine for the classics... no problems with motion or stutter very smooth great picture deep blacks natural colours etc.. films are cinematic..As said you could pay alot more for a tv and have flaws... not sure what you currently have but if I didn't have my kuro whether my krp600 or 5090 and say a vt65 or 5090 came up for a couple hundred I'd be all over it like a vulture on a corpse...:rolleyes:

Swiss Tony

Banned
It was run in for 100 hours, it's a bit funny that there seems to be lots and lots of Panasonic owners who claim to have bad IR, line bleed even on credits it too much line bleed afaic.

It's not fanboyisim at all it's just the truth, so the VT or ZT or what it is you have is a prettier looking screen when it's off, but it's not when it's on so sorry about that, you disagree that's fine, you have your opinion, pity it's wrong :devil: :laugh:.
Sorry if I touched a nerve there, inferno.But the thing about opinions (other than everyone has got one), is that by definition, they cannot be wrong, only different.

I respect your opinion that the KRP is "better" than a Panny ZT/VT, but I disagree with it. That doesn't however make my opinion right, anymore than yours does. No need for the antagonism, it's just a difference of opinion.

As for the "lot and lots" (I assume that is a sum greater than 2) of Panny owners having IR, I can't speak on their behalf, I can only speak as I find. 100 hours run in is a bit short though, you really should have aimed for 250-300 hours.

adriano

Hi all

Heres a fact for you-
The Kuro is now pretty much 10ys old
All these things have a finite lifespan
Where are you going to get eg a replacement panel from when they pack up?

Like mine has.
Twice
First time was a power unit issue - guess when? One week after the 5year guarantee was up:facepalm:

Got it fixed - no bother for a bit and then Ive now got a vertical line of red pixels in the bottom left a third of the way in going from the bottom a third of the way up. Panels gone and I'm told there's no way to fix that and there are no spare panels kicking about.......

It was a great TV and I use it as a spare now. Never a hint of image retention tho. And the panels also got the red tint.........

Wouldnt buy a second hand one now in this day and ages disposable culture
Buy something new - at least it'll get replaced if it packs up early

Just my thoughts

A

generalgizmo

Hi all

Heres a fact for you-
The Kuro is now pretty much 10ys old
All these things have a finite lifespan
Where are you going to get eg a replacement panel from when they pack up?

Like mine has.
Twice
First time was a power unit issue - guess when? One week after the 5year guarantee was up:facepalm:

Got it fixed - no bother for a bit and then Ive now got a vertical line of red pixels in the bottom left a third of the way in going from the bottom a third of the way up. Panels gone and I'm told there's no way to fix that and there are no spare panels kicking about.......

It was a great TV and I use it as a spare now. Never a hint of image retention tho. And the panels also got the red tint.........

Wouldnt buy a second hand one now in this day and ages disposable culture
Buy something new - at least it'll get replaced if it packs up early

Just my thoughts

A
That kinda sucks.. sorry to hear that.:eek:
I have to admit I've been ok with mine 9yrs and if went bang not sure what I would buy.. most likely oled but nearly 2k to replace the 5090 or 3k for the 65 inch to replace my krp600.. and although oled has great pq has other issues I've never had with my tv which would drive me mad..
You are right as its always best to buy new but depends how much £s someone has got I cant tell someone to buy new if they need a tv I dont know their situation and could be skint... Or it could be if you just want the tv to tie you over for a yr or two :thumbsup: till other tech matures a bit more (without motion stutter .. tints etc) I know no tv is perfect Pioneer too...
I went crazy after I got the red tint after 2 yrs on my kuro and hearing its "normal" from the makers after it cost me over 2k.. but to me it' the best out of a so called bunch and least I found a fix for it which is pretty simple..
All the best..

adriano

That kinda sucks.. sorry to hear that.:eek:
I have to admit I've been ok with mine 9yrs and if went bang not sure what I would buy.. most likely oled but nearly 2k to replace the 5090 or 3k for the 65 inch to replace my krp600.. and although oled has great pq has other issues I've never had with my tv which would drive me mad..
You are right as its always best to buy new but depends how much £s someone has got I cant tell someone to buy new if they need a tv I dont know their situation and could be skint... Or it could be if you just want the tv to tie you over for a yr or two :thumbsup: till other tech matures a bit more (without motion stutter .. tints etc) I know no tv is perfect Pioneer too...
I went crazy after I got the red tint after 2 yrs on my kuro and hearing its "normal" from the makers after it cost me over 2k.. but to me it' the best out of a so called bunch and least I found a fix for it which is pretty simple..
All the best..

Hey

Yup agree with what you say totally
I have just got the LG G7 - needed it before xmas but would've waited til after CES if I could have......:(
Bought a DX902 last year aswell, so you just end up taking a massive hit :suicide:

And yeah it does depend on the situation - a 2nd hand kuro to keep you going for a bit makes sense whilst you're waiting for the next great thing if youve got the money, especially as a 2nd tv, (which is what I use mine as) but - I'd hate for Sir Swede to spend a good few hundred squids on it as his main tv then it packs up especially if its one of the 2009 ones - like mine!
And then he cant get it fixed............

But yeah I still think its a fab tv with fewer probs than some of the new tech.........
Great blacks, good motion, solid picture but only 1080p, red tints, packed up twice etc etc!

A

generalgizmo

Yeah it is a risk just depends how quickly someone wants to get rid of the Pioneer if theyv'e got a new screen arriving and need it gone could pick up a bargain..As far as the red tint goes I just got a Logitech remote control and got it programmed to access the tv service menu so was pretty easy.. no more red just back to blacks...hopefully if SirSwede is picking up the kuro it will treat him well...
:smashin: