1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to wire up speakers to 2 amps?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by (GTV)Chris, Oct 2, 2004.

1. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry if this has landed in the wrong section.
    I have a Dolby 5.1 setup and now want to by a dedicated music amp.
    How do I attach the front two speakers to both systems, whilst retaining the quality??

Cheers

Chris

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Chris,
    I'm not entirely sure what your trying to do. But if your trying to have a stereo only system from an AV amp then you should be able to connect a stereo power amp via the AV amps Pre outs (Usually RCA or XLR). You would then be using the AV amp as a stereo Pre amp.
    You would run the speaker cable into the speaker outputs on the power amp only.
    HTH

3. (GTV)Chris

(GTV)Chris
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hI nightshade

What I want to do is have my Yamaha 5.1 decoder for films and then have a dedicated amp for music. My yammy isn't best suited to music but sounds great with movies.
    I have B&W speakers all round.
    Thanks for your advice

Cheers

Chris

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Chris - It isn't adviseable to connect the speakers to both amps at the same time if that is what you are thinking and the way that Deadly Knightshade suggested is the usual way to run both a stereo and AV amp together

5. NaimBoy

NaimBoy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Chris,

This is the same route I'm going down, albeit from the opposite direction as I've only got the stereo at the moment.

As Knightshade has said, you'll need to plug the front L&R speakers into the stereo amp only. Plug your music source (CD, LP etc) into the stereo amp - leave your DVD player plugged into the Yamaha. Then it's just a case of taking the Front L&R pre-outs from the Yamaha (I'm assuming it has them otherwise this is a non-starter....) and plugging them into an unused pair of inputs on the stereo amp. When you want to listen to music you only need the source and the stereo amp on, when you want to listen to movies you'll need both amps on.

Unless your new stereo amp has what's called a 'Unity Gain' input (one that bypasses the volume control) you'll need to make sure you set it at a consistent level each time you use it for movies otherwise your AV sound calibration will go out the window. Most people seem to set the volume control on their stereo amp to the 12 o'clock position.

Hope this helps,
    Mark