1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to wire up two amps???

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by ragingsmiffy, Oct 20, 2001.

1. ragingsmiffy

ragingsmiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have two pioneer amps. a vsa303 and a vsx 859 rds. now what i want to do is use the 303 to run the extra rear speakers or speaker. 6.1/7.1. the 859 has the decoder in it for the extra channels but an amp is needed to power them. as i only have room for 1 more speaker i was thinking of having another centre speaker at the rear. so how do i connect all this up? which speaker terminal on the 303 do i use? would i be better using 2 rears + the other 5 speakers or will the extra rear centre be ok?
    lots of questions here i know but any info would be great.thanks

2. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The easy way:

Connect one of the pre-outs from the 859 to any free input (e.g. AUX), L or R, of the 303 and connect the speaker to the L or R output. Level the volume with a SPL meter and done.

The "complicated" way:

Connect both pre-outs of the 859 to the input at the 303 and bi-wire the additional center rear speaker if the speakers allows bi-wiring.

Depending on your room size and listening positions I would assume two add. speakers would be of advantage.

3. nekaj

nekaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem. I have pioneer 859 and onkyo 575. should I connect both preouts to L&R and then wire one speaker from Left or right front speaker input. Or should i wire it from centre terminal ?
    If you connect both preouts,how dou you set mode in onkyo (stereo or disconnect all other speaker, or...).

4. nekaj

nekaj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm planning of using one speaker. My question is which of the preouts should i use, surround back left or surround back right (does it matter)?. Is it noticable difference betwen one or two speaker for the surr back channels (since it's only DTS matrix and DD EX)? And will I be losing any information with one speaker only ?

Thanks.

5. Lowrider

Lowrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    They get the same signal, the reason there are two is that the sound coming from rear center fools you into thinking it comes from the front...

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Matjaz, how many speakers do you want to connect?

If there are two use the L&R route but if it's one you can do as I suggested before - or use one pre-out connected to the center input of the 5.1 input at the 575 (I assume it has 5.1 input) and then wire to the center speaker terminal. The 575 has to be switched to external/5.1 input then with all processing off.

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    As lowrider says they get the same signal, so it does not matter and nothing will get lost.
    As you normally can buy speakers as pairs only (except center) why not wire up both?
    Try to match with the existing rears, i.e. same brand/series/model if they are not to expensive.