Question How to wire up a new CX ?

Spy

Hi all,

What is the best, most optimal way of wiring up all my components in order to maximise both the sound and the picture quality from various sources ?

Here are the components:
- TV: LG CX TV
- AVR: Sony 1080 AV Receiver
- Source: Nvidia Shield 4K Pro
- Source: Virgin V6 box

For example,
- should I connect all the sources to the Sony AVR and output the picture to the LG whilst passing back the sound from the in-built TV tuner and on-board LG apps to the AVR through eARC ?

Should I do this with just the one cable ?

or

- Should I connect certain components through the AVR (eg the Virgin box) and others direct to the TV (eg the Nvidia box) ?

Do I need one HDMI cable connected to the eARC port of the TV and the ARC port of the Sony AVR or one HDMI for eARC from the TV and one for the picture form the AVR to the TV ?

or

- Some other configuration ?

Also, if I add a next gen console in the future, I assume that should be connected direct to the TV (to take advantage of HDMI 2.1) and again output the sound to the AVR ?

Thanks for your help and advice

JBA6

I would use your first option "connect all the sources to the Sony AVR and output the picture to the LG whilst passing back the sound from the in-built TV tuner and on-board LG apps to the AVR through eARC".

I don't understand your next question "Should I do this with just the one cable ?". How can you make an ARC connection with more than one cable?

As for connecting a console in the future, again I would connect it to the AVR not the TV. My experience suggests that if you connect a media player, a console in this case, to an LG TV and then take the sound to the reproducing system (your AVR and speakers but the same would apply to a soundbar) you'll find the sound is delayed with respect to the video and you won't be able to correct it. This won't be the case if your media player connects to the sound reproduction system which then feeds the video to the TV.

JB

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Everything into your Sony AVR except a next-gen console.

There is a caveat to that though.

If you connect the console to the TV you'll get the benefit of HDMI 2.1 but you'll lose any HD audio and drop down to DD5.1

A console that's not next-gen just hook it up to the AVR.

Spy

Thanks both for the advice. Through the Sony AVR it is then.

I don't understand your next question "Should I do this with just the one cable ?". How can you make an ARC connection with more than one cable?

I meant, do I use one HDMI cable from the Sony HDMI Out to the TV (for the picture from source devices connected to the AVR) and a separate HDMI cable from the LG's eARC port to an input on the Sony AVR for the Sound from the TV sources....or one cable to do both ?

Having looked at the back of my Sony AVR, I see the HDMI Out is the eARC connection as well so I guess only one cable is required. I will have to read up about how that works in practice, for example, if I want to watch and hear the Shield, I switch to the Shield input on the AVR. In this case, I am not sure what I would switch to to tell the AVR I want t hear the sound from the TV.

If you connect the console to the TV you'll get the benefit of HDMI 2.1 but you'll lose any HD audio and drop down to DD5.1

Would the audio from the console not be passed back to the AVR through the eARC connection ?

Last edited:

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Would the audio from the console not be passed back to the AVR through the eARC connection ?

I have the same AVR and didn't even realise it had eARC so I've just learned something after checking the specs. So in your case, yes it should.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom