1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to you choose a tv

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by weeduggy, Mar 21, 2003.

1. weeduggy

weeduggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently bought a yamaha home cinema system and i am looking for a tv to complement it. Its a dvx s80 system. dvd s80 player and avx s80 amp. As it is obviously 5.1 system with dolby pro logic 11 i am looking for a tv that doesn't have surround or virtual surround. It is purely a means of watching the picture. I think 32" would be best but its so confusing looking at all the options. Can any body help? icant stretch to plasma and i am fairly restricted on budget. I am a newbie to this scene so any help would be greatly aprreciated. thanks

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's your budget? In a big room? Distance from screen?

3. weeduggy

weeduggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MY budget is abot 6-8 hundred at a push as a new baby is on the way. We have a fairlysmall front room about 6m by 4m with the tv at the narrow end.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    A few more questions!
    What do you want to watch on it? Cable, Sky, Terr Digital?
    What inputs do you want? (match outputs on current gear)
    Do you have a console?(as above)
    Any brands you love/hate?
    Budget?(important factor)
    Location?(local dealers/stores)

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
  6. weeduggy

weeduggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have sky connected currently and don't intend to change. i don't have a console so thats not an issue(assuming you mean games) connections wise everthing is hooked up via scarts at the moment i'm assuming i would stick with purely through ease of conection. i'm not sure I would notice a great difference with other connections. i currently have a sony tv and have no problems with it in 5 years its just not widescreen. i've reading a few posts slagging of panasonic but brand doesn't really matter. I Currently live near wolverhampton so i have access to anywhere in the country really. BUdget £600-800 quid. thanks for your help on this

weeduggy

7. weeduggy

weeduggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers for the help
    weedugggy

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Well there are a couple of sony sets in your budget. I'm from that part of the world, where exactly(townwise)? are you i can try and reconmend afew dealers to try but if you are on a buegt i would probably say buy over the net from a well reveiwed and respected dealer. Keep some cash in your pocket for the new arrival (not the TV).
    Krish av had had some good reveiws from users.
    http://www.krishav.co.uk/SONY_TV.html

9. weeduggy

weeduggy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Albrighton but i was thinking of buying over the net as well. I think i will got to currys and comet and the like and find one that i want and then go from there.
    thanks again

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Beatties in wolves is a good place to demo as are a couple of the smaller shops around that area, cant remember names. Comet currys are not the best places to look as the staff are often useless and enviroment is too bright. Downing & Downing in stourbridge are good but expensive! There are more but i can't remember them at the moment.

11. afleming

afleming
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Choosing atv is very subjective and you must bear in mind that none are perfect. however with your budget there certain options yiou can look at.

28" sony kv28ls60 is at comet online for £619 this is a good telly although some people have had buzzing ones, my parents bought one and it does not buzz and are very happy with it.
    the kv32ls60 is also a good set but some do buzz as well. However if you get one that buzzes just ring em up and rejetc it straight away and they will send you another. i had no problem with returning a tv to comet.

The toshiba 32zd26 is another good set but this is £900

also if you can still get one a lot of people have been happy with the picture quality on the sony kv32fx66 ( me included and mine does not buzz) . I picked it up for 850 so that may be within your budget.

My two friends have also bought panny 28" pl10s and are also very happy with them although i cannot vouch for the 32" models.

hope this helps.
    andy