1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How was the first PlayStation received

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by mikeq, Nov 8, 2002.

1. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I posted a question in another thread, which has now been locked. The question was

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    Hi all,

I'm quite new to the games console scene, I have an xbox and my son has a PS2.

When the first Playstation came out was there similar discussions/arguments about which was the best games console available, and that the PS1 would never be any good etc etc.

or was it clear from the start that the PS would be the best thing since sliced bread?

Just curious as I don't have a strong view on which console is better. Personally I bought an xbox because I wanted that one and my son got a PS2 because he wanted that one.

Mike
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I received a reply from Sinzer, thanks Sinzer. Although that reply was more about why the PS2 became popular.

I was more curious about the reception the first PlayStation received compared to the other consoles available at the time, as I wasn't really into games consoles when it was released, I was wondering if the same discussions/arguments went on about the PlayStation 1 vs 'Current popular console' as we now see about the XBox vs the PS2.

Mike

2. James45

James45
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    changed the face of modern gaming... made it cool.

3. common

common

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Made it cool...with a little help from Wipeout

Sold on a one to one basis with the Playstation.

Really exciting times when a product actually met and exceded expectations

4. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    mikeq: Sorry your discussion got lost. If you're asking a new question on a different subject though it's always a good idea to start a new thread.

Where Sony scored big time was making it OK to own a console if you weren't a kid. Suddenly a lot of people who'd fancied a console for ages were free to go and get one without stigma. I think the average age for a console owner (as I keep reminding my girlfriend :) ) is now up to 23 and still rising.

I know when I bought my PS1, I saw it as being in a totally different market to the Saturn because of games like Wipeout (the N64 wasn't out at the time).

5. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Ahhh let me see

<Rocks on the porch, with a pipe in his hand>

That was back in the good ol' days of the SNES.

I remember now..............

Basically, the SNES was coming to an end, the Mario games had dried up and Donkey Kong Country 3 was the only main release. The Sega Saturn was launched along with the PSX, SEGA thought they had it in the bag, a release ahead of Nintendo and only an unheard of name in the gaming market for 2nd Gen competition.

They had lots of big arcade tie-ins, Daytona, Panzer Dragoon, Virtua Fighter. They had it made, unfortunately, they bet a lot on Sonic, and this didn't shift the units they expected.

PSX came out with Toshinden and Ridge Racer among the big titles. At the start both machines were pretty expensive, however Sony won because it started the price cuts we see today. They were very aggressive with pricing, Sega and Nintendo had always been fanboy based, this meant price was not a huge issue, people would pay for the name. This also tied in with the games being significantly different Mario vs Sonic etc.

However, the event of the PS from Sony was entirely different. Sony had very little in the way of internal development. This meant they had to buy a lot of support from 3rd parties, platforms became more homogenous to some extent, you could get a lot of games across all platforms. Yet, SONY bought the exclusives, ploughing in cash to developers and riding the crest of some rifts between Nintendo and certain other developers. SONY's aim was to be very open, they produced development kits that were cheap or even gave them away, everyone had access to huge libraries (notice a lot of games shared sound effects etc.!).

This got them a lot of support, then SONY produced the killers, Wipeout, GT, Tekken, Final Fantasy, these games formed the backbone for their sales. This ensured the success....... and you can see the way MS are operating, the same key principles, price cuts to get the support of the customer and open development and cash to get the support of games companies.

I hope this helps!

6. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember being blown away with the Playstation when I got one. I can't remember how many hours were spent playing Battle Arena Toshinden. Looking back it seems strange, but at the time, I thought this was the greatest game ever made. It looks dated now, but it was certainly fun at the time.

Another huge deal for the PS was the link cable. We had two Playstations in the house in college, so we would rent an extra copy of Doom to play on both machines.

There was also that great flying/shooting game where you were some kind of ship with guns and rockets. I know that's not a lot to go with, but it was out very early in the system's life. (name was something like warhawk?) Whatever it was, it rocked.

7. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all,

That was helpful.

Mike

8. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Better late than never......
    My younger brother got one not longer after it was released. I remember playing it for the first time and being totally amazed at the graphic capability. Everything looked amazing. It truly was gaming on a new level. As mentioned already Sonys marketing strategy for this new technology was handled with fantastic aplomb (c. Ron Manager). It was now cool to own a games console whatever your age. :)

9. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hehe I also remember when I bought the PSX in the wee early hours of its launch. I bought a PSX, mem card, pad and Ridge Racer (ssshh... It was good back then!).

Anyway about its history...

Adding on what Sinzer said about the SNES, Nintendo wanted to extend the lifespan of the SNES by introducing a hardware add-on. The NES had many in Japan (networking, floppy drives, R.O.B... Okay R.O.B shouldn't be there but it an odd invention nevertheless ^_^). So basically the SNES was in line for the next update... Along came Sony (which made the Audio chip of the SNES) and they created a CD add-on for the SNES called the "PlayDrive" or something like that... As Nintendo and Sony were about to put pen to paper to the contract to manufacture this baby, Nintendo cut them short and went with Panasonic instead. Sony was obviously a bit cheesed off and so developments were made for the PSX...

Now the hype around the PSX and the Sega Saturn I recall was huge but to different camps of gamers. Sega wanted to extend its arcade line and so primarily built the Sega Saturn as a 2D powerhouse with 3D capabilities - Thus would appeal to the hardcore gamer which was the main market at this era. Basically Sega thought the future was with 2D and 3D was a fad (since Virtual Reality never got off the mark).

Sony basically saw how Sega developed Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter and the like and pushed hard for 3D performance. They included a hardware chip to decode MPEG2 and several (7?) seperate chips to deal with 3D.

Once Sega caught wind of the PSX's power they rushed to Hitachi (which provided off the shelf components to build the Saturn) and asked for more 3D horsepower which was done via extra 3D texture chips.

Other hardware issues aside (and believe me, there are many!) the consoles launched and Sega was the first one out. At £400. Ouch.

Now Sega had a very strong brand name thanks to the Genesis and its arcade roots. Virtua Fighter, Virtua Cop, Virtual On, Sonic and Daytona were just a few brand names that would sell millions in Japan.

Sony on the other hand had no franchises of their own being the new kid so they got the help of Namco. Namco and Sega were going head-to-head for the best Arcade honours so it made sense. Daytona Vs Ridge Racer. Tekken Vs Virtua Fighter. In terms of known franchises Sega had the upper hand but then came the home conversions...

Sega took the lead with the superb Virtua Fighter against the weak Toshinden, yet while VF had the upper hand in gameplay Toshinden already gave gamers a taste of its power... "Alpha blending" or transparencies was a word often used by the Sony camp and Toshinden has plenty of eye candy against the bland looking VF.

Hype now was going OTT in Japan for the Saturn while in Europe and the USA Sega made far too many mistakes - They replaced the standard RGB Scart cable with the poor composite cable as part of the package, a very rushed port of Daytona (the 3D map was clipped by the in-game cars o_O) and high price just made matters worse.

To rub it in the PSX was flying out of shops thanks to the lower pricepoint of £300, Namco and WipEout. That game alone almost sold with the console with a ratio of 1:1 and it brought gaming out of the hardcore scene into the "trendy" massmarket. Add that to Sony's slick adverts and support to popular sports (Juventus sponsor, boxing etc) it helped establish a global trendy name to go alongside the brand Sony.

The culture and attitude towards gamers now started to change. No longer were gamers looked down upon... Culture finally had accepted videogames as a form of acceptable entertainment.

Playing videogames was now trendy. Playing videogames on the PSX made you cool.

I could easily triple the length of this post explaining how else Sony dominated the market thanks to their ability and Sega's mistakes but I'll spare you that ^_^ Fact is Sony single-handily changed the global perspective of how videogames should be perceived and have expanded on that global vision with the PS2. Of course Sony should not take all of the credit because if it were not for Namco, Square, Enix, GameArts, Konami, Capcom, EA (urgh), Acclaim etc then the brand would not be as strong as it is now.

10. -=Kamikaze=-

-=Kamikaze=-
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  11. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seem to remember paying 300 notes for it as well....cant say if that was just the console or with a game....memorys a little hazy

But it was a fine console and playing stuff in 3d for the 1st time was very cool........

Ahhh those days playing wipEout and getting nicely toasted.....

Just didnt like the PS2 when it came out as the graphics looked inferior to the pc....and i was into online gaming by then..

I also have a 3DO which i bought 3 months b4 ps1 came out....i thought that was the future of gaming then....how wrong i was..

Still it was a nice looking console...still kicking around in the loft with a copy of the 1st and best ..need for speed..Now that was a game...

12. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I believe it was £300 just for the console and one pad... Could be wrong because it was quite some time ago now. Did anyone actually like Jumping Flash by any chance? At the time I thought it was quite fun and unique...

The PS2 was badly rushed into the market and it showed in the initial manufacturing process and the early games... Especially Ridge Racer V. It did take a good couple of months to pick up but the potential was always there... And since Sony had the big japanese companies backing it up from the off I had a feeling that it would at least meet such big expectations laid on it. So far I feel that the PS2 still hasn't been pushed near its limits so the next generation of titles from the big guns should show off what the console can do.

13. Noman

Noman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When everyone else was playing SEGA MEGA and PS1 I had a NEO GEO console with all the great SNK arcade games, Fatal Fury, King of fighters etc. It was the only game console with "arcade quality" at the time. When the production of DC came to an end I baught it cheap together with a bunch of good games. Very good machine, not worth changing to a PS2 ,IMHO.

So I will skip the Xbox and PS2. I wonder wat´s behind the next corner?

14. Respectamonkeee

Respectamonkeee
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im still playing all the neo geo greats.....

thanx to my handy emulator (have all the roms honest)

15. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I remember having a racing game on the PSX that was diabolical. The graphics were good but the handling was appaling. I gave it away to a kid in the end. I think it was Ridge Racer but it might have been Rage Racer. Was there a difference? Did Rage racer actually exist or am I going senile?

S

16. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Yes, there was a game called Rage Race, but it might well have been Ridge Racer that your talking about. The handling was ridiculously unrealistic. In Ridge Racer's defence though, it was an almost perfect conversion of the arcade original. Unfortunately that included not adding any circuits beyond the original one-and-a-half.

17. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Neo-Geo ::salutes:: What a superb platform... Even though the carts were stupidly expensive (because it was the actual arcade ROM) hence perfect ports. My fave games for the Neo-Geo are Samurai Showdown VI, ShockTroopers II, Blazing Star, KoF and of course the Metal Slug games. Shame the Neo-Geo CD was quite poor due to its 1x speed CD drive.. Had to wait hours for any game to load >_<

As for the racer.. It probably was Ridge Racer. At the time though it was pretty good as an arcade title however it hasn't aged well at all.