• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

How Upgradeable Are Laptops

willwoll100

Established Member
I'm a complete newbie to laptops and have always built my own desktops. Having looked around for laptops I've seen some with onboard graphics and some with independent graphics. Now my question is can you add a graphics card at a later date. I've been looking at an ACER Aspire 5742 or a TOSHIBA Satellite L650-12P, just how upgradeable are they?

Cheers

Will

ducattigezzer

Established Member
the answer is no to the 2 laptops you mention for graphics

you can upgrade ram,cpu,harddrive,dvd drive in most laptops

but the graphics gpu on cheaper lower end laptops are usually soldered on to the main-board even if they say it's dedicated graphics it can be still hard soldered to the board

your looking at high laptops to be able to change the gpu's but then you pay a premium to change the gpu usually half the price of what the laptop cost.

their has been some talk about external graphics cards for laptops but the one i know about are very expensive and are like hens teeth very rare

all in all with laptops you have to buy the best for your budget as thinking you can just upgrade like a desktop will be very expensive

here are a couple of interesting reads

External Graphics Upgrade for Notebooks : Upgrading your Laptop

MXM Upgrade Home Page

kobe74

Standard Member
there are laptops that have removing gfx cards, but are quite rare, and the cards are quite expensive.
other that in most laptops the memory and hard drive are upgradeable quite easily, just remove a flap at the bottom and component is accessibly, however cpu upgrade requires total disassembly of the laptop to access it.

mejinks

Standard Member
Even with some of the so called gaming laptops, you only get an AMD 5650 and you are paying a huge premium. To get removable i.e mxm type graphics cards, you have to pay a lot of money.

One of the best value gaming laptops at the moment it the Asus G73 range, although you will have to import them as if you get it in this country, they translate the dollars directly into pounds and add 25%

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom