how to ?

jaypam27

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got some speaker cable, Audioquest FLX-SLiP 14/4, It has 4 strands, green, red, black and white.

I am connecting to a pair of B&W 685's and then into a Yamaha RX-V373.

I am quite new to this, does anyone know what color strand will connect to which terminal on the speakers and the amp ?

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks

Hi all,

I just got some speaker cable, Audioquest FLX-SLiP 14/4, It has 4 strands, green, red, black and white.

I am connecting to a pair of B&W 685's and then into a Yamaha RX-V373.

I am quite new to this, does anyone know what color strand will connect to which terminal on the speakers and the amp ?

Any help would be much appreciated, Thanks
On the speaker ends, it doesn't really matter which colour to which terminal, as long as the same colour goes to the same polarity on the amp.
For biwiring: If you connect [High+ to Red, Low+ to Green], [High- to black, Low- to White] then on the amp side, [Red and Green to the + terminal] and [Black and White to - terminal].

Can't remember if the 373 can bi-amp (passively) but if it can that will be slightly different to biwire case above.

Since you are new, I recommend the followings:
  • Use an easy to remember convention. Like the example above, coloured strands to +, no colour to -. Or since your speakers are B&W, no colour to +, coloured to -. Whichever way, keep it consistent to all the speakers.
  • Unless your equipments are going to be in the same place for a long time, get some good banana plugs. They make things a lot more convenient to rearrange stuff as you can plug and unplug with ease (instead of fiddling with cable and connectors). They also reduce the chance of any loose strand shorting your terminals.

Nice speakers, btw. :thumbsup:

Thankyou so much, I shall give it a try when I get home.

Yes they are lovely speakers, my babies :D

Sorry, forgot to ask, I assume I will need to connect 2 strands to one terminal on the amp side ? There are only 2 + and 2 -, is this correct ?

Thanks,

J

Yes, unless you are bi-amping, you connect the 2 cable + to the - terminal (for example, if you are connecting front right speaker then both + from the front right speaker goes to the amp front right + terminal) and 2 cable - to the amp - terminal.

ok thanks, if i choose not to bi-wire i can just use 2 of the 4 strands right ?

i read a thread where bi-wiring seems as though it is not worth doing ?

thanks for your help

ok thanks, if i choose not to bi-wire i can just use 2 of the 4 strands right ?

i read a thread where bi-wiring seems as though it is not worth doing ?

thanks for your help
If you are not bi-wiring then connect both the red and green to a single + terminal on the speaker and the other end (of both) to the + of the amp; and the black and white to the a single - terminal on the speaker and the - on the amp.
Of course, you need 2 "bridges" to connect the 2 + on the speakers together (and the 2 - together). Those should be included with the speakers.

Yes, bi-wiring is not worth doing. However, your cable is bi-wiring cable (it has 4 cores) so just using 2 of the 4 strands is wasting it.

digging up and old thread,

how did you get on with biwiring the FLX-SLiP 14/4

I heard it causes it to lose sound quality?

digging up and old thread,

how did you get on with biwiring the FLX-SLiP 14/4

I heard it causes it to lose sound quality?

It will only lose quality if the cross sectional area of the cable is insufficient for the length of cable needed and the impedance of the speakers, otherwise it is just copper wire underneath its fancy clothing and associated marketing - Semi-Solid Concentric Packed Conductors is a good one, so that's strands of wire then :smashin:

Hi all!

I've got these cables which I use with the Marantz M-CR610 and Q Acoustics 2020i and the shop where I bought the cables say:

RED & WHITE together for RED terminals
BLACK and GREEN together for BLACK terminals

Which I've done. My question is, is it better to have it this way or have it as mentioned above in previous posts. My speaker end has bananas, maybe red & white together etc... Any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Superfly

I've got these cables which I use with the Marantz M-CR610 and Q Acoustics 2020i and the shop where I bought the cables say:

RED & WHITE together for RED terminals
BLACK and GREEN together for BLACK terminals
Which I've done. My question is, is it better to have it this way or have it as mentioned above in previous posts.

As has already been said 'On the speaker ends, it doesn't really matter which colour to which terminal, as long as the same colour goes to the same polarity on the amp.'

There is no difference at all between the 4 cable cores; other than the insulation colour, which is simply to aid identification of the 4 cores at each end.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom